• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does England have any chance against Ozoz in the Ashes series??

Or are the brits just gonna be a cake walk for the Ozoz???
Is Warne's warning that the English team wont be that easy to beat be taken seriously??.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't think any national side should be taken easily. I think Aus should win but england won't give up without a fight.

The only fight that England players can come up is against Injuries, they seems to be never short of health problems.

The result will be 5-0 , to Aus ofcourse.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm prepared for a whupping. It could well be 5-0, but I think that 3-1 might be more realistic.

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
3-1 ??? I guess u are pinning ur hopes on Hoggard to get the wkts.There is no way England can bowl out Aus twice in a test match in Aus.
Never heard of Gough then :I :I

if england stay fit they are capable of at elsat giving australia a decent game. they wont win but then again i dont think any team in the world could win a 5 match test series against australia in oz. i predict 3-1 to australia :cry:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If we continue with the current strategy of "Ooh, you play for Surrey, let's pick you" then we're going to get slaughtered.

If we don't, and go for youth, we'll get annihilated also but it will build for the future.

I reckon 3-1 - rain causing a draw, and a late win for yet another false dawn and more excuses to keep filling the team with Surrey wasters.

And if Mark Ramprakash gets called up I am not responsible for my actions.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
England is actually a very decent team. Their batting can be pretty good if thorpe and trescothick are back and in form.

Put in gough,hoggy,flintoff,tudor (Drop caddick..he is not mentally strong nuff for aussie) and jones...

you actually have a team that can give aussie a run for its money.

But before they do that...here is a to do list that ABSOLUTLEY HAS TO BE DONE

1. Dump white, cork - They are not allrounders and dont stand a chance against oz

2. Tell hussain tht there is no need to panic once a batsman has reached 30 and start bowling at the 15th stump.

3. Drop caddick and giles.

4. ask gough to engage brain.

5. get some voodoo to make trescothick play as well as he can ( Their best match winner IMO)

If all these happen this could be englands best chance.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
1. Dump white, cork - They are not allrounders and dont stand a chance against oz
And Flintoff IS an all-rounder? His bowling has shown a little improvement, but his batting is, er, limited. Sure, he's a hitter but he is another one who is both mentally and defensively weak.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As Flintoff showed superbly today.

1) White and Cork aren't all rounders - they are bowlers who can bat a bit and strengthen the tailm which today is not good at all.

2) Yes, if we ever bowl like we did on Thursday again I am going to make enquires towards Letzburgesch citizenship.

3) Caddick can perform - he should be in the squad for the simple reason that there's no-one else. And Harmison and Jones must go, and not Tudor! Giles is our only spinner. We must take one, if only for the SCG (that's the spinny one isn't it?)

4) Yes. And hopefully to stop getting injured, too.

5) Don't pick Ramprakash.

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator
I think that england need to improve immensely in the bowling department and the fielding needs to be improved. 6 dropped catches is not gud enough. And dont even start me on Robert Key! 8D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
6 seamers for the Oz tour? Take your pick from:

Harmison
Jones
Caddick
Gough
Cork
Hoggard
Flintoff
White
Tudor
Silverwood
Dean
Saggars
Sheriyar
Kabir Ali
Mullally

Most people would pencil in Harmison, Jones and Caddick after Gough, but I think that it would be stupid to take all 3. All bowl primarily back of a length and it would just be too predictable.

I would take one out of Mullally or Dean - I think that a left hand seamer is a useful thing to have. Variety is a must.

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Australia are such a strong team that England don't even have a chance of drawing the series leave alone win it.

I would say that it will be 5-0 to Aus.

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
Ozoz should consider playing their second 11 against Brits , i mean only then England will have some chance of drawing the series.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
5-0s rarely happen, never heard of rain?

As for their 2nd XI, don't remind me! Last time that happened in a Quad-Series, we, um, lost to both :cry:. Never happen in tests though...

Yes I was aware it was a joke... A bad one at that.

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
"5-0s rarely happen, never heard of rain? "

Oh yeah, i forgot, England will be hoping for that in all 5 tests matches :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That wasn't the point... but yes, it would come in handy :cry:

I was saying that 5-0s are unlikely as at least one test will be severely affected by rain. 4-0 or 3-1 however would be the best we can realistically hope for currently :P