Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Never...

The Best Never...

I'm sure that this has probably been discussed before, and apologies for that, but I can't really be bothered digging it up if it does exist.

Hearing a few grade cricketers recently talk about Jamie Siddons, it got me thinking about that age old topic of who is the best player never to play Test (or ODI) cricket. Happy to include those who played less than 5 matches and did little to deserve a demotion, and never got another chance.

Siddons is the one that rings loudest and most true to me, with one ODI in his whole career. Ken Meuleman, grandfather of Scott who currently plays for WA, strikes me as another one to be a bit stiff. One test innings for 0 runs, despite 184 innings @ 47.

Paul Nobes, James Brayshaw, Greg Shippherd, among others all have very good first class records over a long time and never played for their country. Preferably not include those still playing, as that is a bit of a variable.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 29-03-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Stuart Law springs to mind immediatly ( 1 test )

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Technically cheating, but I feel Robert Samuels deserves a small mention.

Representing more of the West Indian contingent...

(Cheating again) Kerry Jeremy. Played 6 ODIs, but should have played Tests too.

And of course... Carl Tuckett. 74 wickets < 20 and a batting average over 30. Not the worst player at all. No Tests.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

i didn't realise robert samuels played so few tests...its not on the cricinfo website, but i thought he was marlon's brother?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I always thought Jimmy Maher was good enough to play test matches, not just 26 ODI's...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    He is. IMO Marlon is the more talented though. Stuart Williams made the bold statement that, after Brian Lara, Marlon Samuels is the best player in the West Indies team. I'm certain he mean "potentially", in which case I tend to agree.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Scott Meuleman plays for WA!
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Richard Sims.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    Scott Meuleman plays for WA!
    woah, i didn't even realise i'd written SA. i think i still had siddons on my mind. apologies. especially considering i was on the aus domestic thread talking about scott meuleman two days ago.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    In some ways I agree about Siddons as he had every shot but against the shot ball he was a bit suspect (especially after having hiw jaw broken by Merv Hughes in Adelaide). I wonder how he would have gone against a full-strength 80's WI side and what I'm thinking is that it wouldn't have been much fun for him.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Whoever said Stuart Law, have to agree there. One Test and didn't get out, so he's left without an average from memory.

seeing tassietiger post got me thinking about someone else...jamie cox. a little bit of out of sight, out of mind being in tassie?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's probably down to non-cricketing reasons that he didn't play a test, but Clive Rice was the first name I thought of.

IIRC he played two or three ODIs for SA when in his early 40s just after their readmission.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

U19 Cricketer
    Boy Brumby's right, Ricey was very good, and he was SA's first captain on readmission.
    Some others who would definitley played Test cricket but missed out because of isolation:
    Vince van der Bijl
    Denys Hobson
    Alan Kourie
    Kevin McKenzie
    Ray Jennings
    Garth le Roux
    Stephen Jeffries
    Rupert Hanley
    Kenny McEwan
    Roy Pienaar
    Henry Fotheringham

C_C
    a lotta saffies would qualify but i wold say best cricketer never to play test cricket is probably Mike Procter ( going by the criteria that the player played very little)...if not him, i would go for Vince Van der Bijl and Garth LeRoux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information