• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst team fielding in a test innings

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have to say the Sri Lankan fielding performance in this first test is as bad as I've ever seen in test cricket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it can't be the worst because they at least held some catches. Jayasuriya's catch off Astle probably gives them a boost too.

But certainly John Dyson should be writing an 'F' beside most of the Sri Lanka fielders.

Blaze

Banned
It was an unbelievably bad display though.. I don't get how the sub continent teams are so much worse at fielding than the other teams in test cricket.. except for Bangladesh, they are quite classy.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think its fairly easy to see why. Alot of Sub-continent kids grow up playing on the road & on grounds that basically have no grass, so there will always be a fear of diving to save a ball or just fielding in general.

Adam Parore once said that in 1996 when NZ toured Pakistan they played at 1 ground that looked more like the scene of a drought than a cricket field.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Back before their new coach, Indian fielding was generally very poor. Haha Nehra!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Poor old Ashish Nehra, I definately think he's one of the worst i've seen.

Blaze

Banned
Tim said:
I think its fairly easy to see why. Alot of Sub-continent kids grow up playing on the road & on grounds that basically have no grass, so there will always be a fear of diving to save a ball or just fielding in general.

Adam Parore once said that in 1996 when NZ toured Pakistan they played at 1 ground that looked more like the scene of a drought than a cricket field.

I knew someone would bring that argument up but I don't really think that can be used as an excuse now for the international players.. it is a full time job for them and they have the facilities these days to improve their fielding up to a satisfactory standard.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
No wonder, thats why ravi shastri was referring Bangladesh as the best fielding side in the sub continent.

Blaze said:
It was an unbelievably bad display though.. I don't get how the sub continent teams are so much worse at fielding than the other teams in test cricket.. except for Bangladesh, they are quite classy.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
I knew someone would bring that argument up but I don't really think that can be used as an excuse now for the international players.. it is a full time job for them and they have the facilities these days to improve their fielding up to a satisfactory standard.
Yeah but fielding starts at the jnr level and also the international grounds aren't much better TBH, some of them have hardly any grass on the outfield. Our fielding was good under Watmore just like Bangladesh's is now. I think Dyson has to look at his training techique cus it not like he was a bad fielder, he just doesn't seem to be able to teach them how to field like he did. One other factor would have to be the lack of games, most of the guys apart from Sangakkara have only played a maxium of 5 FC games in the last 4 months or somethings.

Deja moo

International Captain
The odd thing is that not all the sub continental teams are equally bad. India merely pass muster at ground fielding, but are perhaps top 3 material when it comes to holding catches anywhere on the field. Pakistan are currently a shocker at that.

Blaze

Banned
Deja moo said:
The odd thing is that not all the sub continental teams are equally bad. India merely pass muster at ground fielding, but are perhaps top 3 material when it comes to holding catches anywhere on the field. Pakistan are currently a shocker at that.

Hmm top three, India.. thats a big call

Deja moo

International Captain
Blaze said:
Lol that is two years ago
They've still got it. Dravid and Laxman ( except for that shocker of a game he had in the TVS cup final) are extremely reliable in the slips. The last One dayer affirmed Indias excellence in the inner circle, and well, they have always been excellent outfield catchers.

tooextracool

International Coach
the problem for india is that they have some quite brilliant fielders - kaif, yuvraj, laxman, dravid and tendulkar, but they also have some really shocking ones- nehra,khan, balaji, ganguly etc. it really is a major problem in international cricket today, very few teams actually realise the importance of fielding, it has the tendency to win or lose games.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tim said:
Poor old Ashish Nehra, I definately think he's one of the worst i've seen.
and thats before we start considering the other aspects of his game :p

although in fairness to the lad he bowled afridi beautifully this morning

psxpro

Banned
The funniest bad bit of fielding I seen was when india came here in 98, they were shocking. Especially once , one player chased to the boundary and another was following him. so he did a pass to him by flicking it before it reached the boundary, but the other player had already turned away, the other players scremed at him that ball was coming and he covered his head and ducked. 8-)
It was so funny.

psxpro

Banned
Also I don't buy this diving thing about subcontinet teams, you don't need to dive to take catches that come striaght at you.
And to stop ball that are just next to you.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
psxpro said:
Also I don't buy this diving thing about subcontinet teams, you don't need to dive to take catches that come striaght at you.
And to stop ball that are just next to you.
as long as the catches stick it doesnt really matter, but i do get what you are saying....

psxpro

Banned
Im not saying sub continent teams dive too much or anything, im reacting to the thing that people have said its hard for them to dive becasue of their groubnds they practice on, I'm just saying diving has nothing to do with a ball that comes straight at you.