• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

playing rhythms

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys i'm quite new here. I start following cricket few months ago, coming from a baseball background and huge passion for bat and run games. I really like cricket but most of the games i ve watched were in telly and mainly highlights etc not full games. I was wondering: but watching a game live or playing it....isn t it a bit boring. I mean when you field for 2 days running, or for 4 hrs in ODIs.......i mean in baseball defense or attack alternate continuosly on the field while in cricket you play lot of hrs in the same position.....Give me your feedback pls.Thanks.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cricnewbye said:
Hi guys i'm quite new here. I start following cricket few months ago, coming from a baseball background and huge passion for bat and run games. I really like cricket but most of the games i ve watched were in telly and mainly highlights etc not full games. I was wondering: but watching a game live or playing it....isn t it a bit boring. I mean when you field for 2 days running, or for 4 hrs in ODIs.......i mean in baseball defense or attack alternate continuosly on the field while in cricket you play lot of hrs in the same position.....Give me your feedback pls.Thanks.
If you have read only short stories you may find it difficult to go through a massive classic like , say, War and Peace. However, if you have read classsics like that before, you would know, a short story cant touch them.

Taste for classics, symphonies, operas and the longer version of cricket are acquired over time but for those who havent acquired them, it is always a bit of a mystery how people sit through them.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Cricnewbye, you seem to have skipped the advertisemnts, credits and introduction and gone straight to the main event.

I like cricket now very much but in 2003, i i knew three cricketers, Vaughan, Trescothick and Andreson [from the newspapers]. I first started playing with my friends, the playing for the school, then a club then i got interested in actually watching it. i still find it abit boring watching when are batting at 11 [my official position] and the top 5 are all blockers but i am getting there [i mean i don't yet appreciate teams blocking for wo days to draw a test match but, i will learn]

i just feel, you started too quickly

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
if you genuinely do have a passion for the game you will learn to sit through hours of test match cricket without feeling bored, if you develop your intrest in the game then you will learn that it is a fantastic game and will fall in love with it.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Best way to understand it is to play it IMO, though your location is stated as 'continental europe' so you might have some trouble doing this. Move to England. :p

deeps

International 12th Man
watching a test match, for 5 days can at times be boring depending on whos playing etc. But yes, there are plenty of boring sessions.

But a good match, like the recent pakistan india matches were all very very good and there was some entertaining cricket almost the entire 5 days.

in terms of actualy playing the game, i find it doesn't get very boring after fielding 75 overs. Tiring yes, boring not really, there's plenty of work to be done! And again, there are passages of play where it can be boring.

One dayers however, not at all boring. But i prefer tests for some reason

Legglancer

State Regular
SJS said:
If you have read only short stories you may find it difficult to go through a massive classic like , say, War and Peace. However, if you have read classsics like that before, you would know, a short story cant touch them.

Taste for classics, symphonies, operas and the longer version of cricket are acquired over time but for those who havent acquired them, it is always a bit of a mystery how people sit through them.
Excellent Analogy