• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni as an opener in tests

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This would allow the Indian team to drop Gambhir, and accomodate either Yuvraj Singh or Mohammad Kaif into the line-up. Imagine an opening combination comprising of Dhoni and Sehwag, both have similar games and will provide the Indians with explosive, matchwinning starts to their innings'.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
it'd be interesting to see how that would work. when gilchrist originally went up to open in ODIs, Mark Waugh was seen as an explosive opener, but i think it would be fair to say that he, if not became a lil more mellow, certainly seemed it. wouldn't be suprised if that happened in that hypothetical too. and always a danger of being two quick wickets down when you have two very explosive players at the top of the order...but when it comes off, WOW!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit harsh making your keeper open the batting though, they deserve a bit of rest after all the work they do behind the stumps.

Spetsnatz

Dhoni doesn't even open in first class cricket -- why you'd want him to open in test match cricket is beyond me.

And I don't see what Gambhir has done so badly that you want to drop him -- young players need time to develop. Sacking them after a handful of tests (in spite of reasonable performances is not the way to go).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vvk said:
This would allow the Indian team to drop Gambhir, and accomodate either Yuvraj Singh or Mohammad Kaif into the line-up. Imagine an opening combination comprising of Dhoni and Sehwag, both have similar games and will provide the Indians with explosive, matchwinning starts to their innings'.
Why should it be done to include Yuvraj ?

If Yuvraj cant be expected to perform as an opener, presumably because a test opener requires different skills and temprament, why should Dhoni be expected to succeed ?

Why do we need Dhoni opening to achieve this national goal of accomodating Yuvraj ?

Why not ask Dravid or Ganguly or Tendulkar to open ?

Why is an openers position so dispensable ? Havent we suffered enough and only just stopped whining about how we just dont seem to get a reliable opening pair ??

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Why should it be done to include Yuvraj ?

If Yuvraj cant be expected to perform as an opener, presumably because a test opener requires different skills and temprament, why should Dhoni be expected to succeed ?

Why do we need Dhoni opening to achieve this national goal of accomodating Yuvraj ?

Why not ask Dravid or Ganguly or Tendulkar to open ?

Why is an openers position so dispensable ? Havent we suffered enough and only just stopped whining about how we just dont seem to get a reliable opening pair ??
Have to agree, opening the batting with a keeper, especially one that doesn't open in FC Matches would be two steps back from Indian cricket. Gambhir has done a good job for India opening the batting and is any aggresive batsmen anyway. I see no reason why Dhoni should be given a run in the Test side at 7, if his keeping up to, or opening the batting in ODIs, but not in Tests. They tried this too often let the keeper, that the solution, well it isn't the solution finding one more solid batsmen to open that the key and really they found that with Gambhir. Keep it the same and if you want to bring Dhoni in then bring him at 7.

deeps

International 12th Man
one innings and you think he's the next gilly. Kartik has done well at test level and should stay in the test team. Dhoni for odi's and kartik for tests. and gambhir is doin really well keep him

vvk

I feel the number 7 position would not be suitable for a player of Dhoni's class. He would have to regularly bat with the Indian tail, which is really one of the poorest tails in international cricket.

Also I feel Gambhir has really looked out of his depth at test level. Every innings he seems to do something stupid and get himself out after a good start.

deeps

International 12th Man
doing something stupid and getting out is better than being "got out" by a bowler

experience will fix his problem

masterblaster

International Captain
Stick to Gambhir at the moment. I'd rate Gambhir as a better test player than Yuvraj and Kaif at this stage. He's one of the best young genuine openers in India. No need for Yuvraj/Kaif in the test side yet.

As for Dhoni, he could come in at number 7 in place of Dinesh Karthik. But I'd be interested if Dhoni consistently performs for India. There is still a chance he could be India's own Shahid Afridi, in that when he clicks, he scores a 100, but when he doesnt he's substandard.

Dhoni needs to start scoring runs consistently and consistently have good glovework to be considered in the test side. As of right now, Yuvraj doesnt warrant a place in the test side at the expense of Gautam Gambhir.

vvk

You only have to compare their first-class records to see that Dhoni is on a totally different class to Afridi.

Although, you are right, we have to wait and see if he can deliver such performances regularly for India. But I don't think it's very easy to do that when batting down the order with an incompetent tail.

Mr Mxyzptlk

vvk said:
I feel the number 7 position would not be suitable for a player of Dhoni's class. He would have to regularly bat with the Indian tail, which is really one of the poorest tails in international cricket.

Also I feel Gambhir has really looked out of his depth at test level. Every innings he seems to do something stupid and get himself out after a good start.
How does that make him out of his depth?! It indicates to me that he can definitely cope with international bowlers.

Regarding Dhoni and his class, he averages mid30s in FC cricket from memory. That's not flash by Indian standards.

vvk

I was actually referring to his List-A limited overs record, which is up near the 50s.

Well, it indicates it is out of his depth because he has not shown sufficiant mental prowess to succeed at the highest level so far.

Mr Mxyzptlk

vvk said:
You only have to compare their first-class records to see that Dhoni is on a totally different class to Afridi.

Although, you are right, we have to wait and see if he can deliver such performances regularly for India. But I don't think it's very easy to do that when batting down the order with an incompetent tail.
And yet still not in an amazingly high class. He average 36.75 on Indian pitches against Indian domestic bowlers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

vvk said:
I was actually referring to his List-A limited overs record, which is up near the 50s.

Well, it indicates it is out of his depth because he has not shown sufficiant mental prowess to succeed at the highest level so far.
And that is related to Test cricket how?

vvk

It shows he has the makings of a great player. Give the guy time, he is just getting started. His recent Ranji Trophy outings have shown vast improvement already.

Look at Michael Clarke, his first class average may not have necessarily been flash - but he had the makings of a great player.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It shows he has the makings of a good limited overs player. It shows his style of play is suitable for OD cricket. It shows nothing with respect to Test matches. The problem with Indian cricket is that players are rotated in and out of the team too often. In fact, that tends to be a problem in Pakistani criket too.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And yet still not in an amazingly high class. He average 36.75 on Indian pitches against Indian domestic bowlers.
The interesting thing is that his average is slightly higher then Karthik 33. But for someone to average 36.75 in FC is not enough to warrant opening the batting in Test especially in front of someone like Gambhir who averages 40 in Test and 54 in FC.

I haven't seen either Karthik or Dhoni keep yet, so who is the better keeper ??

masterblaster

International Captain
Apparently Dhoni is a 'workhorse' behind the stumps and is quite clean without being flashy, doesn't have style, but he's very 'sound' and has a lot of substance.

Karthik is techincally more sound, but has more 'flair' as a wicket keeper and I've seen him make more errors than I've seen Dhoni make.

But I havent seen enough of either of them. But I'd rate Dhoni higher, he's safe behind the wickets and he's explosive in front of them.