• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What players have been caught "cheating"?

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
chuckers aside........

What was that Australian wicket keepers name who dropped Andrew Jones down the legside and then picked up to ball off the turf and claimed he had caught it? :mad: wtf?

Dyer ...cant remember his 1st name :thumbdown

To the australian selectors credit I believe he was dropped for ever not long after....you reap what you sow though, aye boys

hmmmmm who else?

Atherton had a conviction for ball tampering/dirt in the pocket I think?

The sub continent players have a reputation for ball tampering but no real convictions?

and then theres Hansie of course...........

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
psxpro said:
Claiming a catch isn't cheating.
Its the umpires decison, you do what you can to get people out.

When you blatently drop it and then claim the catch it is cheating.

It is different if the fielder is unsure whether he has caught it.

Obviously the underarm incident springs immediatly to mind but also in that same match Greg Chappel was caught in the deep by Martin Snedon but the catch wasn't given out because both umpires claimed they were watching the batsman run between the wickets

Duncan

U19 Debutant
The way I see it is that if you are unsure of it being out or not... and claim it as a catch... it's not really cheating..it's up to the umpire to give it out. But it is bad character.
But it is cheating to claim a catch when you know it's not out.
I remember when Rashid Latif claimed a catch against Bangladesh and was banned for it, and ultimately kicked off the team.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure claiming a catch is cheating personally. If it is, appealing when you don't really think it's out is cheating too, which is a bit broad. I do remember one astonishing incident though.

In a one day match where Bevan went on to play a famous innings where he hit a four off the last ball to win the game, he hit a tough caught and bowled chance back to Roger Harper, who dived forward with his body between the ball and the umpire, dropped the ball, picked it up off the ground and claimed it. This was blatantly obvious that he didn't catch it to the batsman, who had a clear line of sight to the ball and refused to leave, and it was sent to third umpire and the decision was reversed. It just stuck in my mind because of how absolutely obvious it was that he didn't catch it, and how weird it was that he thought he would get away with it.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
The underarm was not cheating because it was within the rules of the game

Its still the most underhand gutless thing I have ever seen in any sport 8-) (barring straight thuggin)

But Im sure theres a huge thread buried here dedicated to that

The Sneddon catch? What player cheated there? Dont think that one applies either

psxpro

Banned
How is that cheating if not walking isnt cheating.
If the umpires arent good enough to give decisions then too bad, you do what you can.
I would always say I caught it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not sure claiming a catch is cheating personally. If it is, appealing when you don't really think it's out is cheating too, which is a bit broad. I do remember one astonishing incident though.

In a one day match where Bevan went on to play a famous innings where he hit a four off the last ball to win the game, he hit a tough caught and bowled chance back to Roger Harper, who dived forward with his body between the ball and the umpire, dropped the ball, picked it up off the ground and claimed it. This was blatantly obvious that he didn't catch it to the batsman, who had a clear line of sight to the ball and refused to leave, and it was sent to third umpire and the decision was reversed. It just stuck in my mind because of how absolutely obvious it was that he didn't catch it, and how weird it was that he thought he would get away with it.
Yep, I remember this one well. Perhaps the worst example I've ever seen. But if that isn't cheating, it must be near impossible for players to cheat during a game. IMO, there has to be a difference between appealing where there's substantial doubt, or even frivolously appealing in the hope that the umpire will judge in your favor, and overtly deceiving the umpire with absolute awareness, like Harper did.

It's one of those difficult things to define, but I think I can take a stab at why I think it's worse. Somebody who appeals for something they don't think is really out isn't abusing the trust of the umpire in the same manner that a player who in full knowledge doesn't take a catch but claims they have.

This doesn't apply to all questionable catches - I genuinely believe that often, players can't be sure if they've made a catch when it's low and forward, and may honestly think they have when they haven't. But Harper's catch doesn't fall into that category.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Pringle admitted to ball-tampering...bottle top I think? Not sure.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
he plays in holland too i think :P
uhm..in holland we have a big U18 throphy (flamingo tournament) and it looked like the keeper missed the ball and 2 guys started running after a ball keeper had the ball in his hands stumped the batsman..and did he got mad! twas really funny :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There was the stumping Ridley Jacobs claimed without the ball in his hand. I think he was punished and served a ban for cheating.

psxpro

Banned
So why wasn't steve waugh not suspened for not walking in 2001 in perth vs vettori?
Its not cheating!!!!!
its the same as not walking.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
psxpro said:
So why wasn't steve waugh not suspened for not walking in 2001 in perth vs vettori?
Its not cheating!!!!!
its the same as not walking.
You need to learn the difference between active and passive deception.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Duncan said:
But it is cheating to claim a catch when you know it's not out.
And it's also cheating to stand your ground when you know you're out, but no-one ever makes a fuss about that one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
You need to learn the difference between active and passive deception.
Any deception is active, as we've already done.
Not votunteering the truth is no better than lying.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Maestro said:
The underarm was not cheating because it was within the rules of the game

Its still the most underhand gutless thing I have ever seen in any sport 8-) (barring straight thuggin)
No, it wasn't, it was an attempt to bring the many many injustices of the time to light.