• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever Test XI

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Following on the Greatest Ever One Day XI effort, I've decided to do one for Tests. No such specifics this time. Go crazy! Please don't take this literally. Make teams that are sensible.This is my team.Oh yeah, one rule . No imagining. Such as in the case of guys like Graeme Pollock.

Gavaskar
Tendulkar
Bradman
Lara
S Waugh
Sobers
Gilchrist
Marshall
Warne
McGrath
Holding

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Courtney Walsh was a tremendous bowler, but not one of the greatest ever. He wouldn't be near my greatest Test XI. Dev also would not be there ahead of Hadlee.

There have been better wicket-keeper batsmen than Dujon (Gilchrist?!) and better opening batsmen than Greenidge and Haynes. How in the world does Sobers miss out?

Overall I'd say your Test XI is very shallow in it's player pool.

howardj

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
Following on the Greatest Ever One Day XI effort, I've decided to do one for Tests. No such specifics this time. Go crazy! Please don't take this literally. Make teams that are sensible.This is my team.Oh yeah, one rule . No imagining. Such as in the case of guys like Graeme Pollock.

Greenidge
Haynes
Tendulkar
Bradman
Headley
Lara
Dujon
Dev
Warne
McGrath
Walsh
Mate, there are four certainties, and youve missed three of them - Gilchrist, Gavaskar and Sobers

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well mate ur side looks a bit iffy their :happy: , no sobers?, come on mate he just has to be their, plus one can debate on that wicket-keeper postion, well maybe its because ur a west indian but i dont think Greenidge & Haynes would be the too best openers of all time when their were blokes like Gavaskar, Hutton, Gooch and a few others. DEV :mellow: well definitely we could slot him the best Indian team ever not the an all time one, a guy like Imran Khan, Hadlee, Botham were better than him. Well thier are so many Fast Bowlers that could argue in their Lillee, Marshall, Truman, Lindwall, Ambrose, Imran Khan and probably a few bowlers for me the only bowler that can be sucured in an all-time XI is Warne. The middle order is also debatable not that its pretty good but has a wrote earlier Sobers, richards, The Chappels, Miandad, Cowdrey etc could agrue for places

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh. I'd still call Headley superior to Lara and Steve Waugh. I'd also be hesitant to include Holding over others. Also, surely England gets a look-in? May post up my XI in time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

howardj said:
Hutton
Gavaskar
Bradman
Lara
G Pollock
Sobers
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne
Barnes
Ambrose
well mate i would agrue onBarnes Akram & Pollock. Especially Pollock since he didn't play much test cricket but no doubt was a superb player also Barnes since he played only againts England and a Poor SA in the late 18th century & early 1900. I reckon though looking a McGrath in his carrer & since his return he should be in the greatest ever test XI

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
My All Time XI:
H Sutchiffe (sp)
J Hobbs
D Bradman
S Tendulkar
G Pollock
G Sober
A Gilchirst
S Warne
M Muralitharan
C Ambrose
G McGarth

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
My All Time XI:
H Sutchiffe (sp)
J Hobbs
D Bradman
S Tendulkar
G Pollock
G Sober
A Gilchirst
S Warne
M Muralitharan
C Ambrose
G McGarth
No Gavaskar?

Slifer

International Captain
im new to this board but here is my team:

Gavaskar
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist
Murali/Wasim
Hadlee
Marshall
Mcgrath

Ps: Wasim or Murali depending on the nature of the pitch

howardj

International Coach
Slifer said:
im new to this board but here is my team:

Gavaskar
Hobbs
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hammond
Sobers
Gilchrist
Murali/Wasim
Hadlee
Marshall
Mcgrath

Ps: Wasim or Murali depending on the nature of the pitch
That looks a great side mate - hadlee was incredibly resourceful and accurate

masterblaster

International Captain
Too hard to make a greatest test XI for me. I'd actually go with Richie Benaud's all time list to an extent, and maybe just change a couple of players.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
No Gavaskar?
For me those two english openers where the greatest opener to play together, i rather go for those two together then Gavsakar and Hobbs, or someone else. He is probably a better opener then both of them but together their a better option then Gavsakar IMO

mofo123

U19 12th Man
i think its impossible to have a world all time XI so many players would b left out it would b an imense tragedy...although may i suggest a pakistan XI which i think would give any XI a run for their money:
Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Yousuf Youhana/Mushtaq Mohammad
Imran Khan
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Saqlain Mushtaq/Abdul Qadar

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well i must say that side does look powerful, if it were to play an all time XI, they would certainly put up a challenge

Blaze

Banned
I think Richard Hadlee suffers a bit in these World XI teams due to the fact that people see him as a contender for filling the all rounders role when really first and foremost people should look at his bowling.

He would make my team as a new ball bowler even if he wasn't that capable with the bat