• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fantasy Cricket - The Greatest English XI vs The Greatest Australian XI)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
England vs Australia (The Ultimate Ashes Test)
Played at Lord's

Australian XI

Bill Lawry
Arthur Morris
Nei Harvey
Don Bradman * - Captian
Greg Chappell
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist + - Keeper
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Picking this Great Aussie XI wasn't straight foward firstly i had to also consider blokes like Ponsford, Woodfull, McDonald, Simpson and Taylor but looking at their overall recors i feel Lawry and Morris are the best tow combination of openers that a great Australian XI can have.

Looking at the Middle order was pretty straight foward up to the number six postion where i have the great Keith Miller, i had to leave out great like Doug Walters which was a pretty difficult choice also names like Ian Chappell, Border & the Waugh twins came into the equation.

The Bowling attack wasn't that that difficult to pick guys like McGrath, Lillee & Warne have to be picked along with Lindwall names like Thompson, McDermott, McKenzie were consider but i think you will agree with the fast bowlers i have chosen. Going back to Warne i also though out Benaud, Grimmet and tiger O'Reilly but i had to give Hollywood the nod. But the biggest debate in that XI could be the Keeper Gilchrist & Marsh are two greatest keeper/batsmen of all time Gilly being the better batsman of course & Marsh the better glovesman but i had to really ponder over this one and i had to give Gilly the nod eventually over his batting ability but i expect that to be the biggest disageement with the greatest Australian XI that i picked.

England XI

Len Hutton
Graham Gooch
Peter May
Walter Hammond
Colin Cowdrey * - Captain
Alec Stewart + - Keeper
Ian Botham
Dereck Underwood
Fred Treuman
Alec Bedser
Bob Willis

Picking this English team was pretty difficult, even more than the Australian one, the openers were a headache chosing between the likes of Hobbs, Hutton, Gooch & Boycott but with hard thought i went with hutton & Gooch. The middle order was has Australia fairly easy to chose but i had to leave out the late Ken Barrington & David Gower two supeb batsmen for the Ian Botham, it was an hard choice to make but i based the selection similar to australia.

The Keeper slot is will obviosuly start arguments some will sau Knott, i had him but then i thought about Stewart who was pretty darn good his batting i would say is better than Knott but not his glovework but i think Stewart can just get the nod over but just by a scratch :happy: , the fast bowlers was ok although greats such has John Snow & the late Brain Statham came close while the lobe spinner in dereck underwood for me is the best choice is reckon even though their was late great Jim Laker who has we all know took that amzing 19 wickets in a test againts Australia write here at my home here in manchester all those years ago and also Headly Verity another great left arm bowler for England in the 1930's.

But my team stays has it is an if a match or a series like that could be played welllllll, the ashes would be fiercely fought contest, for once :p

Slifer

International Captain
I have no real problems with either team but here are my teams:

AUST:

Ponsford
Lawry
Bradman*
G. Chappell
S.Waugh
Border
Gilchrist+
Miller
Warne/A. Davidson (dependent upon nature of wicket)
Lillee
Mcgrath

ENG
Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Compton
Barrington
Dexter
Stewart
Underwood
Trueman
Laker
Bedser

a massive zebra

International Captain
AUSTRALIA

VT Trumper
ML Hayden
DG Bradman*
GS Chappell
RN Harvey
AC Gilchrist+
KR Miller
RR Lindwall
DK Lillee
WJ O'Reilly
GD McGrath

12th Man: SK Warne

ENGLAND

JB Hobbs*
L Hutton
WR Hammond
DCS Compton
KF Barrington
IT Botham
APE Knott+
JC Laker
FS Trueman
AV Bedser
SF Barnes

12th Man: WG Grace

a massive zebra

International Captain
For good measure, Don Bradman chose the following teams Ashes Teams in 1999:

Australia: Bill Ponsford, Morris, Bradman, Harvey, Macartney, Keith Miller, Don Tallon, Ray Lindwall, Dennis Lillee, Bill O'Reilly, Clarrie Grimmett. 12th man: Benaud.

England: Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton, Compton, May, Wally Hammond, Grace, Evans, Fred Trueman, Alec Bedser, Barnes, Hedley Verity. 12th man: Ian Botham.

C_C

International Captain
England:

Boycott
Gooch
Barrington
Dexter
Cowdrey(capt)
Botham
Knott(wkt)
Trueman
Laker
Willis
Underwood

Australia:

Bob Simpson(Capt)
Justin Langer/Mark Taylor(cant make up my mind)
Bradman
Greg Chappell
Border
Miller
Gillchrist(wkt)
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Alan Davidson
Denis Lillee

Me thinks OZ will win 3-0 or 4-1.

telsor

U19 12th Man
The Aus XI I'd like to see ( as opposed to the best ).

Trumper
Ponsford
Bradman
Harvey
Jackson
Miller
Gilchrist
Lindwall
Lillee
O'Reilly
Thomson

As indicated, they're selected as much on style as talent. They'd probably win, but even if they didn't it'd be fun to watch.

Archie Jackson is probably the only surprise/unknown, but from what I've read about him, he appeared to be a delight to watch and anyone who suffered from such poor health but still averaged over 47 before he was 23 ( when he died ) can't have been a bad player. Probably the only contempory of Bradman who was favorably compared to the great man.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ver interesting XI you people have picked for both England & Australia i must say

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C_C said:
England:

Boycott
Gooch
Barrington
Dexter
Cowdrey(capt)
Botham
Knott(wkt)
Trueman
Laker
Willis
Underwood

Australia:

Bob Simpson(Capt)
Justin Langer/Mark Taylor(cant make up my mind)
Bradman
Greg Chappell
Border
Miller
Gillchrist(wkt)
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Alan Davidson
Denis Lillee

Me thinks OZ will win 3-0 or 4-1.
Thats only because you've chosen a weak English team :p

No Hobbs, Hutton, Compton or Hammond?? Not sure I'd include 2 spinners either

C_C

International Captain
I dont consider any of the names mentioned to be in the class of batsmanship achieved by the ones i've mentioned.
bloated stats in amatuer era doesnt count for jack with me.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C_C said:
I dont consider any of the names mentioned to be in the class of batsmanship achieved by the ones i've mentioned.
Hammond ?? thats a big call.

Each to their own, although I'd doubt many would agree entirely with your England side

C_C

International Captain
51 average against the aussies of his time who were essentially a two-man bowling unit (read: O'Reiley and Grimmett) till the post war period.

Compared to that, i rate a 45-50 average against the likes of Lillee,Thommo,Bedi,Chandra,Prasanna,Gibbs,Imran,Kapil, Holding,Roberts,Garner,Marshall,Croft, etc. etc. FAR FAR higher.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia
Arthur Morris
Justin Langer
Donald Bradman (c)
Neil Harvey
Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist (k)
Alan Davidson
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Alternatively, drop Harvey or Waugh and bring in Miller to strengthen the bowling, but I think Davidson, Lillee and McGrath are probably good enough in the fast bowling stakes to do some damage. ;)

England
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Denis Compton
Walter Hammond (c)
Ken Barrington
Ian Botham
Alan Knott (k)
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Derek Underwood/Alec Bedser
Sydney Barnes

With three seamers already in the side, swap Bedser and Underwood at will based on pitch conditions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
But the biggest debate in that XI could be the Keeper Gilchrist & Marsh are two greatest keeper/batsmen of all time
Marsh one of the 2 best keeper batsmen of all time?!!!

I would've thought since most people seem to assume that there's no doubt Gilchrist should be in the greatest XI of all time, there's no debate here?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Good think that your opinion based on this fallacy doesn't count jack for most of us then.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
AUSTRALIA

- Trumper
- Ponsford
- Bradman
- Harvey
- Greg Chappell
- Miller
- Benaud/Davidson
- Lindwall
- Oldfield
- Lillee
- Orielly

ENGLAND
- Hobbs
- Sutcliffe
- Hammond
- Ranji
- Compton
- Botham
- Rhodes
- Taylor
- Laker/Bedser
- Trueman
- Barnes

One bowler in either side is flexible depending on conditions

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Australian XI:
1. Victor Trumper
2. Charlie Macartney
3. Don Bradman
4. Allan Border
5. Steve Waugh
6. Adam Gilchrist (keeper)
7. Richie Benaud (captain)
8. Ray Lindwall
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Jeff Thomson

England XI
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Herbert Sutcliffe
3. Len Hutton
4. Wally Hammond (captain)
5. Frank Woolley
6. Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott (keeper)
8. Alec Bedser
9. Derek Underwood
10. Fred Trueman
11. Sydney Barnes

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Marsh one of the 2 best keeper batsmen of all time?!!!

I would've thought since most people seem to assume that there's no doubt Gilchrist should be in the greatest XI of all time, there's no debate here?
well yes marc, now why dont you think so?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well if Gilchrist is as good as is made out in all time terms then there's no debate.

And if Marsh is second best keeper-batsman of all time then I'm Chinese.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well if Gilchrist is as good as is made out in all time terms then there's no debate.

And if Marsh is second best keeper-batsman of all time then I'm Chinese.
hahaha, well i didn't really mean he was the second best wicket-keeper batsmen of all time, maybe i didn't make it too clear with what i wrote, but you must agree that he is one of the best glovesmen of all time.