• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best test slip fielders of all time

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah :) Flintoff is pretty good..not close to best in the world, but ive seen him take some miracles catches :) in the slips and ofcourse there is me :p :laugh: jk

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm certain we did this fairly recently, but anyway Junior Waugh was the best I ever saw. Graeme Hick top notch too, huge old mitts he has.

Beefy very good too, although I missed his absolute peak. His back probs affected him in his later career.

Of current players....Hmm....Freddie?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
a massive zebra said:
The best three are probably Bobby Simpson, Walter Hammond and Mark Waugh. Not necessarily in that order.
Dutch ICC throphy coach :D :happy:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeh in the present day flintoff is pretty damn good, there was one against the west indies when giles was bowling in one of the tests last year that stands out in my mind, although there indeed have been many other outstanding catches by fred

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
The best three are probably Bobby Simpson, Walter Hammond and Mark Waugh. Not necessarily in that order.
Impossible for the first 2 to be rated so highly, they played far too early in the centruy to have been challenged.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mark Waugh is the best Ive seen, no doubt

Shane Warne? I think Fleming is better than him

That drop thnat Warne did in the recent series vs NZ was a crack up, he ran all the way up to the bowler (Kaspa?) to give him a tip on how to bowl then ran back and dumped a simple chance ha ha ha ha ha ha

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If scorer kept a record of dropped catches we would have more of an idea who really is the best. From the guys i have seen Mark Waugh, Taylor and Brain McMillian were the best.

One current players Freddie, Warne and Fleming are pretty even, they all take some good ones and drop some easier ones.

C_C

International Captain
to pick a best is nigh impossible in this category..
but the ones who(off the top of my head) deserve mention are:

Mark Taylor, Mark Waugh, Shane Warne, Carl Hooper, Gary Sobers, Greg Chappell, Ian Botham, Viv Richards, Mohammed Azharuddin, Roshan Mahanama, Bob Simpson, Colin Cowdrey and Shane Warne.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
to pick a best is nigh impossible in this category..
but the ones who(off the top of my head) deserve mention are:

Mark Taylor, Mark Waugh, Shane Warne, Carl Hooper, Gary Sobers, Greg Chappell, Ian Botham, Viv Richards, Mohammed Azharuddin, Roshan Mahanama, Bob Simpson, Colin Cowdrey and Shane Warne.
So is that Shane Warne1 not on drugs and Shane Warne2 on drugs LOL :p

They seem about right, most Sri Lankan don't realise how good Mahanama was during his career, they only noticed when you Jayawardene and other drop sitters in the slips :@ . Man it would be good to have him back, even just as a fielder :D .