• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Ashes hopes vs Australia's sure Ashes chances

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
welllllllll, if one was to look how dominat Australia have been in test this season and how iffy my English boys played in South Africa but still won :D, people would think well another ashes drubbing for the poms, but i for one dont think so, but surely its goin to be extremely though for England. The key to that series will be how england handle that fantastic Australian Bowling act, if they do well which in my view is going to be so hard, they will stand a good chance because the england bowlers have been doing excellently has a group in the last year and i feel they could challenge the aussie batsmen on a given day in the series. But looking at australia's Batmen Langer has been is good for this season while MATT ``the big bat`` will start the series without a century in year and of recent he has really gone off the boil, i wont say the lad is out of form but he is getting starts but not goin on, for my beloved Englishmen that must continue, in the middle order Ponting & Martyn are the form Batsmen, Martyn for one is in the Form of his life, Katich looks to be a good steady batsman while ``WONDER BOY``, Micheal Clarke hasn't really pressed on sice his phenominal debut series in India and Home ton againts the Kiwis for me its all happened so fast him he just need time to settle but i wont underestimate the lad he surely has a huge future & huge potential & England should & wont underestimate him. While ``Agent #7`` Gilchrist will always be a treat.
The minor battle will come from aussie bats vs the Poms bolwers.

But has i wrote earlier the ashes battle is England's Batsmen vs Australia's Bowlers.

ALL who dont have tickets should be gutted

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I recognise you're enthusiasm but do we really need another thread at this moment in time?

Anyway 4-0 Australia for me

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

superkingdave said:
I recognise you're enthusiasm but do we really need another thread at this moment in time?

Anyway 4-0 Australia for me
its up to u mate

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
4-0 sounds reasonable, with rain saving england in the other match. there's no way they'll win more tests than us, unless they win the first and the other 4 are washed out.

Swervy

International Captain
3-2 to Australia seems to flash up in my mind whenever I think of how the Ashes will go..I dont know why.

Next most likely result for me would be 3-1 Australia.

But who knows...England might get 1-0 up and it might **** it down the rest of the summer

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

thier is one sure thing whenevr australia loses the ashes, that will be a sure sign that the aussies are declining, but if i am to be honest dont that will happen this time, i would say england have a better chance when they go down under in 2006 before the World Cup

Swervy

International Captain
aussie said:
thier is one sure thing whenevr australia loses the ashes, that will be a sure sign that the aussies are declining, but if i am to be honest dont that will happen this time, i would say england have a better chance when they go down under in 2006 before the World Cup
nah..England have no chance in Australia..if England are going to do it before the world cup, its right now

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I definitely think England will get at least one test but I don't think they're quite good enough to win the whole series, I'd say 3-2 or 3-1 to the Aussies.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Swervy said:
nah..England have no chance in Australia..if England are going to do it before the world cup, its right now
well has i just said i dont htink they can win it this time, i saw in 2006 cause well england wont have too much of a different team when they go down under, while maybe Australia might have a few changes in places like the opening slot durng that series Langer will be a 36 and maybe names like Hussey & Jaques could come into the equation if also Hayden starts failing. Probably also the legends McGrath & Warne might not be their but looking at Glenn's fitness & performacnes of sice his return he will be in that series.

Langeveldt

Soutie
aussie said:
ALL who dont have tickets should be gutted
Nah, if I wanted to watch a slaughter, I'd go and rent Pearl Harbour..

I hope everyone who does go to any matches wears black armbands?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd say it's a fair bet we'll take at least one test off The Crims, it's a long while since we haven't won at least one.

The sad fact is tho that we've only won one live test since 86/87 when the urn was still at stake. I'm hoping we can at least double that total this year (to 2 live wins overall, not 2 live wins in the series, think that's altogether too optimistic).

3-1 to the Aussies sounds about right.

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:

why..should we be mourning the disapearance of a decent South African team or something :D :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Langeveldt said:

hehehehe, ur funny mate

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Swervy said:
i wouldnt be so sure, by the time the ashes in australia come around a lot of englands team will be reaching or at their very peak, where as australia will be at there best, it could well be a golden opportunity for england to take back the ashes, michael vaughn seems to see it that way anyway.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
In your post Aussie, you seem to be talking more about the Aussies, so i am taking it upon myself to talk about our men.
At the top, we have Trescothick and Strauss, who have exceeded all expectation of recent, who would have thought Strauss would start with such a blast and nobody honestly expected Tres to conquer his Saffie demons. These two showed that they are solid in their patnerships so far and as both go into the series in decent touch, they could be a force to reckon with. The middle order is not very settled at the moment with Key, Butcher, Bell and maybe even Pietersen vying fo the one available spot. Key seems to be in possesion at the moment, but if Butcher is fit, selectors will almost definitely go with hm for experience and past success against Aus. The most sensible choice seems to be bell as he is the one who looks like he has the technique and temperament to defy the mighty Aus attack. Pietersen on the other hand definitely didn't do his chances no harm by his exploits in the ODIs. Vaughan will most definitely be a marked man after the havoc he wrecked last time out against Aus. Thorpe , i don't know what is gonna happen with him [after an indifferent series against SA] but he carries alot of England's hopes on his shoulders as he is our resident grinder and tough guy. Flintoff and Jones are going to be important men in creating an England total and how well they fair will determine whether the toatl is going to be ''alright'' or ''decent''.

Having said that, i feel the main battle in this series is going to be between our bowler and the Aus batsmen. I beleive that Hoggy, Freddie and Gilo are going to hold their own all the way through the series and it is going to be tough for the Aussies, but if Harmy hits the straps early on and continues throughout, i dare say the Aus bowlers are not going to have much to bowl at.

ATM i feel England will win atleast one match but the Aus confidence will probably pull them through. say 2-1 to Aus[IMO ATM] that opinion could well change by the time of the series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well sppedking agreed on most points except two i dont think Bell is the best option his technique is pretty sound but i dont know if the lad is capable of handling Glenn and his mates with any degree of certainty, i know a lot of people are getting ****er hoop over KP performances, but i dont think he should be exposed & if he fails then people will talk down on him, but he will definety be in the middle order pretty soon since the ahses will most likely be thorpe last series. The best option for me is Butcher his past encounters with them will be so crucial to England.

I dont hink the main battle will be between Eng bowlers & AUS batsmen mate, the main one is ENG bats vs AUS magnificent bowlers, because its going to be though for our bowlers to hold the aussies down but if our bats can somehow negate the treat of the australian attack it will put pressure on their batsmen & that would give england a real chance, but we have to be honest mate i dont think england can win it this time

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

sledger said:
i wouldnt be so sure, by the time the ashes in australia come around a lot of englands team will be reaching or at their very peak, where as australia will be at there best, it could well be a golden opportunity for england to take back the ashes, michael vaughn seems to see it that way anyway.
yep right on mate, thats was my point, england wont have too much of a different side only thorpe might not be their while for australia we could probably see a change in the top order and the the Legendary McGrath & Warne will be great old stagers then, i think ashes down under could be extremely exciting & I for one think england have a better chance then than this time.

psxpro

Banned
"Having said that, i feel the main battle in this series is going to be between our bowler and the Aus batsmen. I beleive that Hoggy, Freddie and Gilo are going to hold their own all the way through the series and it is going to be tough for the Aussies, but if Harmy hits the straps early on and continues throughout, i dare say the Aus bowlers are not going to have much to bowl at."

I Disagree, I think ponting, Martn and Gilchrist will eat the english bowlers for breakfast. They aren;t that good, even when harmoinson was in form nz hit scores of 400 in the first innings without batting well. Australia will get much more plus they will score heaps in the 2nd innings too

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
If Austrailia pick up a couple of injuries and England play at their very best then they do have a chance they will need freddy on song and vaughan and Harmison back to their best if all this happens then england have a good chance. It is a long shot but not out of the question