• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket?

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket

• Andrew Strauss

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Marcus Trescothick

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • Michael Vaughan

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Graham Thorpe

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Kevin Pieterson

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

• Geriant Jones

• Ashley Giles

• Matthew Hoggard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Jones

• Steve Harmison

• James Anderson

• Robert Key

• Mark Butcher

• Total voters

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
It might do, it all depends on the circumstances.
And the circumstances being Australia's attack, I'd say it's exceptionally unlikely that anyone would score said score except very rarely (such as the Chanderpaul case).
Circumstances is the key word here Richard. Given the right circumstances Sehwag could very well do it. That is the great thing about cricket, it is not played on expectation nor is it played on paper, there are many circumstances that can change the game. Something, I think, you are yet to truely grasp in your analysis of this great game.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Well, seeing as Flintoff is out, I'd say he's a certain to make his Test debut against Bangladesh.
if im correct, i think richard's referring to how b'desh isnt test cl***, hence his first unoffiial test is against australia.

tooextracool

International Coach
on a side note, i like how we've got the a** censored, which means we cant use the word 'cla**' anymore without the censoring, and the fact that the most disgraceful footballer ever has his name censored in my signature.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I predict he will bowl the very first ball of the series to Andrew Strauss on an overcast July morning at Lords having sent England in.

The ball will pitch on off stump angling away and bounce way more than Strauss anticipates, causing him to stand on his crease and push at it meekly with hands well away from his body, the resulting inside edge will then neatly remove the off bail leaving Strauss with a dumbfounded look on his face and England with another great Ashes start.

tooextracool

International Coach
iamdavid said:
I predict he will bowl the very first ball of the series to Andrew Strauss on an overcast July morning at Lords having sent England in..
thats all fine and good, except that tresco will face the first ball.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hmm then my prediction dosent really add up then does it......ok Trescothick will somehow forget his box and not realise until he gets to the middle.
He will call for it but it cant be run out to him until the end of the first over...he therefore invites Strauss to face and hopes for no singles....

Mister Wright

iamdavid said:
Hmm then my prediction dosent really add up then does it......ok Trescothick will somehow forget his box and not realise until he gets to the middle.
He will call for it but it cant be run out to him until the end of the first over...he therefore invites Strauss to face and hopes for no singles....
Or Trescothick could just be injured and Strauss as the senior opener will face first. A lot more logical and easier to work out... :p

iamdavid

International Debutant
True.....but I prefer my original explanation.

More comical, indicative of England's ashes fortunes over the last decade and a half.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why not? The dropped catch aside, he pounded McGrath.
No, nothing puts aside dropped catches.
He also had an excellent time of it in India more recently being aggressive against McGrath. Not to say McGrath didn't pick him up a few times as well, but Sehwag scored far more runs than any of the more defensive and technically correct Indian batsmen. Dravid for example looked all at sea against McGrath from start to finish in that series.
He did indeed, and all the other aggressive batsman struggled as well as Dravid.
It was nothing other than coincidence, and not a very surprising one given that Dravid is the only "defensive" batsman in the Indian team, that Sehwag was the only one to succeed against McGrath.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Well, seeing as Flintoff is out, I'd say he's a certain to make his Test debut against Bangladesh.
No, you can't play proper Test-matches against Bangladesh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Or Trescothick could just be injured and Strauss as the senior opener will face first. A lot more logical and easier to work out... :p
Just because Strauss is the senior opener doesn't mean he'll face first.
There's no way at all of being able to tell who'll face first in an opening pair until they've opened a few times together.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Circumstances is the key word here Richard. Given the right circumstances Sehwag could very well do it. That is the great thing about cricket, it is not played on expectation nor is it played on paper, there are many circumstances that can change the game. Something, I think, you are yet to truely grasp in your analysis of this great game.
No, cricket is not played on paper, but it is summarised there, or there'd be no point playing it at all.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
Just because Strauss is the senior opener doesn't mean he'll face first.
There's no way at all of being able to tell who'll face first in an opening pair until they've opened a few times together.
Does it really matter?

Mister Wright

Richard said:
No, cricket is not played on paper, but it is summarised there, or there'd be no point playing it at all.
It was played for many years before they decided to use scorebooks and keep statistics. It is played in the backyard as a little one for years before you even think about scoring on paper or keeping your own statistics. So there is a point to playing cricket without 'paper'.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It will be Trescothic in the fift over of the inning out caught in the slips after having made 7 or 8 runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
It was played for many years before they decided to use scorebooks and keep statistics. It is played in the backyard as a little one for years before you even think about scoring on paper or keeping your own statistics. So there is a point to playing cricket without 'paper'.
And why do you think they started keeping scores...?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
It will be Trescothic in the fift over of the inning out caught in the slips after having made 7 or 8 runs.
Once again - I doubt it, Gillespie is the guy who gets Trescothick out barring exceptional circumstances.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
And why do you think they started keeping scores...?
Because it became competitive.

You missed my point, that cricket (in its truest form) is just played in the backyard with a few mates, a couple of beers and a bbq if possible.