• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatmore or Chappel?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dav Whatmore has joined in the race to replace John Wright. He said that his contract with Bangladesh ends April 30th and that the prospect of coaching India excites him. But Ganguly has already made it pretty clear that he wants Chappel for the job. Who would you prefer?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
haha there us an article on cricinfo with the main candidates, funnily enough, all have massive links to Australia

Marsh, Chappell, Moody, Wahtmore, Rixon or Buchanan

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not Buchanan, I question that guy's knowledge of the game. He has come out with some rather bizarre comments over the years, with perhaps the most bizarre being the one about teaching future cricketers to be ambidextrous for their batting and bowling.

I believe Moody was an average player in both departments and lacks sufficient coaching experience - I don't see the class Indian players listening to this guy. Rixon is another guy that lacks international experience or respect with the players.

Whatmore is an ideal choice, he has extensive experience coaching subcontinental sides, with amazing success with Sri Lanka and vast improvement with Bangladesh. The Indian job would show a gradual progression in his coaching career.

Chappel is another good choice, he will definately have the instant respect of the team simply because of what he has done in the game. But, unlike Whatmore, it is believed he is not willing to live in India and commands a far higher salary...definately the expensive option here.

Marsh should be employed to re-structure the Indian academy system, much like he did with the Australian Institute of Sport and the ECB's youth set-up. I think India badly needs some critical evaluation of its structure beyond the national team.

Keep in mind, a lot of these guys are also in contention for the South African job...so this may affect India's choices.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
vvk said:
Not Buchanan, I question that guy's knowledge of the game. He has come out with some rather bizarre comments over the years, with perhaps the most bizarre being the one about teaching future cricketers to be ambidextrous for their batting and bowling.

I believe Moody was an average player in both departments and lacks sufficient coaching experience - I don't see the class Indian players listening to this guy. Rixon is another guy that lacks international experience or respect with the players.

Whatmore is an ideal choice, he has extensive experience coaching subcontinental sides, with amazing success with Sri Lanka and vast improvement with Bangladesh. The Indian job would show a gradual progression in his coaching career.

Chappel is another good choice, he will definately have the instant respect of the team simply because of what he has done in the game. But, unlike Whatmore, it is believed he is not willing to live in India and commands a far higher salary...definately the expensive option here.

Marsh should be employed to re-structure the Indian academy system, much like he did with the Australian Institute of Sport and the ECB's youth set-up. I think India badly needs some critical evaluation of its structure beyond the national team.

Keep in mind, a lot of these guys are also in contention for the South African job...so this may affect India's choices.
Geoff Marsh has already worked as consultant for couple of years with the Indian Cricket Board. So I dont see why we need to hire him again within 2 years.

Tom Moody may not have the international coaching exp(Neither did Wright when he was hired) but Moody seems to have a great personality and leadership quality and is very well respected among Aussie and English Cricketer. He has been part of two world cup winning teams (which no current Indian player can boost of), so I dont any reason for Moody not getting respect from indian players.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatmore would be a better option than Greg Chappell. Proven credentials. If India wants to win the next World Cup, a person with a proven Track Record such as Whatmore would be the ideal choice.

BTW, Is it appropriate for Ganguly to make comments supporting one Candidate for the position publicly ?

shaka

International Regular
Maybe with Ganguly's form at the moment he feels his input will not be taken seriously!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure why Buchanan's name is on the list.

If Whatmore were available he'd be my pick for sure - getting himself a nice track record.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't want Whatmore to leave Bangladesh nor do I want Buchanan to leave Australia (which he almost certainly won't do). But I think that Whatmore's may already have the job.

shankar

International Debutant
The journalists would be thrilled if Whatmore gets the job. Just when they've beaten into the ground all the 'Wright-right' puns (Wright man for the job etc..), they get another coach with a very punnable name. What more can they ask for?

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
what cricinfo says abt whatmore:
Dav Whatmore
Sri Lanka 1995-97 and 1999-2003; Lancashire 1997-99; Bangladesh 2003-present

Whatmore's links with the subcontinent began in childhood: he was born in Colombo but brought up in Australia, where he played for Victoria. He also represented Australia with modest success in seven Tests. After some years coaching in Australia post-retirement, Whatmore returned to top-level cricket when in 1995 he took up an offer to coach Sri Lanka.

Whatmore's influence on Sri Lankan cricket was profound: his place in the nation's cricket history is as prominent as that of any of its great players. He took on a talented team and gave it the confidence and self-belief to think of conquering the world. He forged an outstanding coach-captain partnership with Arjuna Ranatunga, a similarly assertive figure.

Whatmore was responsible for a dramatic improvement in Sri Lanka's fitness standards, replacing their cursory exercise and warm-up regimens with gym work, swimming, and road running. Just as Australia won the 1987 World Cup by dint of superior strategy and planning, so Whatmore and Ranatunga brought home the trophy in 1996 with a superbly thought-out campaign that influenced the way teams around the world approached one-day cricket for years to come.

Whatmore's experience of cricket in the subcontinent is considerable: after leaving Sri Lanka in 1997 he returned for a second stint from 1999 to 2003, years in which Sri Lanka became arguably the most formidable Asian team at home. And after the 2003 World Cup he took up what some considered a hopeless assignment: coaching Bangladesh. Here, too, his declared intention was to change the team's defeatist mentality before anything else, and Bangladesh have showed steady improvement under him.

Like Wright, Whatmore is low-profile, working behind the scenes with training and organisation and allowing the captain to be the public face of the team. Better still, he has a highly developed sense of what it means to work with problems and concerns specific to an Asian cricket culture, an area in which some of the other contenders have no experience. Whatmore's contract with Bangladesh ends in June.

What they say "Dav is a very positive individual. He is assertive and clear about his ideas and has the desire to get results. In the process he gets the best out of the individual and the team. He has a powerful strategy and technique and places a lot of stress on mental toughness, mental skills, and physical fitness. That approach was pivotal in Sri Lanka becoming world champions. He is never aloof, always direct and honest, and always approachable." - Kumar Sangakkara

What he says "It would be a different challenge from the one I have at the moment and from the ones I've had in the past. The management of the group and maintaining a very positive environment will be very important. That's where I think my experience of the sub-continental environment will be an advantage. That and my being fourth-generation Sri Lankan with an Australian upbringing will come handy."

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not sure why Buchanan's name is on the list.

If Whatmore were available he'd be my pick for sure - getting himself a nice track record.

because his contract finishes in october i think

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
The Daily Star (Bangladesh's number 1 newspaper) reported that Whatmore is staying. My reliable source may have turned out to be not so reliable after all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the time has come for a new captain as well.... IMO, the coach and captain are a team and it is always better when a new captain starts out with a new coach...They may take time to settle down but it always helps, IMO. If, say Whatmore got the nod and he pitches for an idea to Sourav, Sourav might say "It is not how John would have done it...." I would hate it to happen.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
James90 said:
The Daily Star (Bangladesh's number 1 newspaper) reported that Whatmore is staying. My reliable source may have turned out to be not so reliable after all.

yes i hope he stays at Bangladesh for a long time yet :)