• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar Or Brian Lara?

Who is innings was A classy one.

• Saeed Anwar

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Brian lara

Votes: 40 76.9%

• Total voters

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Let's face it, neither really come close to being the top innings of all time, so this is a bit of waste of time, isn't it?

Sir Gaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
Let's face it, neither really come close to being the top innings of all time, so this is a bit of waste of time, isn't it?
Yes that is true, but i'm enjoying reading the arguments

Sehwag309

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
..thank god, if an INDIAN would have said that..we would have been victims of "Cricket" profiling :dry:

touche

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Sehwag309 said:
Really dont understand how a Saeed Anwar/Brain lara Poll allows a "yet another" Pakistani to vent his anger, and call Indians coward where they should look at themselves in the mirror and see what category they fall into.

But no one read my post (give the kid what he wants, it was easy to figure that out since )
the man sayin hez australian 8-) (correction)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PAKMAN said:
some good points there ,it kinda shows how much that innings by anwar hurt some ppl :p
You disappoint me mate. So this is what you think ? Well..okay. So be it.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
SJS said:
You disappoint me mate. So this is what you think ? Well..okay. So be it.

oho uncle jee gussa kar gay :) i said some good points there not all of em ,for me as a pakistani it was one of the best innings in oneday cricket ,and i do think that the comparison with lara here is outa place ,but therz one thing that iv hardly seen ant indian accepting that that innings by anwar was a great one ,the runner issue always comes in it ,chill cha cha jee i didnt say anythin bad about u lot ,come on now gimme a smile :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PAKMAN said:
oho uncle jee gussa kar gay :) i said some good points there not all of em ,for me as a pakistani it was one of the best innings in oneday cricket ,and i do think that the comparison with lara here is outa place ,but therz one thing that iv hardly seen ant indian accepting that that innings by anwar was a great one ,the runner issue always comes in it ,chill cha cha jee i didnt say anythin bad about u lot ,come on now gimme a smile :D
1. I am the first one to have been sarcastic about this thread and I never commented on the quality of Anwars innings. I felt and indicated that it was silly to compare a test innings to an ODI innnings. I would have said it if you were comparing a great ODI innings of Tendulkar with any good test innings by any one. The gentleman who talked about where his complexes come from when he talked of India Pakistan. For me that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread nor the posts for or against the motion.

2. I dont care if Anwar took a runner. I dont think taking a runner makes things much easier. I am not first class cricketer but I have played enough cricket to know that a runer is a liability and no batsman wants one unless he has no choice.

3. Forget this innings, if you have been reading my posts long enough you may have come across somewhere a post by me where I have rated Anwar a better one day opener than Ganguly and also called himone of the greatest one day batsmen ever. Again when I said so, it didnt matter to me which nationality he belonged to. The fact that he is a Pakistani is of no consequence.

4. There was also a thread once about the batsmen you would love to watch or it was to make a team which you would love to watch, I forget, again Anwar was one of the first on my list. I did not do it because I may have to say it to you one day. I actually beileve he is one of the most beautiful strokeplayers the subcontinent has produced.

So when you write, Anwar's innings has hurt some people you display your immature thinking and conditioning which I am afraid i cant help. Its your problem not mine.

Goodbye.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
that was said in a funny way thats y i put a smiley after it ,im sorry if i hurt ur feelings

C_C

International Captain
Its an insult to Lara to compare him with Anwar.
Anwar was graceful but he had a serious weakness outside his offstump...far more than Lara did/does.
And Anwar was worked out by better bowling teams.....lara has always come back from being 'worked out'.

Link

State Vice-Captain
^^ I tend to agree, Lara as a batsmen is in his own league and for that matter far from that of anwar. I wouldnt say that anwar was avergae but Lara was and is far from average

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Deja moo said:
One guy made 400. The other made 194, of which more than 100 were made with the help of a runner. Doesnt take Holmes to figure out which was better.
Well if Dame Kelly was running for him, no wonder he did so well!

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Sehwag309 said:
I guess it would make more sense in having a separate ODI/TEST Poll

Brian's 375 & 400

Saeed Anwars 194 v/s 2nd best

BTW, Did Lara have a runner in any of those innings

How does having a runner make it easier for you to score runs? You use your strength to hit shots and not of your runner, and knowing how he hit 3 sixes in succession off Kumble's over towards the end of his inning, and how Dravid was dog-tired and got out when he'd just made his 100 shows that you still wouldn't have got him run-out had the umpires not allowed him a runner.

With that said, I don't think you can compare both innings with one being in a test match and the other in a ODI. Making 400 in a test match is as hard as making 194 in an ODI.I noticed someone saying Lara's was great because of no risk-taking shots. And that tells his/her immature knowledge of cricket because whenever you're going on to make a big score(ODI) as Saeed Anwar's, you will always have to attempt big shots because of limited overs. And by the way, I didn't see anyone drop his catches.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
Unattainableguy said:
Making 400 in a test match is as hard as making 194 in an ODI.
I would say making 400 in a test is a hell of a lot harder than a quick fire 194

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unattainableguy said:
How does having a runner make it easier for you to score runs? You use your strength to hit shots and not of your runner, and knowing how he hit 3 sixes in succession off Kumble's over towards the end of his inning, and how Dravid was dog-tired and got out when he'd just made his 100 shows that you still wouldn't have got him run-out had the umpires not allowed him a runner.
You definitely have to explain that. How does an ability to hit sixes and Dravid's performance show that Saeed Anwar would have reached the milestone securely without a runner?

cricket player

International Debutant
He had a runner because he was injuried(having some growing problems)What do you want him to do run with The broken leg?The place which is called india Is hot as hell,The game which was played between pakistan and india in kolkata was in a hot month and the players were suffering because of that,

Just recently sehwag made a hundreth againts pakistan in odi,He almost **** on himself couldnt get up at all,saeed anwar made his hundreth before he called up for a runner.