• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wide/no ball rule question

deeps

International 12th Man
ok, say if a bowler were to bowl a bouncer well above my head... the current rules state that it's to be called a wide, and the umpire will signal a wide

however, if i take a swat at a delivery above my head and connect, and get caught....... by the rules, doesn't that mean i am ouT? i believe a no-ball is called in this situation though

Why are the rules like this? isn't calling it a no ball the correct call in the first place? if there are two over head deleveires in an over, the 2nd is called a no-ball.......

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
ok, say if a bowler were to bowl a bouncer well above my head... the current rules state that it's to be called a wide, and the umpire will signal a wide

however, if i take a swat at a delivery above my head and connect, and get caught....... by the rules, doesn't that mean i am ouT? i believe a no-ball is called in this situation though

Why are the rules like this? isn't calling it a no ball the correct call in the first place? if there are two over head deleveires in an over, the 2nd is called a no-ball.......
The technical definition of a wide is a delivery which is out of the reach of standard cricketing shots from the batsman, which is interpreted in the case of bouncers as being above the head in a standing position. This is a wide. A no-ball is called in the case of a second bouncer in an over or a full-toss over waist height because these deliveries are not wides, but they are still illegal in once sense or another. If you swing at a ball which WOULD be a wide and hit it, it is not a wide and becomes a legal delivery. As such, if you get a ball above your head and hit it and are caught, you are out. If it is the second bouncer in an over however it should be called as a no-ball, as it should if it didn't bounce.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
The technical definition of a wide is a delivery which is out of the reach of standard cricketing shots from the batsman, which is interpreted in the case of bouncers as being above the head in a standing position. This is a wide. A no-ball is called in the case of a second bouncer in an over or a full-toss over waist height because these deliveries are not wides, but they are still illegal in once sense or another. If you swing at a ball which WOULD be a wide and hit it, it is not a wide and becomes a legal delivery. As such, if you get a ball above your head and hit it and are caught, you are out. If it is the second bouncer in an over however it should be called as a no-ball, as it should if it didn't bounce.
Yes.

In fact, the two bouncer rule really means that a batsman should be able to go for the second bouncer without any fear of being caught off the shot since it should be called.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And then you have the three-bouncer rule in junior cricket regarding how many times the thing bounces before it reaches t'other end...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
And then you have the three-bouncer rule in junior cricket regarding how many times the thing bounces before it reaches t'other end...
That rule was never adequately enforced when I played junior cricket. :(

I once recivied a near-rolling delivery from the prerequisite little-brother-of-a-good-player person on the other team, stepped down and smashed it on about the fifth bounce straight to mid-off. Worst dismissal ever.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
That rule was never adequately enforced when I played junior cricket. :(

I once recivied a near-rolling delivery from the prerequisite little-brother-of-a-good-player person on the other team, stepped down and smashed it on about the fifth bounce straight to mid-off. Worst dismissal ever.
We had this one in a U13 game earlier this summer:

Double bouncer, slog, skied, bowler drops it
Double bouncer, slog, skied, bowler catches it

deeps

International 12th Man
i've been bowled of a delivery that bounced twice in a proper club cricket match. I couldn't believe it, as i always thought it was only allowed to bounce once. got out for 84.. they had thrown the ball to their opening batsman who was the most hackiest bowler ever!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
We had this one in a U13 game earlier this summer:

Double bouncer, slog, skied, bowler catches it
Try bounces outside off, turns in and bounces outside leg, turns back to off and takes middle!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
I thought over the head was always a no-ball?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
that's what i thought, but it seems it's not true!
I'm sure it is. The rule to my understanding is that any ball that travels over the height of the batsman's shoulders and under his head in a normal (i.e. in his crease), standing position would be legal once an over. But, anything over the head is a no-ball.

Can't be bothered pulling up the rules, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

deeps

International 12th Man
Mr Casson said:
I'm sure it is. The rule to my understanding is that any ball that travels over the height of the batsman's shoulders and under his head in a normal (i.e. in his crease), standing position would be legal once an over. But, anything over the head is a no-ball.

Can't be bothered pulling up the rules, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

i agree wtih all that, except it seems to be called a wide in international cricket. which is why my question asks, that if i chase a over head delivery, doesn't that technically mean i'm out?

Swervy

International Captain
what about this one....

The batsman is standing outside the crease...the bowler runs in and as he arrives to the pitch(but before where he would normally bowl from), he bowls (with a straight arm) the ball over the batsmans head (thus called a wide I reckon) the keeper takes it,and throws down the stumps..with the batsman out of his ground.....would this be out???

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont know about International rules, but when we played Cricket in my street it was out. :)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Swervy said:
what about this one....

The batsman is standing outside the crease...the bowler runs in and as he arrives to the pitch(but before where he would normally bowl from), he bowls (with a straight arm) the ball over the batsmans head (thus called a wide I reckon) the keeper takes it,and throws down the stumps..with the batsman out of his ground.....would this be out???
If it's a no-ball, then it would be out, and it would be stumped wouldn't it? Not that a batsman could be that slow and stupid though! :D

deeps

International 12th Man
if it's a no ball, it wldnt be out....but the problem being it isn't a no ball...it is called a WIDE.

and you can get stumped off a wide, hence you are out... though if the ball went over the batsman's head on the full, i'ts a no ball by virtue of the full toss over waist rule. but i'm talkin bout had it bounced over

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Casson said:
If it's a no-ball, then it would be out, and it would be stumped wouldn't it? Not that a batsman could be that slow and stupid though! :D
but would it be deemed as a dead ball, in that the bowler hadnt actaully got to the wicket,and so maybe play hadnt 'started'..also there would be issues of fair play I guess :D

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
if it's a no ball, it wldnt be out....but the problem being it isn't a no ball...it is called a WIDE.

and you can get stumped off a wide, hence you are out... though if the ball went over the batsman's head on the full, i'ts a no ball by virtue of the full toss over waist rule. but i'm talkin bout had it bounced over
LOL! It's past two o'clock... you know what I meant! :p

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
6. Dangerous and unfair bowling
(a) Bowling of fast short pitched balls
(i) The bowling of fast short pitched balls is dangerous and unfair if the umpire at the bowler's end considers that by their repetition and taking into account their length, height and direction they are likely to inflict physical injury on the striker, irrespective of the protective equipment he may be wearing. The relative skill of the striker shall be taken into consideration.
(ii) Any delivery which, after pitching, passes or would have passed over head height of the striker standing upright at the crease, although not threatening physical injury, shall be included with bowling under (i) both when the umpire is considering whether the bowling of fast short pitched balls has become dangerous and unfair and after he has so decided. The umpire shall call and signal No ball for each such delivery.
From here.