• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Central contracts

Glenn Stiemens

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm doing a spot of cricket investigation re: central contracts.

I have a fairly good idea of how they work in the UK (although thoughts from English people are welcome too) but am very interested to hear if/how they are implemented in your nation. How many contracts are awarded and how often?

Also, how much control do these give the national team - can they choose when to allow a player to be available for his domestic team or not? How often do you get players being withdrawn from domestic matches etc, any information would be incredibly welcome!

Do you feel they are a good idea and how has it affected the domestic scene or player's abililty, form and fitness? Has the national team improved or suffered as a result?

Thanks!.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm assuming this is related to the game development. Can I get a link to the website/forum to see how things are going?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
In Australia there are 22 players that get selected for contracts and the selectors deside if they want a international player to not play a domestic match or not. Techically the team doctor does, but if the selectors don't want some to play they come up with some magically injury that heals in a week. Generally batsmen get released for domestic games if their not playing but bowlers don't get released unless it is a OD match. Also Ponting doesn't get released, he hardly played any games for Tasmania since he got the captaincy.

[Edit] the contracts are awarded once a year, before the start of the season

Im not sure how it works in Sri Lanka but im sure someone else does

Glenn Stiemens

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, sorry should have mentioned it is half related to games development but not entirely. The link is in my profile I think.

Thanks for that chaminda :)

howardj

International Coach
They offer central contracts in Australia, once every year - usually around May/June. Last May/June they offered 25 contracts. They are announcing the contracted players for next 12 months, very soon. It's a bone of contention between the Players' Association and Cricket Australia as to whether the contracted player list will be pared back to 20, or remain at 25.

Basically, guys who receive central contracts, are not contracted with their State sides. Therefore, Cricket Australia does have virtual control over the players that they contract. However, most decisions to stand down from games, are usually left to the player, in consultation with Cricket Australia and Aussie team management

Players who represent Australia in both forms of the game, rarely turn out for their State sides during the Summer. When the opportunity arises, players usually opt to rest - again this may be recommended by Team Management, or just decided by the player.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
yup, 25. Cricket Australia is wanting to cut it to 20 in this big battle their having with the players association.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never understood why they bother with 25, it seems way too many; why not just have Test-contracts and ODI-contracts (obviously some people would have both)?
Always seems to me to be money needlessly wasted; 20 or 18 would be better.