• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia..The greatest sporting team to visit New Zealand???

C_C

International Captain
age_master said:
back it up :p

weve had this discussion before and you had nothing :p

And neither did you :D

there are other places in the world than india
You are entitled to your opinion but the way i see it, i rate a team first and foremost based on their overall competitiveness and not 'in this country or in that situation' scenarios.

In short, I consider the OZ to be the best team in the last 10 years. Therefore, whether they were most successful or not in IND, they still are the best team to visit IND.
Similarly, i consider the WI to be the best team since 75 till 95 or so. Therefore, whether they were omst successful in NZ or not, they were the best team of their era to visit NZ.
And since i consider the WI of that era superior to the OZ currently, i think that the WI team of that era is the best team to EVER visit the kiwi shores as far as cricket goes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think a case could be made for John Dawes's 1971 British Lions as the greatest sporting team ever to visit the land of the long white cloud. The only time a Lions touring side has ever bested the ABs in 100 years of tours.

They were based around the magnificent Welsh side of the 70s, with a set of backs that must be close to being unparalleled. The names still have resonance today: Gareth Edwards, Barry John, JPR Williams, Gerald Davies & John Dawes. Add England's David Duckham & Ireland's Mike Gibson to the mix & that is a seriously good backline.

It's very tricky to compare across sports & years, but with all respect to the recently completed series between The Black Caps & the Aussies I doubt it will be remembered so vividly.

Of course other factors have to be considered, not least the rarity of Lions tours & the comparative surfeit of cricket tests nowadays, but, rightly or wrongly, the All Blacks are still considered the gold-standard in Union. Ironically this is in part due to The Lions scant success down there; when the Springboks have played the ABs they have historically had the edge in terms of results, but because the Lions have beaten them with more regularity (well 4 times) the perception in the NH is that the ABs are the bigger ask.

This may've been better posted in OT, but hard not to mention Union when talking about sporting teams in NZ! :)

psxpro

Banned
C_C said:
Dunno about other sports...but in cricket,its probably the west indies of the late 70s/80s would rank higher.

The current Aussie team is much better than any cricket tram in history imo.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
psxpro said:
The current Aussie team is much better than any cricket tram in history imo.
intresting, but do you have any knowledge of the great west indian sides from the mid 20th century ? i would say it is near impossible to define and compare the current aussie side to these WI greats

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
what are u trying to say sledger... one can look at the statistics and make a pretty reasonable assumption as to who they think are better... and if this guy like so many others thinks that the Aussies are the greatest... so be it..