• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket?

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket

• Andrew Strauss

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Marcus Trescothick

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • Michael Vaughan

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Graham Thorpe

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Kevin Pieterson

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

• Geriant Jones

• Ashley Giles

• Matthew Hoggard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Jones

• Steve Harmison

• James Anderson

• Robert Key

• Mark Butcher

• Total voters

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
We'll be lucky!
It's normally our players who get injured by the dozen come Ashes series.
Agreed. At the rate we lose players, we could be down to Corky by the first Ashes test

<quack> Could do worse

Mildred Cork

<quack> Same person

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Could do worse... could do worse indeed...
I doubt it, though - even if he takes 60 at 15 by July...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Could do worse... could do worse indeed...
I doubt it, though - even if he takes 60 at 15 by July...
It'd be fun if Brad Cheaty-Hodge was in the Aussie team.

Maybe they should both be wheeled out for the Twenty20

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Massively optimistic to expect anyone to score 57 off 54 balls against Australia in a Test-match.
Why not?

Vincent in the 3rd Test was going that way.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Massively optimistic to expect anyone to score 57 off 54 balls against Australia in a Test-match.
yeah richard why not a few years ago the `` THE BOURDA BULLY`` aka Chanderpaul scored a hundred in 60 odd balls againts the australians

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
People who have taken catches off AJ Strauss include... RD Jacobs (3), MV Boucher (1), BB McCullum (1). :p
Agree about the lbw bit, though - he's been lbw to a seamer once in his 24 innings.

I think if he were going to he'd have done so by now.
It's odd, but McGrath has never worked-out Trescothick - got him out 4 times in 18 innings (top-edged pull; totally unplayable lifter; caught slip; dragged-on); Gillespie, on the other hand, has created 9 chances off him in 20 (2 in which he was injured).
It's almost always Gillespie who causes him problems, for obvious reasons.
Fair enough, he's had his innings finished by 'keepers. When I said he edges to the slips, I mean he creates plenty of chances, or 'half-chances' in the slips cordon. A Strauss innings is inevitably laced with plenty of edge-drives ( :D ) and huge nicks. A lot fall short, a lot of them fly through at a billion kilometres an hour and are uncatchable, and plenty are dropped. It happens all the time. Doesn't make him any less great to watch though! :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Instinct says a Trescothick fend. Hope Scallywag's last prediction is right, though!
i predict that tresco would go down to gillespie caught in 2nd slip.
pieterson or whoever it is who comes in at 3 is dismissed by mcgrath
strauss survives defensively till lunch for 30 odd before he throws his wicket away going for the pull off kaspa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why not?

Vincent in the 3rd Test was going that way.
Exactly - and he only got 40. Even that was rather surprising.
aussie said:
yeah richard why not a few years ago the `` THE BOURDA BULLY`` aka Chanderpaul scored a hundred in 60 odd balls againts the australians
And Chanderpaul has played plenty of incredibly fast innings, but nonetheless the only decent bowler on show that day was Gillespie.

Link

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
i predict that tresco would go down to gillespie caught in 2nd slip.
pieterson or whoever it is who comes in at 3 is dismissed by mcgrath
strauss survives defensively till lunch for 30 odd before he throws his wicket away going for the pull off kaspa.
good prediction. i hope pietersen will be walking out to bat at three, if not then butcher will do. But i dont think........ no im sure strauss will not be giving easy wickets away, especially if he gets a start, he is way to pumped for this series to adopt that mentality

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly don't like the idea of Pietersen walking out at three... ever... let alone on his debut (no, he WON'T make his debut against Bangladesh, you can't play proper Test-cricket against Bangladesh).
I hope against hope that it will be Butcher at one-down.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Unless he's actually done it already I don't see that it's likely at all.
So, just because a bowler hasn't got a 10 wicket hall before doesn't mean they're capable of it, or a batsman is yet to get a 150, does that mean they can't get it?

C_C

International Captain
Well i will take the hyperboles to another level.

McGrath's 500th wicket : Chris Gayle.
:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
So, just because a bowler hasn't got a 10 wicket hall before doesn't mean they're capable of it, or a batsman is yet to get a 150, does that mean they can't get it?
It might do, it all depends on the circumstances.
And the circumstances being Australia's attack, I'd say it's exceptionally unlikely that anyone would score said score except very rarely (such as the Chanderpaul case).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I'm not totally familiar with every one of his deeds but I do hope you're not referring to The MCG 2003\04?
Why not? The dropped catch aside, he pounded McGrath. He also had an excellent time of it in India more recently being aggressive against McGrath. Not to say McGrath didn't pick him up a few times as well, but Sehwag scored far more runs than any of the more defensive and technically correct Indian batsmen. Dravid for example looked all at sea against McGrath from start to finish in that series.

edit: It just occured to me that of course Sehwag did not face McGrath in 03/04. Still, he played him far better than Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly etc in India in 2004.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I certainly don't like the idea of Pietersen walking out at three... ever... let alone on his debut (no, he WON'T make his debut against Bangladesh).
Well, seeing as Flintoff is out, I'd say he's a certain to make his Test debut against Bangladesh.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why not? The dropped catch aside, he pounded McGrath. He also had an excellent time of it in India more recently being aggressive against McGrath. Not to say McGrath didn't pick him up a few times as well, but Sehwag scored far more runs than any of the more defensive and technically correct Indian batsmen. Dravid for example looked all at sea against McGrath from start to finish in that series.

edit: It just occured to me that of course Sehwag did not face McGrath in 03/04. Still, he played him far better than Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly etc in India in 2004.
Forgive me if my memory is playing tricks on me, but McGrath was injured during that series, was he not? So therefore on that occasion Sehwag could not have smashed McGrath around because he wasn't playing.