• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atherton's scathing views on Brian Lara and his legacy

howardj

International Coach
Legglancer said:
Damn ! Lara is Single handedly carrying the West Indies team on his shoulders again :@ ...... Does he ever Learn ?

I tell you he will be sorry oneday for not playing more like that mediocre Jacka$$ atherton !
That's a little silly. I think youre deliberately missing the point of Atherton's article. It was directed at Lara's emperor-like attitude - not at his batting. Scoring runs does not mean that your "im bigger than the team attitude" no longer exists. After all, scoring runs can be motivated by self-interest. It's the things you do around the team, and your attitude and demeanour that Atherton was touching on.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Atherton knows nothing of Lara then. Whilst Lara does have good reason to believe he is by far the best thing in West Indies cricket, he simply does not. Anyone who has heard him speak in the last 2-3 years can attest to that. I used to have respect for Atherton too.

howardj

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Atherton knows nothing of Lara then. Whilst Lara does have good reason to believe he is by far the best thing in West Indies cricket, he simply does not.
I'd disagree with that. Anyway, more broadly, Lara has been entrusted with the leadership in the past, and as Atherton stated, the West Indies could have hardly done any worse during his tenure. I don't think he's a very unifying force.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
howardj said:
I'd disagree with that. Anyway, more broadly, Lara has been entrusted with the leadership in the past, and as Atherton stated, the West Indies could have hardly done any worse during his tenure. I don't think he's a very unifying force.
Admittedly though the West Indies played their best consistent cricket in recent years under Lara in the Champions Trophy. No captain since perhaps Richie Richardson has gotten the West Indies to look so close to world class.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
howardj said:
Why is it poor though? Just because Lara is a genius and everyone loves watching him bat, and just because Athers was a Pommy plodder who got busted with dirt in his pocket, doesnt detract from what Atherton is saying.

The fact is Lara is a big-head who has an enormous sense of self-importance, who nobody - in West Indies ranks - has had the courage to stand up to. And does anybody really think the guy is a good captain, or a leader of men?

That is essentially what Atherton is saying. Lara should be judged on his behaviour, not how good he looks at the crease or how much pleasure he has given cricket fans down the years. People just love sucking up to the greats!
The fact? What fact? Gaaah... pointless arguing.