• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Foxtel to show womens final free :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Women's World Cup

Foxtel to telecast World Cup final live

Cricinfo staff

April 8, 2005
Cricket fans in Australia will get a chance to watch the Women's World Cup final in South Africa after television network Foxtel today secured the rights to show the game live from SuperSport Park in Pretoria. Australia will take on India on Sunday, April 10 in a repeat of the men's final in 2003 and Foxtel's coverage of the match will commence at 1800 (AEST) on its Main Event Channel.

"This is an outstanding result for Australian cricket fans," said James Sutherland, Cricket Australia's CEO. "And we are absolutely delighted with the support and enthusiasm shown by Foxtel and the Chief Executive of Fox Sports, David Malone, to bring the telecast of this game into Australia.

"Normally, the Main Event Channel is a pay-per-view channel," Sutherland added, "but once again Foxtel have put their support behind our women's team and advised that the match on Sunday will be telecast free of charge to Foxtel, Austar and Optus subscribers."

Australia had finished as runners-up in the last edition of the Women's World Cup in 2000 after suffering a heart-braking loss to New Zealand in the final. This time they start favourites after a comprehensive five-wicket win over England in the semis.

© Cricinfo

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
"Normally, the Main Event Channel is a pay-per-view channel," Sutherland added, "but once again Foxtel have put their support behind our women's team and advised that the match on Sunday will be telecast free of charge to Foxtel, Austar and Optus subscribers."

yes free :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's awesome news. Wow, I'm quite shocked that they'd do that, but equally pleased. Its at a good time, I may watch some women's cricket for the first time. :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Very cool.

Not just for women's cricket, but for cricket in general. It's good to see Foxtel paying some attention to cricket an attempting to promote it.

Another thing that I've noticed on Foxtel now is that ESPN are running a weekly series called "ESPNs History of Cricket" at 12pm every Friday. Today there was three hours of highlights from the 1977 Ashes series. For the big cricket buffs out there who don't have access to hundreds of hours of tapes from the past, this sort of thing is certainly worth watching.

Some great bowling performances from a young Ian Botham and Hendrick, and some great all-round performances from the likes of Tony Greig as well. Also cool to see greats like Derek Underwood, Greg Chappell and Doug Walters in action again.

Not sure what's on next week, but it's probably worth a look.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Holy crap Faaip, I never even knew about that show on ESPN. I have uni off on Fridays and am usually not out at 12-3 pm, so that is absolutely perfect.

I have GOTTA check that out next week.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Great work by Foxtel, looking forward to settling in for some quality womens cricket, I think I remember Foxtel broadcasting the last womens world cup final against NZ.

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah, the history of cricket series has been on ESPN in Australia for 2-3 years now. I've actually purchased the 6-dvd Box Set that includes the entire series...definately one of the better cricket productions out there.