• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

can u get stumped on a no ball ?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
C_C said:
well if an umpire can give a batsman out without any appeal (and i've seen it once or twice in test cricket), he can give you out for whatever reason.....
well he cant give a batsman out lbw unless there is an appeal, that is a law of the game.

Steulen

International Regular
I believe he cannot give a batsman out without an appeal, period. It's only that with the very obvious ones (bowled, clean caught in the deep or slips) no-one bothers. But technically, you have to have an appeal, don't you?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Steulen said:
I believe he cannot give a batsman out without an appeal, period. It's only that with the very obvious ones (bowled, clean caught in the deep or slips) no-one bothers. But technically, you have to have an appeal, don't you?
yes thats what i thought, generally speaking i dont think the umpire is allowed to give someone out without an appeal being given, unless of course it is clean bowled etc...as you stated above.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
well if an umpire can give a batsman out without any appeal (and i've seen it once or twice in test cricket), he can give you out for whatever reason.....
You saw an umpire give a batsman out without you knowing who appealed. I find it hard to believe that you watched all 11 players at the same time and know for a fact that none appealed. Sometimes a fielder close to the umpire can ask the question very without yelling and get the verdict. I've seen the commentators fooled by that a few times.

Scallywag

Banned
sledger said:
hmm intresting, maybe nothing would happen in the match itself, although i rather expet after it had come to a close you would be fined all of your match fee and more, and then banned for life i expect, something harsh as a punishment no doubt :p
If you attacked an umpire he would end the game and award the match to the opposition.

telsor

U19 12th Man
There has to be an appeal for the umpire to give a batsman out.

In cases like being bowled, technically, the batsman walks. ( I suppose batsmen can always give themselves out ).

--------
The rules!!!

27.1 Umpire not to give batsman out without an appeal
Neither umpire shall give a batsman out, even though he may be out under the Laws, unless appealed to by the fielding side. This shall not debar a batsman who is out under any of the Laws from leaving his wicket without an appeal having been made. Note, however, the provisions of 7 below.

27.2 2. Batsman dismissed
A batsman is dismissed if
either (a) he is given out by an umpire, on appeal

or (b) he is out under any of the Laws and leaves his wicket as in 1 above.

27.7 Batsman leaving his wicket under a misapprehension
An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that a batsman, not having been given out, has left his wicket under a misapprehension that he is out. The umpire intervening shall call and signal Dead ball to prevent any further action by the fielding side and shall recall the batsman.

27.9 Umpire's decision
An umpire may alter his decision provided that such alteration is made promptly. This apart, an umpire's decision, once made, is final.

I like 27.2 and 27.9 because they declare what so many people on this board fail to realise...That the umpire making his decision is part of the rules and is therefore no less a part of 'is a batsman out?' than did it pitch in line.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
this might sound stupid but if the keeper is standing back say to a medium pacer ,the batsman is out of his crease ,the keeper hits the wicket would that count as stumped or run out

Steulen

International Regular
PAKMAN said:
this might sound stupid but if the keeper is standing back say to a medium pacer ,the batsman is out of his crease ,the keeper hits the wicket would that count as stumped or run out
This was discussed in another forum recently...if only I could remember the outcome :).

Roughly, I think the verdict is stumped when the batsman does not attempt a run and run out when he does attempt a run. So in a no ball situation, this could get ugly, with the batsman insisting his forward shuffle was just taking the mickey with the overstepping fool of a bowler rather than a genuine scoring attempt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Even if an umpire orders the batsman off the field, the batsman cant be declared out and marked out on the score sheet.

Scallywag

Banned
PAKMAN said:
If the umpire considers the batsman did not try to regain his crease then it will be run out, if he considers the batsman tried to regain his crease then it will be a stumping and not out unless of course there was an attempt to run.

deeps

International 12th Man
Steulen said:

that is correct

playin this season we had a new umpire called anne, who i think took the rules too seriously at times

We were not allowed to talk to the opposition at all (ie, not a single semi bad thing) as she would tell us off. If someone got bowled or obviously , an appeal still had to be made and various other ridicilous rules...no swearing either...and not just at the opposition, no foul language is allowed at any stage.

I was threatened of being sent off (can she even do that) for talkin to the other teams batsman (who happened to be one of my best friends) whilst we were waitin due to some hold up, and the F word was mentioned a few times (of course we were talkin normally) and she went ape at me

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
Scallywag said:
If the umpire considers the batsman did not try to regain his crease then it will be run out, if he considers the batsman tried to regain his crease then it will be a stumping and not out unless of course there was an attempt to run.
is that from the rules book ?

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
what if the ball is played to short-leg, who throws it on the stumps. batsman overbalanced and was out of the crease.

Scallywag

Banned
Vroomfondel said:
what if the ball is played to short-leg, who throws it on the stumps. batsman overbalanced and was out of the crease.
He would be run out, a no ball only excludes a stumping.

Scallywag

Banned
Vroomfondel said:
Even though he wasn't ostensibly going for a run?
Not attempting to run only excludes you from a stumping on a no ball, if the fielder throws down the wicket and you are out of your ground and it is run out.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Not attempting to run only excludes you from a stumping on a no ball, if the fielder throws down the wicket and you are out of your ground and it is run out.
My understanding is that if you overbalance and fall out of your crease you cannot be run-out, only stumped, at least today. The rules state that "a batsman can only be run out if he is attempting to run". If you fall over, that's not attempting to run, so I don't think you can be run out, but I know if you advance down the wicket to hit the ball and short leg throws the stumps down before you get back to your crease you can be out, so I am not exactly sure what the interpretation is.

It would seem based on the laws that you cannot be out in this case. Given that the rules state a batsman can only be run out if he is attempting to run, and you cannot be out stumped by anyone other than the wicket-keeper.

Scallywag

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
My understanding is that if you overbalance and fall out of your crease you cannot be run-out, only stumped, at least today. The rules state that "a batsman can only be run out if he is attempting to run". If you fall over, that's not attempting to run, so I don't think you can be run out, but I know if you advance down the wicket to hit the ball and short leg throws the stumps down before you get back to your crease you can be out, so I am not exactly sure what the interpretation is.

It would seem based on the laws that you cannot be out in this case. Given that the rules state a batsman can only be run out if he is attempting to run, and you cannot be out stumped by anyone other than the wicket-keeper.
The batsman cannot be stumped off a no ball by the wicketkeeper unless he attempts to run and then it would be batsman out of his ground, for a fielder to dismiss a batsman out of his ground the batsman does not need to be attempting to run just out of his ground.