• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Vs Dravid Vs Ganguly--Better captain ?-some stats..

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
A very quick at the stats indicate the batting performance of sachin, dravid and ganguly as follows with and without captaincy in test matches.,
Sachin
--------
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50
As captain 25 2054 217 51.35 7 7
Sachin's overall test batting average is 57.25. So as captain his batting average decreased by around 6 runs. Not so bad.Excluding bangladesh matches his batting average as captain is 51.35.So his batting performance is more or less consistent irrespective of opposition.
Dravid
--------
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50
As captain 5 138 33 17.25 0 0
Dravid's overall test batting average is 57.86 . So as captain his batting average decreased drastically by around 40 runs. Massive difference.But the number of matches for him as captain is too less to make some conclusions.Based on limited data we have we can conclude that its going to be a disaster, if dravid captains as his batting suffers as already seen.He hasnt captained against bangladesh, so we really do not know whether he is really going to amass runs as captain against them.
Ganguly
----------
Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50
As captain 47 2444 144 37.03 4 13
Ganguly's overall test batting average is 40.90. So as captain his batting average decreased by around 3 runs. Seems OK.Though he might have bullied bangladesh and zimbabwe and made lot of runs.If we exclude bangladesh his average becomes 34.9 , the difference in this case becoming only 6.Not so bad.I think as same as that of tendulkar's difference, but only tendulkars batting average is much higher.But then again ganguly is not tendulkar.
So based on all the data we can safely conclude that ganguly is able to soak up pressures of captaincy much well, with more wins than tendulkar or dravid. His luck in captaincy has been good, which is needed really to win matches sometimes.Offlate his form has been worrying with bat, but based on statistics above i will conclude that we still need ganguly's leadership for india.He should possibly take rest for few months, sort out his batting problems and come back renewed to take up test captaincy.Statistics say that he can still do it for india..So i think he should be still persisted for atleast 2 test series from now,if he is allowed to play and then a decision can be made about him based on his batting.After all ganguly is a man who has persisted with sehwag,laxman, yuvi, harbie and pathan for india,without which we would have been in deep ****.. :)

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Prince EWS said:
Good captaincy is about much more than keeping your batting average up!
A good captain also has to score runs for his team, and if he doesn't, won't that contribute to your loss? Prime example of this is the finished test series.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unattainableguy said:
A good captain also has to score runs for his team, and if he doesn't, won't that contribute to your loss? Prime example of this is the finished test series.
I agree, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that the ONLY criteria for a good captain is the different between their batting averages while captain and while not captain...

Send me out there in a test match, and I guarentee you my batting average wont change much from being captain to not being captain, as I'd be lucky to average 2...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
I agree, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that the ONLY criteria for a good captain is the different between their batting averages while captain and while not captain...

Send me out there in a test match, and I guarentee you my batting average wont change much from being captain to not being captain, as I'd be lucky to average 2...
And the difference between 2 and 0 is very small so you are certainly least affected by the pressures of captaincy.

Kidding :D

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
i still iterate that ganguly is ok and we have to persis with him just as england is persisting with vaughan.. :D :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
my main problem with ganguly is that he probably shouldn't make the side anyway. yuo should pick your side before your captain not the other way round

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
age_master said:
my main problem with ganguly is that he probably shouldn't make the side anyway. yuo should pick your side before your captain not the other way round
Thats a typical australian way.But looks like we have to opt for english way.That is, pick a captain before you choose your team.even vaughan's plight is same as ganguly.His test batting average as captain is poor, but still the team wins mate and he is there becos of that.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol so ganguly plays and is captain so Tendulkar and Dravid dont have as much pressure on them so they can score more runs...

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
age_master said:
lol so ganguly plays and is captain so Tendulkar and Dravid dont have as much pressure on them so they can score more runs...
two solutions are there for this problem.A) To give rest for ganguly for 2 months or so, so that he can sort out his technical problems B) Make a call about the keeping ganguly in team or not after 2 more series.His batting cant get any worse than this and iam confident he can get back to form in next series or so ( as the bowling attacks will be mediocre).