Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Analysis of McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by psxpro
    I think Mgrath over Ambrose becasue he has bowled at better players and got worked them out recently on flatter pitches.
    thats quite a generalisation you have made there, not totally accurate imo, mcgrath has also bowled against much poorer batting line ups such as zimbabwe, and the batsman that ambrose faced were not exactly poor were they ?

International Debutant
    McGrath has 499! Ambrose has 519. Not much difference in the amount of wickets taken, so you can't really judge much on that.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Another excellent post C_C.

Honestly, one other thing McGrath must be noted for is his consistency - he rarely ever has 'off' days and the corridor of uncertainty that you speak of - he's constantly getting it in there, ball by ball.

Another thing that makes "Pigeon" is his dedication to his batting - it's truly admirable how serious he is about it.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Banned
    I was just saying it simply, they are both great bowlers and hard to separate but I just rate Mgrath higher.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    I am slightly tilted towards Ambrose in all honesty...simply because he faced an overall superior batting cast than McGrath with much less consistent support.....but i can see people picking either one of the two.
    Both players faced good to great batsmen, and both players bowled as part of both awesome and moderate bowling attacks. I don't think Ambrose had much less support on a whole. Remember that he played from 88 to 2000, and McGrath has played from 93. During the period from 88 to 95, Ambrose bowled with consistently powerful bowling attacks. Marshall/Ambrose/Bishop/Walsh and Ambrose/Bishop/Walsh/Benjamin are fantastic bowling lineups, the former one of the strongest ever seen. McGrath has always had Warne, but Ambrose always had Walsh, and McGrath/Warne's seam support cast of McDermott, Fleming, Reiffel, Gillespie, Lee, Kasprowicz etc is good, but so is Ambrose/Walsh's cast of Bishop, Marshall, K. Benjamin, W. Benjamin, Dillon etc.

McGrath perhaps bowled in stronger bowling lineups overall because of Warne's class, but it's NOT a huge gap. There is however a big gap in terms of the types of pitches they bowled on. McGrath has dealt with mostly flat pitches since the 2000 period, which is now nearly half of his career, Ambrose largely avoided that and bowled on the decent wickets of the 90s.

They are extremely close and both fantastic bowlers, and they are the two best seamers I have watched extensively, but I think McGrath is the better overall bowler by a touch. The one area where Ambrose really scores over him is his ability on a dangerous wicket, where he is one of the best ever.

One thing I will say however is that I wish I could have watched them bowl on the same team, just like Warne and Murali. Maybe we'll get lucky and Australia will somehow be knocked out of first on the test championship before 2007, and we will get to see Warne and Murali together in the World XI side.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by Dydl
    McGrath has 499! Ambrose has 519. Not much difference in the amount of wickets taken, so you can't really judge much on that.
    Ambrose had 405, it is Walsh who had 519, and McGrath will pass that before the end of the year.

C_C
    McGrath has always had Warne, but Ambrose always had Walsh, and McGrath/Warne's seam support cast of McDermott, Fleming, Reiffel, Gillespie, Lee, Kasprowicz etc is good, but so is Ambrose/Walsh's cast of Bishop, Marshall, K. Benjamin, W. Benjamin, Dillon etc.
    I totally disagree.
    Like i said, up until 94, Ambrose had a better support cast than McGrath has had...but 94-2000, Ambrose's support cast is MUCH inferior.
    You are the only one to call the benjamins, rose, dillon etc. good....they definately are not in the Fleming-Gillespie-Kaspa category.

They are extremely close and both fantastic bowlers, and they are the two best seamers I have watched extensively, but I think McGrath is the better overall bowler by a touch. The one area where Ambrose really scores over him is his ability on a dangerous wicket, where he is one of the best ever.
    agreed completely.

Like i said, Ambrose is better on bowler friendly wickets, McGrath on less bowler friendly wickets...its hard to guage which one of the two is more important.
    Pressing home the advantage is just as important, IMO, as putting up dogged resistance when things dont go your way.

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    I totally disagree.
    Like i said, up until 94, Ambrose had a better support cast than McGrath has had...but 94-2000, Ambrose's support cast is MUCH inferior.
    You are the only one to call the benjamins, rose, dillon etc. good....they definately are not in the Fleming-Gillespie-Kaspa category.
    Yes, agreed that Ambrose had the better cast before 95 and McGrath had the better for the next 5 years, but that is half of Ambrose's career. And while Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Fleming are better than the Benjamins, Rose and Dillon they aren't better than Marshall and Bishop as a pairing, given that Marshall is an all-time great and Bishop averaged 19 until 1995.

East London/West Essex whichever you like
    That point about batsmen succeeding when they through caution to the wind. i once watched a documentary-esque kind of program about the McGrath-Atherton battles. i had this gut feeling that if Athers was a tad more aggressive, he wouldn't have been put to as much shame as he was. Someone else might have watched, it, it was while McGrath was playing for Middlesex and Athers interveiwed him for Channel 4 during the England-WI series. It was like Athers went to defend yet actually, it looked like he just hung his bat out for the edge.
    I hereby declare myself founder and leader of JAAS-James Anderson Appreciation Society

my favourite upcoming players
    AN Cook[Essex], IR Bell[Waricks]

Proud Member of Kevin Pietesen's Appreciation Society.

Glenn McGrath - 30 deliveries - 2 runs - 5 wickets

Bowling O M R W
    Harmison 12.3 8 12 7

Two most destructive pieces of bowling i have ever witnessed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information