• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia..The greatest sporting team to visit New Zealand???

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sports talkback host Murray Deaker raised this question recently on his TV show as to whether this Aussie cricket team was the greatest sporting team to come to our shores.
Intially i thought this was an overeaction to the hiding NZ got in the series. I then started thinking about a better sporting side to visit NZ. I was thinking of Rugby teams (lions, wales in the 70s ), great aussie League sides of the 80s and 90s, the odd soccer team and other cricket teams.

I couldn't really think of a better team that has come to NZ.

Any thoughts ??

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rugby and particulary League dont really rate in my book ....not global enough. I'll ignore great Australian netball teams for the same reason

The great 80's WI side toured NZ...they were better than the current Aussie side imo

Heaps of really good football teams have been to NZ....none quite that dominated the world stage the way Aus cricket do atm , but we all know how much harder that is to acheive. Hell the self proclaimed "greatest sporting nation" .............with all their ex-pat wogs ..............cannot even make the Football World Cup finals without arsing over to "Iran" (or whoever)

Some great golfers came to Gulf Harbour for the World Cup? Technically they are teams

There must have been some all conquering Hockey team here? Devlin might be the consumate train spotter for rugby but he knows jack about many sports

Still its not a bad call by Devs really..............miss him SO much on Radio Sport in the mornings :cry:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Maestro said:
Rugby and particulary League dont really rate in my book ....not global enough. I'll ignore great Australian netball teams for the same reason

The great 80's WI side toured NZ...they were better than the current Aussie side imo

Heaps of really good football teams have been to NZ....none quite that dominated the world stage the way Aus cricket do atm , but we all know how much harder that is to acheive. Hell the self proclaimed "greatest sporting nation" .............with all their ex-pat wogs ..............cannot even make the Football World Cup finals without arsing over to "Iran" (or whoever)

Some great golfers came to Gulf Harbour for the World Cup? Technically they are teams

There must have been some all conquering Hockey team here? Devlin might be the consumate train spotter for rugby but he knows jack about many sports

Still its not a bad call by Devs really..............miss him SO much on Radio Sport in the mornings :cry:

Agreed. I much preferred Devlin to that wet blanket Tony Viech. But it was Deaker that made the above observation, not Devlin

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
OH!

sorry lol Devlin on the brain cos we discussing him vs Veitch here at work just this morning

Deaker is an idiot, almost as bad as the fool Doug Golighty with his arrogant drawlings, so yeah that sounds more like some preposterous call he would make

psxpro

Banned
Easily the best sports team to come to nz.
Maestro, Rugby is more global than cricket so I don't know what you are tlaking about.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i would say they are probably the best, in which case England will be in for the same treatment :p

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
Easily the best sports team to come to nz.
Maestro, Rugby is more global than cricket so I don't know what you are tlaking about.

in terms of numbers? india?

Deja moo

International Captain
age_master said:
in terms of numbers? india?

Its not just numbers too. Any country could put up a cricket team. Its just that Cricket sets higher standards than most other sports for newer teams to make the highest grade IMO ( Zim and Ban notwithstanding).

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
in my life time definately. Australia's cricket side is possibly the best sporting side on the planet out've any sport at the moment. America have gone down hill in basketball... I'd be interested to hear any other countries which dominate a sport so much... Maybe the Australian rugby league team.

psxpro

Banned
The Maestro said:
psxpro

Dont be fooled just cos "Kenya" has a rugby team

no I'm not going by that. Global doesn't mean numbers, it means more countries. Obiously cricket has more numbers becasue of one or two countires with huge population.

But overall rugby is more popular and well known world wide and generally more competitive.

Blaze

Banned
Na the Aussie league team is pretty average these days.. in the mid to late nintees they were formidable but these days they aren't that dominent

They still win the maourity of their matches but they can be beaten

psxpro

Banned
Blaze said:
Na the Aussie league team is pretty average these days.. in the mid to late nintees they were formidable but these days they aren't that dominent

They still win the maourity of their matches but they can be beaten

I agree about the aus league team. NZ drew 17/17 with them in NZ. and beat them in nz before that. Its just that the comps took all our players or we are a lot closer than what people think in league.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
You might be right..I cant be bothered lookig for stats tho

I guess my interpretation of it is slanted cos Icompare rugby to football (no contest) and cricket to baseball/softball

psxpro

Banned
The Maestro said:
You might be right..I cant be bothered lookig for stats tho

I guess my interpretation of it is slanted cos Icompare rugby to football (no contest) and cricket to baseball/softball

Soccer is a crap comparision becasue lots of people are crap and they like soccer.
but rugby i think overall is more populart han cricket

C_C

International Captain
Dunno about other sports...but in cricket,its probably the west indies of the late 70s/80s would rank higher.

C_C

International Captain
age_master said:
to you maybe
And arnt we talking opinions in the first place ? or is team A > team B in this case a fact of nature, validated by the heavens ?
8-) 8-)