Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    No, they would not.

That would leave a tail starting at 7.

and we would still have a better batting lineup than England
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    How did you come to the conclusion that Vaughan is a better player than Langer, all the stats point in the other direction.
    its just a belief, considering that
    - vaughan performed so admirably last time that he faced the best going around.
    - its an average of 44 for vaughan to 46 for langer, so it isn't that great a discrepancy.
    - before vaughan was captain, he was averaging 51 in 30 tests.
    - and personally, i believe that vaughan is technically more proficient than langer and better equipped to handle the best bowling. i think the lack of quality openers who swing the ball has allowed langer to open as successfully as he has, coupled with the dominating presence of hayden at the other end. wouldn't be suprised if hoggard has him for breakfast in the ashes, though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    nah Katich is underrated i would take him over the all rounder (Australia doesn't really need one) Langer is better than Strauss and he bats well with hayden. Waughan? really an opener, but where could you bat him? 5 or 6 i dont think he would do as well down there....
    Nah mate, you missed the point. The point isn't to say 'who's better than the other?'. The question was asked, which of the English players would make an Aussie Test team and all I was saying is that they have a few. I personally would pick Katich too, I don't see how you can say whp's better out of Strauss/Langer (Langer has beena great player for Australia for a few years now but to compare Strauss at such an early stage in his career is unfair on him. Again, personally, I'd still pick Langer). Vaughan is as good a player as any of the Aussies (with Ponting possibly just edging him out in the pure destruction stakes).
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    - its an average of 44 for vaughan to 46 for langer, so it isn't that great a discrepancy.
    - and personally, i believe that vaughan is technically more proficient than langer and better equipped to handle the best bowling. i think the lack of quality openers who swing the ball has allowed langer to open as successfully as he has, coupled with the dominating presence of hayden at the other end. wouldn't be suprised if hoggard has him for breakfast in the ashes, though.
    Langer has far more centuries, fifties and catches per match than Vaughan and has performed over a longer period than Vaughan, Langer has faced the same lack of quality openers who swing the ball as Vaughan and came out better.

Langer has faced the same lack of quality openers who swing the ball as Vaughan and came out better
    well, as an opener, vaughan has an average of 49 over 31 matches.

Put it this way.....I'd much rather have Langer bat for my life than Vaughan.

Langer has far more centuries, fifties and catches per match than Vaughan
    - the futility of the catches per match statistic is further enhanced by the fact that there is .05 catches per match between the two.
    - vaughan has a better conversion rate than langer.
    - its just a personal opinion, one which can not be unequivocally be dismissed through statistics.
    - and overall its a bit like a giles versus vettori argument. do you take someone who has performed reasonably against all teams, or the one who has performed optimally against the best in the world? for me, i take vettori and vaughan.

well, as an opener, vaughan has an average of 49 over 31 matches.
    As an opener, Langer has an average of 51.58 from 83 innings

Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    As an opener, Langer has an average of 51.58 from 83 innings
    haha. i'll cop that. should have bothered to find out what langers stat was before using vaughans. ah well, can't change old habits, i.e. laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    Put it this way.....I'd much rather have Langer bat for my life than Vaughan.
    Can understand why your saying that, and why many other people would too. I'm not professing to being completely right, I may well be quite the opposite, however, AFAIC its a comparison between two pretty even players, and i think its not unreasonable for me to believe that Vaughan is the better of the two.

There are so many arguments that both of us could use, (e.g. batsman friendly conditions in australia/well then vaughans effort in australia isn't that grand/but vaughan is captaining his country...etc.) and it could turn into a TEC-Richard thread, but nothing will be achieved out of it.

haha. i'll cop that. should have bothered to find out what langers stat was before using vaughans. ah well, can't change old habits, i.e. laziness.

Can understand why your saying that, and why many other people would too. I'm not professing to being completely right, I may well be quite the opposite, however, AFAIC its a comparison between two pretty even players, and i think its not unreasonable for me to believe that Vaughan is the better of the two.

There are so many arguments that both of us could use, (e.g. batsman friendly conditions in australia/well then vaughans effort in australia isn't that grand/but vaughan is captaining his country...etc.) and it could turn into a TEC-Richard thread, but nothing will be achieved out of it.
    fair enough that you have that view...Your right that its not totally clear that Langer is a far better player and i definately think Vaughan is more elegant to watch. But the main reason I'd take Langer is that he seem to sell his wicket for a much higher price thus is more dependable

U19 Vice-Captain
    I think a combined side would be something like
    1.Strauss
    2.Langer (unless vaughan on the form he showed a couple of years ago)
    3.Ponting
    4.Martyn
    5.Thorpe
    6.Flintoff
    7.Gilchrist
    8.Warne
    9.Gillespie
    10.Harmisson (if on form)
    11.Mcgrath
    This shows the obvious that Australia on paper are comtorbly better than England

The three players that put a big gap between the two sides are Gilchrist,Mcgrath and Warne. if even one of these 3 are injured it gives England a chance. When Australia were without mcgath and warne agaisnt India they could only manage a draw. Although India batting line up was stronger than Englands they do have home advantage and a better bowling atack then India. If Australia are not full strength then they are not invincible and England have a resonable chance.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    and we would still have a better batting lineup than England

I would debate that if you had any of the 5 coming in at 7.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    fair enough that you have that view...Your right that its not totally clear that Langer is a far better player and i definately think Vaughan is more elegant to watch. But the main reason I'd take Langer is that he seem to sell his wicket for a much higher price thus is more dependable
    that is spot on..I think Vaughan has the ability to be amongst the very best in the world, but it beggers belief sometimes the way he throws his wicket away early on
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    The schedule is very bare though.

In the 5 months up to the Ashes, we have 2 games with Bangladesh.

If anything I think it's not enough.
    so when is ashes in Aug-Sep
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    The schedule is very bare though.

In the 5 months up to the Ashes, we have 2 games with Bangladesh.

If anything I think it's not enough.
    and if iam correct Aus doesnt play any test before that .that what i heard yesterday smith say that McGrath will arrive in England on 499

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information