• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly bats for Greg Chappel

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Seems like a pretty good choice to me. Greg was a great cricketer and has a good understanding of the game, he's as likely as anyone to be a good coach.

howardj

International Coach
That would be an enormous assignment for Chappell to take on........trying to teach Ganguly how to bat :p

Last edited:

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
Seems like a pretty good choice to me. Greg was a great cricketer and has a good understanding of the game, he's as likely as anyone to be a good coach.
Did he have much success coaching South Australia ?

It would certainly be a very interesting mix -- him and India.

Last edited:

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think India need someone more dynamic, someone of a younger generation who has played the game in the modern era. I feel a guy like Steve Waugh would be the most ideal candidate for the job.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly definitely knows how to bat. He just hasn't applied that knowledge in recent years.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wasn't it Chappell who helped him out before the tour to down under in 03? He will be a good choice, IMHO. But is he much of a background guy like Wright?

C_C

International Captain
i think Chappell would be a good idea....but Waugh ? i dunno....its gonna be weird dynamics for someone who was your adversary on the field to now be your coach....dont know how the old guns ( Dravid,Tendulkar, Kumble, Ganguly,Laxman, etc.) would feel about a longtime rival/nemesis on the field being their coach....
I mean, its one thing being glib in the media...but behind closed doors ?!

masterblaster

International Captain
It'd certainly be interesting to have though to have Steve Waugh on board. A part of me wishes this would be the case :cool:

Plus Waugh could continue all his charity work in Kolkata, but I doubt he'd want to be away from Australia and his family for all those long periods.

I think Chapple should get the nod, unless an outsider comes in and steals the show.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Chappel was in the running last time as well (when Wright got hired). Apparently his demands were so astronomical that Board decided against hiring him. After that Greg wanted to become India's batting Coach, somehow that didn't work out either. It seems to me that he really wants this job.

It will be tough and very challenging and I really admire his williningness to take up such an assignment.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Tom Moody and Dave Whatmore are also in the running. I like the competition :) and I would love to see anyone of these three gentlemen as the next Indian Coach.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
vvk said:
I think India need someone more dynamic, someone of a younger generation who has played the game in the modern era. I feel a guy like Steve Waugh would be the most ideal candidate for the job.
Steve waugh would possibly be the next coach of india posibly 4-5 years from now.The age gap would be right enough then for the senior players of india to implement his ideas.

Choora

State Regular
deeps said:
Considering how well ganguly's batting has been going lately, i doubt chappel has much of a chance now.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/APR/223739_I ND_06APR2005.html
But will Chappel bat for Ganguly?

masterblaster

International Captain
The contenders so far,

Tom Moody
Greg Chapple
Dav Whatmore

I'd love anyone of these fine cricketing minds to take over the Indian reigns. Each have their advantages/disadvantages. Dav Whatmore being of Sri Lankan background and having that killer Australian instinct and upbringing will really understand the Indian team, as he's from the subcontinent himself. Chapple's a cricketing genius and Tom Moody is a bit of a visionary and has all the experiene and cricketing knowledge to back it up.

India's in a nice position at the moment. Any one of these people would make great coaches. Although I'd love Whatmore to do it, but I also wouldnt mind it at all if Chapple or Moody got the gig.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
I wont be surprised if tom moody finally makes it as coach of indian cricket team.Not too high profile as a player, was an allrounder and can understand both batsmen and bowlers and age is also there with him.Lets see..

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
neutralguy said:
:D I think chappel will bat ganguly out of the team.
Chappel would kick his ass out so maybe Gangs would want to look for a nicer guy.

Last edited: