• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzi escapes stone throwing attack...Shocking!!

Choora

State Regular
Stone-hurling incident, poor arrangements

spoil mood in Pak camp

AMSHEDPUR: Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and his teammates got quite a shock on Wednesday soon after reaching Ranchi when an unidentified person, from a big crowd which gathered near the airport, hurled a stone at the Pakistan team bus that narrowly missed the skipper.

According to Pakistan manager Saleem Altaf the stone just missed Inzamam who was sitting near the window as the bus came out of the airport complex in Ranchi. "The stone thrown by a miscreant shattered the window as well as the mood of the team," Altaf said.

"We were scheduled to have a nets session on Thursday in preparation for the third One-day International in Jamshedpur on Saturday. But after this incident Inzamam suggested we cancel the nets and allow the boys to take complete rest for the day," he said.

There is no airport at Jamshedpur, which is some 135 kilometres from Ranchi, the capital city of Jharkhand state where the match is being held. So the teams landed at the Ranchi Airport around 3.30pm with some media personnel also on the same flight and then were taken by buses to Jamshedpur which is about three hours away from the airport.

"The incident has shaken us because so far the boys were very relaxed having received a lot of love and affection and hospitality in India. Someone threw the stone from a big crowd that had gathered outside the airport to catch a glance of the two teams. I don’t know if the police managed to arrest him or what. But the incident is something we have to put behind us and will concentrate on the next match," Altaf said.

The stone throwing incident sort of annoyed the Pakistan players who were already unhappy with the travelling arrangements made for the one-day series. On Wednesday morning when they and the Indian players reached the small airport lounge at Vishakapatnam for departure to Ranchi, the lounge was already full and there were no seats for them.

The players stood around for half an hour as the special flight which was to take them from Vishakapatnam to Ranchi had not arrived and one could see the look of frusration on the faces of many of the players who have already been upset with the
one-day itinerary and the extensive travelling schedule going with it.

Last year, when the Indian team toured Pakistan for three Tests and five One-day Interanationals, they travelled the length and breadth of the country without a single untoward incident taking place.

The stone throwing incident came as a surprise since there was heavy security in and around the airport for both teams, given that Jharkhand is supposed to be an area replete with naxalites.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's very poor form on the part of the stone thrower, but I'm surprised that they'd cancel the net session...

Choora

State Regular
Its pretty disgusting, isn't it?? i shudder to think as to what would have happened had that terrorist been able to actually injured Pak captain, Inzi would have suffered even a fatal wound. Why can't these dumb, idiot sick people don't understand that they are NOT DOING any favour to India by attacking our guests???

Its really tragic that that idiot got away, such a guy should have been arrested and should have been placed behind prison for the rest of his life. :@

Choora

State Regular
Son Of Coco said:
That's very poor form on the part of the stone thrower, but I'm surprised that they'd cancel the net session...

Thats only understandable, when you get attacked are as such you are frightened, you simply aren't in the right frame of mind to practice.

There was no need to cancel a practice metach for a small stone throwing incedent, if they get scared by such stupid incedent, then who will they get the courage to play and beat opponent infront of 80,000 cricket fans????

psxpro

Banned
Shut up. They didnt like being attacked. They canceled.
What courage are you talking about. 80,000 people don't come to nets and they don't throw stones at you.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it is disgraceful that such things happen. Esp. to Inzy, who, IMO, is amongst the nicest guys in the game. Shame on the stone thrower. :@

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why was the team allowed in the mist of such a large crowd without sufficient barriers/protection. Very poor security arrangements, given the nature of relations between India and Pakistan.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As much as it hurts to say I belong to the same state 'Jharkhand' and the city of 'Jamshedpur'. I really am ashamed at the behaviour of this idiot. I hope he is severely punished for this. Jamshedpur is a beautiful city and Keenan is one of the best grounds in the country.

I really dont know why BCCI didn't arrange for a flight to Jamshedpur, It does have a decent airport , although we dont have any commercial flights coming to Jamshedpur, but the Airport has been used by TATAs for business purpose.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Choora said:
Thats only understandable, when you get attacked are as such you are frightened, you simply aren't in the right frame of mind to practice.
I would think a professional team wouldn't cancel practice if it was just a rock throwing incident. If there's more to it than that then fair enough...

Deja moo

International Captain
Sanz said:
I really dont know why BCCI didn't arrange for a flight to Jamshedpur, It does have a decent airport , although we dont have any commercial flights coming to Jamshedpur, but the Airport has been used by TATAs for business purpose.
Good point. As far as I know, the TATAs did put up the Australians and the South Africans on previous occasions ( including private flights)...

Choora

State Regular
The rock actually broke the very window Inzamam was sitting next to it, but thanfully Inzi remained unhurt as the stone and the broken window pieces got stuck with window curtain :) .

Kudos to Inzi for saying that such incident won't effect the good relationship b/w two teams :)

Sehwag309

Banned
Inzi must have forgotten it

JAMSHEDPUR: Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and his teammates visited the Tata Cancer Hospital in Jamshedpur on Thursday and ended up feeling that there were so many more important things in life to deal with than the game of cricket.

"You go and meet these cancer stricken children and you wonder why all this fuss about a cricket series when there are so many other more important issues facing humanity, like finding a permanent cure for something tragic like cancer," Inzamam said in a pensive mood after the hour-long visit.

But for the young boys and girls in the children’s ward, just meeting the Pakistani cricketers was a dream come true for them and cheered them up for the day.

Inzamam was visibly moved when he was introduced to a five-year-old child who has been given 20 more days to live after suffering from blood cancer.

But the 14-year old Ismail also suffering from the same disease would not let go of Inzamam’s arm during a round of the hospital. "Uncle, aap ko ghussa nahin karna chahiye," (You shouldnt get angry) was the advice he gave to his hero whom he watched in quite a rage after geting run out in the second one-dayer in Visakhapatnam.

As the doctors and nurses taking the Pakistani cricketers around explained the various diseases and terminal illnesses afflicting the young children and older people, a number of the Pakistani players were clearly emotional and felt depressed.

"So innocent and vulnerable. It just makes you pray again and again and thank God for his blessings," wondered Danish Kaneria said after meeting with a 21-year-old girl who is in the early stages of throat cancer.

Shahid Afridi proved a favourite with most of the patients and he cheered things up when he recalled some funny incidents from his career for the benefit of the avid listeners.

Shahid, whose father himself is very ill and bed ridden, said visiting the hospital was the nicest thing the team could have done in India.

Inzamam, before leaving, had a quick impromptu meeting with some of his players and then announced a donation of Rs 100,000 for the hospital.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This Gladiatrsinblue character wories me, poor form by the moron hurling the stone, however the quality and camaraderie that the Pakistani cricketers have is really coming to the fore in this tour, well done Inzi. I’d doubt the majority of India shares the same views as the stone thrower, just another extremist trying to make a pathetic point through small minded actions. One question for Mr. Gladiator how does it strike (excuse the pun) you that India didn’t experience anything like this on their tour to Pakistan?