• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW English Meet-Up

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Any idea what game? I was talking with Neil about it and was thinking of trying to go to Scarborough game.

It's a pity there's no Notts v Lancashire game this season being played at Cleethorpes 'cos you could all sample the delights of the best fish and chips in the country. :)
Liam's going to be based in Guildford for a month or so, therefore a Surrey home game would be appropriate.

As far as the best fish and chips in the world is concerned, the Scarborough game would involve a trip to the Filey chippy (special haddock to die for) and a trip to Grimsby always used to end up with me putting on a couple of pounds too (had a holiday in Cleethorpes a few years ago - put some weight on then I can tell you) - it's a tie.

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:
Any idea what game? I was talking with Neil about it and was thinking of trying to go to Scarborough game.

It's a pity there's no Notts v Lancashire game this season being played at Cleethorpes 'cos you could all sample the delights of the best fish and chips in the country. :)
Wrong... Officially the best chippie in the country is in Somerton, Somerset.. And there is a village in Cornwall that is actually called Chip Shop funnily enough

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Wrong... Officially the best chippie in the country is in Somerton, Somerset.. And there is a village in Cornwall that is actually called Chip Shop funnily enough
Is that one where they still fry in lard and use beer batter?

PY

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
There's always one. :p

To be nice and petty because it's too much fun, I could probably name 10-15 chippies in Grimsby and Cleethorpes which are equal (to us punters) to that one. :tongue:

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Liam's going to be based in Guildford for a month or so, therefore a Surrey home game would be appropriate.

As far as the best fish and chips in the world is concerned, the Scarborough game would involve a trip to the Filey chippy (special haddock to die for) and a trip to Grimsby always used to end up with me putting on a couple of pounds too (had a holiday in Cleethorpes a few years ago - put some weight on then I can tell you) - it's a tie.
Fair enough that sounds good, I spoke to Andre earlier too and trying to get some info out of him about when he might be free for a meetup or something because he's in London too.

Filey does have some decent fish and chip shops about actually, it's a nice place as well. Where did you stay in Cleethorpes? Do you remember? Living there doesn't do much for my waist line when the parents aren't around and a chippie round the corner. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Fair enough that sounds good, I spoke to Andre earlier too and trying to get some info out of him about when he might be free for a meetup or something because he's in London too.

Filey does have some decent fish and chip shops about actually, it's a nice place as well. Where did you stay in Cleethorpes? Do you remember? Living there doesn't do much for my waist line when the parents aren't around and a chippie round the corner. :D
Caravan park - past the tenpin bowling centre along the front - great big complex with a couple of decent carp lakes - didn't realise they had decent mirror carp in them for a while - I'd been snatching roach and skimmers on the 10 metre pole then hooked into a 12 pounder - took me about 20 seconds to land - didn't realise it had been hooked. It was a few years ago (about 10, I think).

PY

International Coach
I live next to that bowling alley.

It's changed a lot down there now, next door is now a massive cinema, McD and shopping outlet. Was the theme park there when you were there?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Yeah I might be along.. I'll be in the new SA rugby jersey taking photos so say hi if you see me.. My problem is I work nights so Im not sure if I am going to be too knackered to go, probably not though..
I'll be needing my cricket fix after a week in Rome (missing days 3-5 of the 2nd Test :@ ), so I'll definitely be there, and I'll be on the lookout for ya.

Let's hope for a repeat of what happened last time we were both there!

And another thing Rich - any idea who GCS' replacement is as overseas player? It'll need to be a top-class batsman, 'cos we'll struggle to replace the influence GCS has had.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
I'll be needing my cricket fix after a week in Rome (missing days 3-5 of the 2nd Test :@ ), so I'll definitely be there, and I'll be on the lookout for ya.

Let's hope for a repeat of what happened last time we were both there!

And another thing Rich - any idea who GCS' replacement is as overseas player? It'll need to be a top-class batsman, 'cos we'll struggle to replace the influence GCS has had.
I've got a feeling its another Saffer.. I'm struggling to remember who though..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I've got a feeling its another Saffer.. I'm struggling to remember who though..
Well if it's a batsman, it could be any of the folowing (assuming they're an international):

Gibbs (please!)
AB de V (please!)
Rudolph
Kallis (pleasepleaseplease!)
The van Jaarsveld who isn't Martin, can't remember his name
Amla
Prince
McKenzie
Dippenaar
Duminy

That's just off the top of my head, not too strong on SA cricket though so I've probably missed out a few possibles. I'm off to check to SCCC website now, will let you know if they have any announcement.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Rich - I just joined the SCCC forums on the official website to try to find out who the new guy is, and there's a thread about GCS and Langeveldt. The picture that's in your avatar is in there, and someone called John Fuller mentioned in response to someone saying "that's a good photo" that it was taken by a "young lad who takes them for southwestcricket.com and emails me a few every now and again".

Would that "young lad" be you? :D

Still no news though, still looking.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
I live next to that bowling alley.

It's changed a lot down there now, next door is now a massive cinema, McD and shopping outlet. Was the theme park there when you were there?
Used to be a very good lady bowler from Cleethorpes - Debbie Hall. Played with her (bad choice of words) during the British Open about 10 or 12 years ago.

Yes, the theme park was there - I believe at the time the theme was 'Depressed seaside town trying desperately to shake off its 1920s image'.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the latest on this?
Fairly busy since I got up here (I bought BLIC the first day I was here - 29th July - and haven't had time to even install it yet), but I'd definitely make time for a meet-up.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What's the latest on this?
Fairly busy since I got up here (I bought BLIC the first day I was here - 29th July - and haven't had time to even install it yet), but I'd definitely make time for a meet-up.
Was waiting for you to make contact, Liam.

Let me get my breath back and I'll have a look at Surrey's home fixtures between now and the end of the season (you're based in Guildford for a while, yes?) Alternatively if you are able to travel, we could make it a match that the ginger one and others could get to.

BRB - off for a curry

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As an aside, Derby v Surrey in the TSL at Derby on Sept 14 is a viable "Northern Clarkewatch" I feel.

Must get those T-shirts made up.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
As an aside, Derby v Surrey in the TSL at Derby on Sept 14 is a viable "Northern Clarkewatch" I feel.

Must get those T-shirts made up.
September 4th - I'm sure we could muster a few CricketWebbers eager to wonder and gawp at Rikki.
T-shirts would be a great idea.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'm based in Guildford the entire time I'm here, but I'm willing to travel within reason.
Is Derby within reason?

(actually don't answer that - there's no reason in Derby).

Is Derby too far?