• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best test slip fielders of all time

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Some very interesting lists. was interesting to see how perceptions change or evolve over the years.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't believe I missed this one.

Jamie Siddons gets my vote. Yes I know he didn't play Tests but he something special.

Seriously, should have snagged a Test.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Martin Love was a great slipper as well, same era as Siddons and probably didn't play the amount of tests his talent deserved. Cleanest pair of hands.

Australia would love to have Love, Siddons and Stuart Law available in the state system (in their prime) right now. All three were kept out by a very strong middle order of Ponting, Martyn, S. Waugh, M. Waugh etc.

Debris

International 12th Man
Can't believe I missed this one.

Jamie Siddons gets my vote. Yes I know he didn't play Tests but he something special.

Seriously, should have snagged a Test.
This thread is going to spiral out of control if we start including non-test players.

kingkallis

International Coach
Mark Taylor, Mark Waugh, Brian McMilan, Mohammad Azharuddin, Shane Warne, Carl Hooper, Andrew Flintoff...

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say that the best two cordons I would have seen is Taylor, Waugh and Warne and lara, Hooper and Richardson.
Apart from those two groups Lloyd, Ponting and Greg Chappell were also special and Dravid and Hayden were exceptional to spin.

From days gone bye we are told that Simpson, Hammond, Everton Weekes and Sobers were exceptional along with the south african trio of Bruce Mitchell, Trevor Goddard and Eddie Barlow.
Speaking of South Africans their current trio of Smith, Kallis and De Villiers is exceptional as well and the best today.

Flintoff, Botham and Greig all added slip catching to their other all round contributions and the West Indies of the 70's, 80's would not have been as complete with out Lloyd, Richards and Greenide in death row next to.Murray/Dujon and likewise for the 2000's Australians with out Warne, Ponting and Langer.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
From what I've read, Sobers was infallible at leg slip too, a position seldom used nowadays - same goes for Davidson.

stumpski

International Captain
Flintoff took a good slip catch off Harmison at Brisbane, pity the batsman never got anywhere near it. :dry:

The best three are probably Bobby Simpson, Walter Hammond and Mark Waugh. Not necessarily in that order.
Impossible for the first 2 to be rated so highly, they played far too early in the century to have been challenged.
Simpson played in the 1960s and 70s ... I would agree if you were talking about Jack Gregory, for instance.

archie mac

International Coach
Miller needs a mention as the standout post-war slip fielder
Yes, was very good. George Lohmann won lots of mentions in old books I have read. Other good ones were the Chappell brothers and Jack Gregory but I think from expert opinion and it is hard to compare I understand, that Wally was the best ever

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Waugh was insane. That one off Warne at the top is absolutely freakish. Does anyone remember him dropping any? Any footage?

I also remember footage of a West Indian, maybe Clive Lloyd, taking a barely believable catch round the corner at leg slip.