• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should/do umpires "balance bad decisions with another bad decision?"

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
I read in the paper that Bucknor was accused of making three terrible decisions in the latest SL vs NZ test but "none of them were game changing" as Mills had already helped the game made safe for NZ and after Bucknor missing a Marshall edge he simply chopped him off him a few balls later

I saw that live and for me.....Bucknor knew damn well he had made a mistake and simply rectified it straight away.

Should they do this? I imagine they get a "feel" in the middle after the horse has bolted via the players body language etc that they had blown it

At the end of the day, they are just providing what is just and right and then they are being accused of making two bad decisions and told they are past it..........

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
often see two lbw appeals in quick succession, where the first one is probably more out than the second, but hte umpire gives the second after knocking back the first. bit of a "i tried to get you off the first time, but i'm not helping you this time buddy" effect

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Umpires should not balance off anything. That only results in two poor decisions which do nothing for the game.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Completely agree. Umpires should judge all appeals as to how they see them. It's more important to get the decision right than to "balance things out".

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Maestro said:
I read in the paper that Bucknor was accused of making three terrible decisions in the latest SL vs NZ test but "none of them were game changing" as Mills had already helped the game made safe for NZ and after Bucknor missing a Marshall edge he simply chopped him off him a few balls later

I saw that live and for me.....Bucknor knew damn well he had made a mistake and simply rectified it straight away.
Should they do this? I imagine they get a "feel" in the middle after the horse has bolted via the players body language etc that they had blown it

At the end of the day, they are just providing what is just and right and then they are being accused of making two bad decisions and told they are past it..........
A lot of people would disagree as to whether they were not game changing including Martin Crowe, Mark Richardson, Gavin Larsen,Brian Waddle, Ian Smith, Kevin Sharp, Tony Blain .....and the list goes on.

Before I am accused of dwelling on this, may I say I just mentioned this only to put the record straight and not for any other reason !! :D :D

Bucknor tried to correct one of his mistakes, within a few balls by making a very glaring mistake, but did not correct the latter mistakes !!

Getting back to the original question, when an Umpire makes a mistake, should he try and make another mistake in order to correct the original mistake - IMO, no he should not !!
Peter Manual in Sri Lanka did something similar in Sri Lanka in 2001, when having made terrible decisions against England in favour of SL in the first Test, which English Media and Fans did not quite rightly take kindly, he went the other way in the next 2 Tests deliberately giving decisions in favour of England and against his own country (SL)
which in no small way helped England win that otherwise close series 2-1 . Peter who tried to please everyone ended up despised by all including his own countrymen. :D :D I am not sure what's come of Peter since !!

I would be very disappointed if in the next Test the Umps did anything of that kind to favour SL !! And I would be first on this forum to criticise the Ump who does that.

IMO two wrongs do not make a right and don't make a second mistake to correct the first !!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Two bad decision equals one good decision i don't think so, any umpire who does this shouldn't be umpiring in Tests, period.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What I don't get is how this Vincent one was supposedly an incorrect call.

If the TV replays not conclusive, how is Bucknor wrong?

psxpro

Banned
Yea the vincent discisionw as inconclusive, don't read what rochard boock says.

I actually think they should balance it out, if they know they have made a mistake then make up for it with another close one, but only in the same match.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't think it can ever be excusable for anyone to ever make a wrong decision knowingly and intentionally.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The job of the umpire is to get as many decisions right as possible, simple as that. No umpire should ever intentionally give a wrong decision.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
JASON said:
A lot of people would disagree as to whether they were not game changing including Martin Crowe, Mark Richardson, Gavin Larsen,Brian Waddle, Ian Smith, Kevin Sharp, Tony Blain .....and the list goes on.

Try and make sense JASON. 8-)

So all of these commenatators and those on some other mysterious list said that the decisions I mentioned WERE game changing? Give me a break........its quite obvious thats a pack of lies

The lbw comment vic made is an interesting one, I tend to think if you are continously being hit on the pad and the shouts are close you have little to complain about if another 50/50 or even 60/40 one doesnt go your way........

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Peter Manual in Sri Lanka did something similar in Sri Lanka in 2001, when having made terrible decisions against England in favour of SL in the first Test, which English Media and Fans did not quite rightly take kindly, he went the other way in the next 2 Tests deliberately giving decisions in favour of England and against his own country (SL)
which in no small way helped England win that otherwise close series 2-1 .
Do you have actual proof of this?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clearly Bucknor should be dropped from the elite panel. He has just got far too much wrong this summer

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its a shame cos he used to be excellent/my favourite umpire

I guess his eyes and ears are starting to wane.......

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
Try and make sense JASON. 8-)

So all of these commenatators and those on some other mysterious list said that the decisions I mentioned WERE game changing? Give me a break........its quite obvious thats a pack of lies

The lbw comment vic made is an interesting one, I tend to think if you are continously being hit on the pad and the shouts are close you have little to complain about if another 50/50 or even 60/40 one doesnt go your way........
Some of those decision in the article, which is overhyped, weren't game chaging but there were ones earlier in the match that were. But does it really matter umpire/referee are always going to make mistakes mistakes in what ever sport you follow, their only human. Even with the help of technology, the Vincent catch, umpire are still making mistakes. In some games you get the rub of the green in other games you don't get the rub of the green that just the way it is. If you look at the current umpires their only four to six umpires of any standard and even them get a fair amount of decisions wrong. In saying that we really can't expect them to get 100% of decison righ, as much as we like them to, cus players make mistakes so if their not perfect then why do we expect umpires to be perfect.

psxpro

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
The job of the umpire is to get as many decisions right as possible, simple as that. No umpire should ever intentionally give a wrong decision.

No, the job of a umpire is to make it a fair match where the team that plays best wins.
For example, Hamish marshall was not given out after clearly edging a ball. Maybe bucknor found out, 2 balls later he got a shocking lbw decisions, but I was actually not disappointed at all as it balanced out.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
No, the job of a umpire is to make it a fair match where the team that plays best wins.
For example, Hamish marshall was not given out after clearly edging a ball. Maybe bucknor found out, 2 balls later he got a shocking lbw decisions, but I was actually not disappointed at all as it balanced out.
It wasn't that bad they changed the LBW rule when you get hit on the full. There is no doubt it was swing down leg side but, it hit him on leg stump on the full so technically it was out.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOoad said:
The job of the umpire is to get as many decisions right as possible, simple as that.
psxpro said:
No, the job of the umpire is to get as many decisions right as possible, simple as that. I can't believe the title of this thread is phrased as a question.

And Bucknor's days on the international panel surely must be numbered. He has been below standard for some time now.