• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

can u get stumped on a no ball ?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
The batsman cannot be stumped off a no ball by the wicketkeeper unless he attempts to run and then it would be batsman out of his ground, for a fielder to dismiss a batsman out of his ground the batsman does not need to be attempting to run just out of his ground.
Looking at the rules it seems you are right, but what about the controversy over the Dean Jones dismissal then? He was given out run-out when he was walking under the mistaken impression he had been given out when it was in fact a no-ball, and he was run out by the fielder after he turned to come back and was then given out, but the decision was later retracted as inaccurate.

Scallywag

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Looking at the rules it seems you are right, but what about the controversy over the Dean Jones dismissal then? He was given out run-out when he was walking under the mistaken impression he had been given out when it was in fact a no-ball, and he was run out by the fielder after he turned to come back and was then given out, but the decision was later retracted as inaccurate.
Law 27)
7. Batsman leaving his wicket under a misapprehension
An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that a batsman, not having been given out, has left his wicket under a misapprehension that he is out. The umpire intervening shall call and signal Dead ball to prevent any further action by the fielding side and shall recall the batsman.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
You can, however, be stumped off a wide
I love those when a silly batsmen thinks he can charge me and i can see his feet shuffle already.. just drop it a bit wide of his bat reach and later bro..

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
deeps said:
that is correct

playin this season we had a new umpire called anne, who i think took the rules too seriously at times

We were not allowed to talk to the opposition at all (ie, not a single semi bad thing) as she would tell us off. If someone got bowled or obviously , an appeal still had to be made and various other ridicilous rules...no swearing either...and not just at the opposition, no foul language is allowed at any stage.

I was threatened of being sent off (can she even do that) for talkin to the other teams batsman (who happened to be one of my best friends) whilst we were waitin due to some hold up, and the F word was mentioned a few times (of course we were talkin normally) and she went ape at me
anne sounds like a real dyke

Behlol

U19 Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Law 27)
7. Batsman leaving his wicket under a misapprehension
An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that a batsman, not having been given out, has left his wicket under a misapprehension that he is out. The umpire intervening shall call and signal Dead ball to prevent any further action by the fielding side and shall recall the batsman.
another question Scallywag,if a runner is runing for a batsman and the runner gets out of the crease and the wicketkeeper hits the stump.Is he out,or if the batsman comes out so he will be out?

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Behlol said:
another question Scallywag,if a runner is runing for a batsman and the runner gets out of the crease and the wicketkeeper hits the stump.Is he out,or if the batsman comes out so he will be out?
I think that if either one of them is out of the crease it can be run out.

8. Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner
(a) A batsman's runner is subject to the Laws. He will be regarded as a batsman except where there are specific provisions for his role as a runner. See 7 above and Law 29.2 (Which is a batsman's ground).

(b) A batsman with a runner will suffer the penalty for any infringement of the Laws by his runner as though he had been himself responsible for the infringement. In particular he will be out if his runner is out under any of Laws 33 (Handled the ball), 37 (Obstructing the field) or 38 (Run out).

(c) When a batsman with a runner is striker he remains himself subject to the Laws and will be liable to the penalties that any infringement of them demands.
Additionally, if he is out of his ground when the wicket is put down at the wicket-keeper's end, he will be out in the circumstances of Law 38 (Run out) or Law 39 (Stumped) irrespective of the position of the non-striker or of the runner. If he is thus dismissed, runs completed by the runner and the other batsman before the dismissal shall not be scored. However, the penalty for a No ball or a Wide shall stand, together with any penalties to either side that may be awarded when the ball is dead. See Law 42.17 (Penalty runs).