• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 Most defensive test batsmen (post 1980)

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I wouldn't really say Langer, although he might be a bit more defensive than most of the other Aussie batsmen his strike rate is still around 53 which isn't really slow.

Link

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Kallis
Dravid
Mark Taylor

those names sprant to my mind straightaway.
i wouldnt agree with kallis because he has a carzy streak in him and he can dominate some bowlers when he feels like it. he does hold the record for the fastest test 50

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Trevor Gripper
Mike Atherton
Mark Richardson
Matthew Hoggard
Gary Kirsten
I probably wouldn't have included Gripper, but basically that would be my line-up of the five slowest too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
Aakash Chopra deserves a mention, 'bettering' Mark Richardson's mark with a career SR of 34.60.
i was just about to mention him. probably has the smallest range of shots of any batsman since 1980 too. he's like that guy out of the Test Match cricket game thing you play at home.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Gillespie has to be the slowest, but i would also put Thilan Samarawerra up there, his quite slow.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
xan_pro said:
i might say JUSTIN LANGER of Australia considering that most of the Aussies are aggressive.
Justin Langer is aggressive! He USED to be very defensive, but he's changed his game to be very explosive, especially for a Test opener.