• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni as an opener in tests

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Karthik averages 37.65 outside of Tests. Not amazing either, but better than Dhoni.
Didn't take that into account, so i guess it up to who is the better keeper. Time will tell on that front.

V Reddy

International Debutant
It's not fair on Kaarthick to compare their first class records as Dhoni plays in Tier II where the teams are Bihar, Jammu Kashmir, Assam, etc,. while Kaarthick plays in Tier I where you teams like Mumbai, Baroda, Punjab, Hyderabad, etc,. which have much stronger bowling line ups .

I would say continue with the same formula of different keepers for the two formats. Both have the potential to be really good at the intl level and the one who steps it up a notch more will replace the other in the due course of time

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Guys guys.. get a hold on yourself!!! Dhoni scored one century as a pinch-hitter on a flat pitch against a not very good attack in an ODI. How exactly does that translate to him being a good alternative to Gambhir as an opener in tests when Gambhir's only fault has been his inability to convert ? Lets not anoint him the successor to everything on the basis of one innings.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
V Reddy said:
It's not fair on Kaarthick to compare their first class records as Dhoni plays in Tier II where the teams are Bihar, Jammu Kashmir, Assam, etc,. while Kaarthick plays in Tier I where you teams like Mumbai, Baroda, Punjab, Hyderabad, etc,. which have much stronger bowling line ups .

I would say continue with the same formula of different keepers for the two formats. Both have the potential to be really good at the intl level and the one who steps it up a notch more will replace the other in the due course of time
Exactly. So far Karthik has done well in the Test series both as a batsman and a Keeper and I see no reason for him to be dropped in favor of Dhoni.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see any point in opening the batting with a 'keeper in a Test match, especially for India. It makes the no. 7 batsman reduntant, unless he is a batting allrounder, but India don't really have any in contention.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Classic example of getting carried away and overhyping a player. He must first succeed against the good teams in ODIs before he warrants a selection in Tests. And as I always keep reminding to people, it is one thing to keep to Yuvraj and Sachin and Bhajji on flat tracks in ODIs for 50 overs, quite another to keep to Kumble and Bhajji on the fourth and fifth day, maybe for more than 5 sessions.... I think Kaarthick LOOKS a better keeper than Dhoni. He is inconsistent, yes, but he is young and given the quality of some of his takes, I think he will mature into a good keeper for India. And he looks more technically sound than Dhoni as a batsman. Dhoni looks rather hit/miss to me, even at this stage.

I think Kaarthick for tests and Dhoni for ODIs is a very fair and good call. The selectors showed some strength in picking Dhoni for this series even though Kaarthick did well in the Test series and I hope they show the same strength by picking Kaarthick for the next test series, whenever that is.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
He is never out of the scene as long as More and Ganguly are at the helm of affairs. :D
You hit the nail bang in the middle of its bloomin' head :D

Kumar_42

Cricket Spectator
i'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but...

recently i noticed that India have a wicketkeeper called Pankaj Dharmani who averages
52.78 in FC cricket with 20 100s and 33 50s and a highest score of 305*. He's currently 31 years old and has only played one ODI game against SAf in 1996/7. Surely this guy must have the batting credentials to be in the selectors thinking :blink: ? IMHO he seems like he should have been given a chance.

Are there any Indian fans who know anything about him and perhaps why he hasn't been considered?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Kumar_42 said:
i'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but...

recently i noticed that India have a wicketkeeper called Pankaj Dharmani who averages
52.78 in FC cricket with 20 100s and 33 50s and a highest score of 305*. He's currently 31 years old and has only played one ODI game against SAf in 1996/7. Surely this guy must have the batting credentials to be in the selectors thinking :blink: ? IMHO he seems like he should have been given a chance.

Are there any Indian fans who know anything about him and perhaps why he hasn't been considered?
I already answered this in the other thread where you posted this :)

Yes he is a very good batsman. Had great potential. Played one ODI against South Africa in 1996 scored 8 runs. Never considered since then. A bit unfair to him I think. Too late for him now.

I think if he had not been a wicket keeper, he could have played for India as a batsman alone.

Kumar_42

Cricket Spectator
SJS said:
I already answered this in the other thread where you posted this :)

Yes he is a very good batsman. Had great potential. Played one ODI against South Africa in 1996 scored 8 runs. Never considered since then. A bit unfair to him I think. Too late for him now.

I think if he had not been a wicket keeper, he could have played for India as a batsman alone.
hehe sorry SJS for reposting this question :p - thought this might be a better place to get a response. Yeah it does seem unfair to me to give the guy one chance and throwing him out (at that young age), especially as he seems so talented. Its strange when you mentioned that he could have played as a bastmen alone; to have wicketkeeping skills in addition to great batting talent he could have been a potentially great keeper/bastmen for India IMHO.

At 31 he is relatively old, but until the likes of Dinesh Karthik, Parthiv Patel and Dhoni mature with more experience, to me he would be useful at this stage with all his experience to act as India's keeper, not even mentioning further strengthening their strong batting lineup...just my 2 cents :)

masterblaster

International Captain
It's a good point considering that 31 isn't too old and he really should be at the peak of his powers in terms of batting and keeping.

It is unfair on him, but with Dhoni and Karthik, I dont think he'll get a shot.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
It's a good point considering that 31 isn't too old and he really should be at the peak of his powers in terms of batting and keeping.

It is unfair on him, but with Dhoni and Karthik, I dont think he'll get a shot.
I am told he is not such a hot shot keeper. Thats what I meant when I said he could have played as a batsman. I meant his chances would have been better because they would have focussed only on his batting skills.

deeps said:
one innings and you think he's the next gilly. Kartik has done well at test level and should stay in the test team. Dhoni for odi's and kartik for tests. and gambhir is doin really well keep him

Better than Gilli !

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
  • Dhoni to open in Tests- This is what's wrong with cricket in India. Any in-form batsman may have to open the innings, irrespective if he fits the bill or not. It's made several players instantly out of form. Dhoni is a pinch-hitter and nothing more. He may have averaged over 70 with a strike rate of over 102, he may have taken his team close to a series victory, but he's more effective at number 7, than at the top. Opening the batting is too crucial a role to tamper with.
  • Gambhir has looked out of his depth- He's done quite well in most matches played on good wickets, against decent bowling attacks which he may face more often (South Africa, Pakistan), for a beginner. He is the only opener you can expect to score runs, rather than just block the ball. His intent is very good, and can win more than a few matches, and so is his strokeplay. His fielding and running between the wickets makes him a bigger asset to the side. Moreover, he has performed consistently well in three seasons for Delhi and North Zone, and even India A, so you know this man's good enough for an Indian top six.
  • Dharmani seems a good bet- He's the only wicketkeeper in India who's good enough for a top-six position. He's a steady middle-order batsman, who can bail his side out of a tough situation, as he did against Mumbai, playing for Punjab. By far the best batsman among all the wicketkeepers, particularly at FC level, but he's not a regular wicketkeeper- he was actually a late starter with the gloves and occasionally allows a youngster to keep wickets for Punjab. Such players are a major risk behind the stumps. That said, he's a better choice than Parthiv or Dravid with the gloves.