• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tremors in Indian ODI team !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni's remarkable innings has thrown the Indian limited overs game options totally askance. Here is a man, who will be fighting to bat above Yuvraj and Kaif in the batting order. Yuvraj has scored 15 and 16 in the two games. Kaif has done worse with 7 and 0. Ganguly has 0 and 9.

Between them the three Saurav, Kaif and Yuvraj have scored 48 runs in six ininnings. Dhoni has scored 148 today after his 3 in the first match. What does India do for the next ODI ? What should be the team and what batting order ?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kaif's position in the batting order is wrong anyway. He's wasted down the order. IMO Kaif should bat at 3 or 4.

I didn't see Dhoni's knock, but I'm incredibly pleased that not only did he score well, he absolutely blasted India to victory. Absolutely awesome for Indian cricket, let's hope he can keep it up as he receives more opportunities.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Kaif's position in the batting order is wrong anyway. He's wasted down the order. IMO Kaif should bat at 3 or 4.

I didn't see Dhoni's knock, but I'm incredibly pleased that not only did he score well, he absolutely blasted India to victory. Absolutely awesome for Indian cricket, let's hope he can keep it up as he receives more opportunities.
He was amazing. He is a bit rough and over confident but he playes with a very straight bat and has tremendous power and plays all round the wicket. I am a bit worried that he is a bit of a "jat", if you know what that means. He may have problem in that he may believe that he is Viv Richards. Otherwise this is great for Indian cricket. Fantastic knock. First chance at 126. WOW !!

I have a feeling Kaif may be dropped for the next game and Mongia will come in. I prefer Pathan to Zaheer. Thus I would play

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Dravid
Yuvraj
Mongia
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathan
Balaji
Harbhajan
Nehra

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
is he the wicket keeper? if so then should this mount him a position to challenged karthik for a position in the test side?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Dhoni's remarkable innings has thrown the Indian limited overs game options totally askance. Here is a man, who will be fighting to bat above Yuvraj and Kaif in the batting order. Yuvraj has scored 15 and 16 in the two games. Kaif has done worse with 7 and 0. Ganguly has 0 and 9.

Between them the three Saurav, Kaif and Yuvraj have scored 48 runs in six ininnings. Dhoni has scored 148 today after his 3 in the first match. What does India do for the next ODI ? What should be the team and what batting order ?
Hahaha One innings and he has caused tremors ? :D Didn't see this coming from you SJS. Let him play for a while before we can even consider him at par with Kaif, Yuvraj.

IMO Indian team should have exactly same composition, cant say the same about the batting order though I dont think he is a good No. 3 and that position should go to Kaif/Dravid.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Sanz said:
Hahaha One innings and he has caused tremors ? :D Didn't see this coming from you SJS. Let him play for a while before we can even consider him at par with Kaif, Yuvraj.

IMO Indian team should have exactly same composition, cant say the same about the batting order though I dont think he is a good No. 3 and that position should go to Kaif/Dravid.

To the credit of Dhoni though, he always batted this way in Domestic Cricket and in A Tours too where he made two hundreds against the same attack in Kenya Triangular A series.The big problem seems to be that all the middle and lower order batsman of India have done well in the limited oppurtunities they got in the top-4 or 5 but are struggling when they are batting lower down the order except maybe for Yuvraj Singh. So this is a tricky situation for the team management.

In my opinion though, Dhoni should always bat in the top-3 in ODI's b'coz that is the position where he always batted for Bihar/Jharkand and India A and that is the position where his batting style is most effective with the fielders in .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
sledger said:
is he the wicket keeper? if so then should this mount him a position to challenged karthik for a position in the test side?
IDK about that. Drop Kaarthick now and you destroy his career. I would like it if the selectors would wait until his form dips or until Dhoni does something significant on a difficult wicket against quality new ball bowlers, a situation he may often find himself in if he were to be the test match keeper for India. Plus, I know he kept well yesterday, but I am still juz not confident with him as a keeper to Kumble and Bhajji on rank turners.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:

First its not the innings-runs alone, its the way he played, the confidence and the range of his strokes.

Second, the tremors I am talking about doesnt just pertain to Dhomi's knock, it is Dhoni's knock COMBINED with the failure of all except Sehwag and Dravid from the famous Indian line up.

I did not add tendulkar in this thread because he is opening otherwise, though run out once, he has scored 4 runs in two innings. That makes 52 runs in 8 innings by SCG, SRT, YS and MK. This has to be seen in the context of two of India's biggest wins over Pakistan in history of ODI's between the two countries. These wins have come mainly due to 630 odd runs scored by India in the two games. But take away, sehwag and Dravis and what has the famed Indian line up contributed ??

India has ben one catch by Pakistan early in Sehwag's innings away from disaster. Keep aside your patriotic fervour and ask yourself if Sehwag had been held early in both innings, what would India have scored ?

Its fine to say others would have scored. Yes it seems logical. But it is no coincidence that the same players are scoring the bulk of India's runs in both tests and one dayers in this tour of Pakistan. The "others" may have fared as badly as they have done now.

So, the tremors are because Indian batting line up appears to have LOST ITS DEPTH ! It is in this context that I am looking at Dhoni .

If Mongia plays the next match and scores a big one, how can you avoid a shake up?

PS. How can you ask with such incredulity about comparing Kaif or Yuvraj with Dhoni and spwak so casually about Kaif and Yuvraj beng better than Laxman ? The same logic will hold here too.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:

I dont get it...why should Kaif bat at no.3 or 4 when we got Dravid at 3...sending Kaif ahead of Rahul is insane...maybe just maybe Kaif can bat at 4 but then again Saurav wont let this happen...

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
He was amazing. He is a bit rough and over confident but he playes with a very straight bat and has tremendous power and plays all round the wicket. I am a bit worried that he is a bit of a "jat", if you know what that means. He may have problem in that he may believe that he is Viv Richards. Otherwise this is great for Indian cricket. Fantastic knock. First chance at 126. WOW !!

I have a feeling Kaif may be dropped for the next game and Mongia will come in. I prefer Pathan to Zaheer. Thus I would play

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Dravid
Yuvraj
Mongia
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathan
Balaji
Harbhajan
Nehra
I think Murali Kartik should play in place of Harbhajan...what say on that?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nikhil1772 said:
I think Murali Kartik should play in place of Harbhajan...what say on that?
I think there is at least a case to be made for that. But as long as Ganguly is captain...forget it !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
I think there is at least a case to be made for that. But as long as Ganguly is captain...forget it !!
I have always applauded Ganguly for ridding the selection from zonal bias but Ganguly has a big problem about people he favours and those he doesnt.

Harbhajan, Yuvraj and Zaheer top the first list. (Parthiv Patel, the late demented(oops) was another)

Karthik is the leader of the second group.

Ganguly will do a lot as captain to help his favourites and keep the second lot out.

Team selection, bowling changes(Kumble vs Harbhajan too) are a part of it.

Yesterday's insistence in bowling Yuvraj was also a part. Mongia's claim was strong for a place in the third game. Now.......we'll have to see.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
You are right and maybe thats the only reason I dont like Ganguly...

And I bet the first lot consist of Nehra,Balaji,Zaheer...and the second one consists of AA...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
SJS said:
Ganguly will do a lot as captain to help his favourites and keep the second lot out.

Yesterday's insistence in bowling Yuvraj was also a part.
Well... it worked!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Well... it worked!
You mean Yuvraj's bowling ? Oh yes he got 3 wickets for 70 odd runs. Did you watch his bowling. I went back home and saw the whole of Pakistani innings. What did he bowl ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling figures in one day games can be very decptive.

Nehra gave away a lot of runs from his analysis(thank God he has 4 wkts to show), but did you see how well he bowled ?

Its a cruel game and one day cricket's stats can be very very deceptive for bowlers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nikhil1772 said:
I dont get it...why should Kaif bat at no.3 or 4 when we got Dravid at 3...sending Kaif ahead of Rahul is insane...
I imagine most people would have said that sending Dhoni in at 3 ahead of Dravid was insane!

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I imagine most people would have said that sending Dhoni in at 3 ahead of Dravid was insane!
And those most people including me are still gonna think it will be insane if it continues that way in all the other matches...just the one-off thing like yesterday's match is OK

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nikhil1772 said:
And those most people including me are still gonna think it will be insane if it continues that way in all the other matches...just the one-off thing like yesterday's match is OK
It will be insane if he bats that way ???