• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

V.Kambli

mofo123

U19 12th Man
i sed in the pak ind..thread i think its a shame this guy didnt get a longer run 17 games average 54.5 ... 4 hundreds...yet only 17 matches and his last match was in 1996...y hasnt he ever played his first class average is 59 as well :wacko: :blink:

deeps

International 12th Man
off field problems...i would take him over ganguly anyday. i would even go as far as saying i'd take him over laxman.

mofo123

U19 12th Man
deeps said:
off field problems...i would take him over ganguly anyday. i would even go as far as saying i'd take him over laxman.
off field problems seem t b to blame for a lot of missed stars...sad really

Sehwag309

Banned
Met him once in a bar in bombay, had a fractured leg...sipping his drink in the corner.

He said he would be in action soon, well its been 6 years now

Off-field stuff plus he didn't take the game seriously, lost form and then just drifted away...

Some said he was more talented than Sachin

mofo123

U19 12th Man
Sehwag309 said:
Met him once in a bar in bombay, had a fractured leg...sipping his drink in the corner.

Off-field stuff plus he didn't take the game seriously, lost form and then just drifted away...

lost form? man first class 59 average...test 54 where the lost form:P i feel sorry for him

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag309 said:

He was very talented but he had a major attitude problem and then he really went down even in performance. His figures look impressive because at the end of 10 tests he was averaging 94 !!

In his last seven test matches he scored a total of 138 runs at an average of 13.8 and a top score of 40. Because he did not play longer his average is protected. It was dropping like no bodies business.

He also started having a major problem facing fast bowling.

In one dayers, in his last 19 games he averaged 17 with just one 50.

No my friend, Kambli was finished. He still plays for Bombay regularly and scores enough to stay in the first class side but nothing so remarkable as for anyone to talk about a comeback from him..

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
^ Exactly right.. And V Kambli started to gain weight aswell and became slow and lazy around the field.. got his ear pierced and just seemed focussed at that time anything but the game..

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
He was very talented but he had a major attitude problem and then he really went down even in performance. His figures look impressive because at the end of 10 tests he was averaging 94 !!

In his last seven test matches he scored a total of 138 runs at an average of 13.8 and a top score of 40. Because he did not play longer his average is protected. It was dropping like no bodies business.

No my friend, Kambli was finished. He still plays for Bombay regularly and scores enough to stay in the first class side but nothing so remarkable as for anyone to talk about a comeback from him..
Thanks for the info SJS. I always wondered what happened to him. Another case of wasted talent.

Swervy

International Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
^ Exactly right.. And V Kambli started to gain weight aswell and became slow and lazy around the field.. got his ear pierced and just seemed focussed at that time anything but the game..
erm....whats that got to do with his playing!!!!????

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
erm....whats that got to do with his playing!!!!????
I just used it as a (real) metaphor to show his attitude and focus toward the game.. how he got fat , lazy.. wasn't athletic around the field.. was concerned more about his looks etc rather than staying concentrated on the game.. ie also to suggest a landmark which was sort of like a turning point in his career

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
lord_of_darkness said:
I just used it as a (real) metaphor to show his attitude and focus toward the game.. how he got fat , lazy.. wasn't athletic around the field.. was concerned more about his looks etc rather than staying concentrated on the game.. ie also to suggest a landmark which was sort of like a turning point in his career
Yes you are right. He was more interested in being seen with the starlets and being at the hep parties. If his cricket was going fine, no one would have bothered but since he was doing this while his game was going to pieces, he got himself a lot of negative publicity.

Swervy

International Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
i see!!!!!

ReallyCrazy

Banned
For sure, Kambli had a lot more natural talent than even Sachin. He used to outshine Sachin regularly during their school days and also when he first came into the team. Within a handful of test matches, he had already scored two double hundreds. And then something happened.

He started drinking and partying too much and lost focus in his cricket. He started making "statements" with his piercings and shaved head and what not. His mind was not in the game anymore and rightfully he faded away.

If Kambli had worked hard on his cricket, he could have become an even bigger star than Sachin coz the talent was definitely there in abundance.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yep thats just what i was saying and you compiled it well..

On the Whole for people who are wondering about V Kambli

&

For sure, Kambli had a lot more natural talent than even Sachin. He used to outshine Sachin regularly during their school days and also when he first came into the team. Within a handful of test matches, he had already scored two double hundreds. And then something happened.

He started drinking and partying too much and lost focus in his cricket. He started making "statements" with his piercings and shaved head and what not. His mind was not in the game anymore and rightfully he faded away.

If Kambli had worked hard on his cricket, he could have become an even bigger star than Sachin coz the talent was definitely there in abundance.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I think you're all missing the point here. Not one person has mentioned his first chance average...
Oh sh** !!

And now you tell us :@ :@

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope ear piercage doesn't always mean that, Vettori just got his done I think. Both ears in fact. As you do.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
lord_of_darkness said:
i dont get it.. what do you mean neil?
Come on Lord, you dont know about "first chance averages" !! I am scandalised by your ignorance. :p

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
Come on Lord, you dont know about "first chance averages" !! I am scandalised by your ignorance. :p
actually..where has Richard been recently..maybe he has taken his theories to another site