• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

can u get stumped on a no ball ?

kof98

U19 12th Man
I remember there was a similar thread a while back, the answer is no. If you want to know why refer to the ICC rules.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty simple. You can not get out to a noball delivery. You can get run out though, because a run is an action taken separate to that of the ball. Thus, you can get out after the fact.

shankar

International Debutant
For obvious practical reasons run-out has to applicable whether the delivery is legal or illegal! :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
lol or abusing the umpire full stop i imagine, what happens if you throw ur bat at him ? :p
Good question actually. As far as I know you cannot simply be dismissed by the umpire for inappropriate behaviour, so if you were to say physically attack the umpire it is hard to imagine what would happen. And in fact this is not entirely out of the realms of possibility, many other sports have had incidents where the umpire is attacked by a player, and while some of them such as football can see a player sent off, in cricket I don't believe you can be.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
FaaipDeOiad said:
Good question actually. As far as I know you cannot simply be dismissed by the umpire for inappropriate behaviour, so if you were to say physically attack the umpire it is hard to imagine what would happen. And in fact this is not entirely out of the realms of possibility, many other sports have had incidents where the umpire is attacked by a player, and while some of them such as football can see a player sent off, in cricket I don't believe you can be.
hmm intresting, maybe nothing would happen in the match itself, although i rather expet after it had come to a close you would be fined all of your match fee and more, and then banned for life i expect, something harsh as a punishment no doubt :p

C_C

International Captain
i think if the umpire raises his finger, the batsman is out. Period. Thats how the rule stands of today...i've seen one instance (mid 90s..involving IND and NZ i think...not sure) where nobody appealed..everyone held their head in a 'hooooo close' sorta fashion but the umpire raises his finger and the batsman goes.

And i am pretty sure if you compared his mum to mata hari (for eg), yer gonna get the finger to go up. :D

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
so if the umpire did not like the way you smell is he justified in just raising his finger and dismissing you? lol

C_C

International Captain
Justified ? No.
Can he ? Yes.

Even if the umpire is hopelessly wrong, if finger goes up, off you go. Period. No questions asked.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
C_C said:
Justified ? No.
Can he ? Yes.

Even if the umpire is hopelessly wrong, if finger goes up, off you go. Period. No questions asked.
but surely the rules of the game do not allow the umpire to do that, there would be a bloody uproar if an umpire gave a player out in a test because he had one crooked tooth in his mouth,

C_C

International Captain
well if an umpire can give a batsman out without any appeal (and i've seen it once or twice in test cricket), he can give you out for whatever reason.....