• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Never...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm sure that this has probably been discussed before, and apologies for that, but I can't really be bothered digging it up if it does exist.

Hearing a few grade cricketers recently talk about Jamie Siddons, it got me thinking about that age old topic of who is the best player never to play Test (or ODI) cricket. Happy to include those who played less than 5 matches and did little to deserve a demotion, and never got another chance.

Siddons is the one that rings loudest and most true to me, with one ODI in his whole career. Ken Meuleman, grandfather of Scott who currently plays for WA, strikes me as another one to be a bit stiff. One test innings for 0 runs, despite 184 innings @ 47.

Paul Nobes, James Brayshaw, Greg Shippherd, among others all have very good first class records over a long time and never played for their country. Preferably not include those still playing, as that is a bit of a variable.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Technically cheating, but I feel Robert Samuels deserves a small mention.

Representing more of the West Indian contingent...

(Cheating again) Kerry Jeremy. Played 6 ODIs, but should have played Tests too.

And of course... Carl Tuckett. 74 wickets < 20 and a batting average over 30. Not the worst player at all. No Tests.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i didn't realise robert samuels played so few tests...its not on the cricinfo website, but i thought he was marlon's brother?

Mr Mxyzptlk

He is. IMO Marlon is the more talented though. Stuart Williams made the bold statement that, after Brian Lara, Marlon Samuels is the best player in the West Indies team. I'm certain he mean "potentially", in which case I tend to agree.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mr Casson said:
Scott Meuleman plays for WA!
woah, i didn't even realise i'd written SA. i think i still had siddons on my mind. apologies. especially considering i was on the aus domestic thread talking about scott meuleman two days ago.

Top_Cat

In some ways I agree about Siddons as he had every shot but against the shot ball he was a bit suspect (especially after having hiw jaw broken by Merv Hughes in Adelaide). I wonder how he would have gone against a full-strength 80's WI side and what I'm thinking is that it wouldn't have been much fun for him.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Whoever said Stuart Law, have to agree there. One Test and didn't get out, so he's left without an average from memory.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
seeing tassietiger post got me thinking about someone else...jamie cox. a little bit of out of sight, out of mind being in tassie?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's probably down to non-cricketing reasons that he didn't play a test, but Clive Rice was the first name I thought of.

IIRC he played two or three ODIs for SA when in his early 40s just after their readmission.

Marius

International Debutant
Boy Brumby's right, Ricey was very good, and he was SA's first captain on readmission.
Some others who would definitley played Test cricket but missed out because of isolation:
Vince van der Bijl
Denys Hobson
Alan Kourie
Kevin McKenzie
Ray Jennings
Garth le Roux
Stephen Jeffries
Rupert Hanley
Kenny McEwan
Roy Pienaar
Henry Fotheringham

C_C

International Captain
a lotta saffies would qualify but i wold say best cricketer never to play test cricket is probably Mike Procter ( going by the criteria that the player played very little)...if not him, i would go for Vince Van der Bijl and Garth LeRoux.

Marius

International Debutant
Mike Procter played seven Tests though. His career was shortened through isolation, but you can't say that he never played Test cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Marius said:
Some others who would definitley played Test cricket but missed out because of isolation:
Vince van der Bijl
Denys Hobson
Alan Kourie
Kevin McKenzie
Ray Jennings
Garth le Roux
Stephen Jeffries
Rupert Hanley
Kenny McEwan
Roy Pienaar
Henry Fotheringham
Speaking of Saffies, I guess the best current batter never to have played a test is big Kev Pietersen! Doubtless that will be rectified at the earliest opportunity tho.

Other than KP, I'd say the best other contemporary English qualified player never to have played a test is Ali Brown @ Surrey. Think he's about 34 or 35 now, so his chance has passed, but with over 12000 FC runs at an average of more than 43 he can consider himself unlucky never to have got a go. He got labelled an OD dasher & it stuck.

Going back a bit further another name that struck me (probably 'cos of his twin bro) is Eric Bedser. Admittedly as an offie he'd have got a bit of assistance from our then-uncovered pitches, but 833 FC wickets @ 24.95 is good going. Over 14,000 FC runs @ exactly 24 (10 centuries) shows he could bat too. He's unlucky his career coincided with Lock's & Laker's. All played for Surrey too!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Vintcent Van der Bijl was apparently absolutely bloody terrifying..

From England, I'd say Kim Barnett (unless he has played a bit)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Vintcent Van der Bijl was apparently absolutely bloody terrifying..

From England, I'd say Kim Barnett (unless he has played a bit)
i do think he played a couple of games, but not enough to be discounted from this thead.