Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ashes won't be close

Banned

The Ashes won't be close

First of all I'm not an Aussie so there will be no bias here. But I will be supporting Australia in the Ashes. Becasue I just don't like English sports teams.

Theres been a lot of talk about this being a great potential series but I think people are getting carried away. England are definetly Number 2 at the moment, they have proven they are a very good test team. BUT Australia are still so far ahead imo.
    For me a its a very good teams vs a Legendary team and Australia will be too good as usual.

What I think the Aussies will do

1: Ponting will score a lot of runs
    2: Gilchrist willt ake games away from England
    3: Martyn will score plenty
    4: Katich will be hard to remove
    5: Mgrath will we awesome again
    6: Gillespie and kasper will be consistant as usual
    7: Warne will Be too good and never let england settle
    8: The openers will do the job most of the time, but I can see England getting early wickets at times, more so removing hayden, who isnt looking as good anymore.

Why England will struggle

1: Spinner isn't good enough, Giles won't trouble Australia
    2: Their batting is good but against the aussies I think they might struggle
    3: Might rely too much on a new player like strauss, even though hes been magnificent, playing Australia in tests is something else.
    4: They will probably struggle vs warne

I don't think it will even be that close. England may win a test but probably after its too late. The ones they lose could be big losses.

And I hope it is that way too.

I think the only way that this series will be remotly close is if England take the game to the Aussies.

First test at Lords they have to bat first and bat like NZ batted today. The only weakness I saw at all from this Australian team over the last month or so is that when they are put under pressure they tend to struggle. When the aussie bowlers were getting hit for 8-10 runs an over they started bowling all over the show. Even McGrath couldn't keep the ball on a consistant good length.

When you attack them you have a greater chance of success. They key is to show the intent early on and see how the Aussies respond because lets face it Australia don't get put under many pressure situations so they aren't used to it as much.

England should aim to be 150-2 at lunch on the first day IMO.

Still in saying all this I think Aus will win and win comfortably

U19 Debutant
    I want England to win and that's solely because it's getting boring to see Australia win match after match. IMO, they are the only team that has a chance of beating the Aussies. But then again, I don't think it will happen, Australia is in a brutal mood and will pounce on any weak element of England's team.

Banned
    Blaze I agree about the attacking thing. England will have to try to bat the way Astle, Vincent and Vettori batted today. But the real problem vs Aus in doing this is Shane Warne, I don't see how england can counter attack against him.

Quote Originally Posted by psxpro
    Blaze I agree about the attacking thing. England will have to try to bat the way Astle, Vincent and Vettori batted today. But the real problem vs Aus in doing this is Shane Warne, I don't see how england can counter attack against him.
    Yea but he is not likely to bowl inside the first hour is he so England could be 75-1 or 2 and be feeling confident and that would help them deal with Warne.

Or they could just block Warne out and attack the bowler from the other end.

Banned
    I still Think Aus will be too good though, I've heard too many english people get too excited. Overhyping it as usual.
    They aren't in the same class as Aus.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    First of all I'm not an Aussie so there will be no bias here. But I will be supporting Australia in the Ashes. Becasue I just don't like English sports teams.
    The second part of that negates the first part.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

U19 12th Man
    The 'attack Aus early' theory runs into a serious problem in the shape of one G. McGrath. There is a good reason he regularly returns figures that are so phenominal in their economy.

One reason the aus attack is so good is that all 4 bowlers are very good at keeping things tight, and they're all very experienced players, so knocking them off their line wont be easy.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    The second part of that negates the first part.
    Agreed. Bias for a team is little different to bias against their opponents.

vvk
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I believe the only way to beat this current Australian side is with spin, and therefore the only way I see Australia losing at the moment is against an Indian side in India - on a dustbowl, with 3 quality spinners bowling to them.

I think the Australian batting line-up, against an England attack with an out-of-form Harmison and an unproven Simon Jones will regularly post first innings totals in exess of 450-500.

I also feel England will struggle to match the Austrlian batting unless - Peterson is brought in, and Bell is brought in. I don't see the likes of Butcher and Robert Key troubling McGrath and Co.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Despite the fact that Butcher is one of the few players who actually has troubled them in the last 5 or 6 years?
    As you see
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

1: Spinner isn't good enough, Giles won't trouble Australia
    It all depends - he'll cause all sorts of problems if we have pitches like these, but given that that's unlikely, no, he won't trouble them, because fingerspinners never do on normal English pitches.
    But given how many of the Australian batsmen have clear weaknesses against the turning ball, he'll knock them over plenty on a turning pitch.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Australia won't lose a Test unless England hold them to the fifth day, and have Aus bat last on an uneven wicket. Giles will have a lot of responsibility for England in this series.

England also have a good chance if they deliberately play slowly - that way Australia back themselves to score faster in what time they have left and lose wickets by the bucketload. This tactic worked perfectly during the Sydney Test in 2002-3, when Butcher and Hussain ate up time in their first innings. Teams that have tried to "fight fire with fire" (e.g. South Africa and Pakistan) have been crushed.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 29-03-2005 at 04:23 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by telsor
    The 'attack Aus early' theory runs into a serious problem in the shape of one G. McGrath. There is a good reason he regularly returns figures that are so phenominal in their economy.

One reason the aus attack is so good is that all 4 bowlers are very good at keeping things tight, and they're all very experienced players, so knocking them off their line wont be easy.
    Knocking McGrath off his line is virtually impossible and so it's wholly stupid to try, it'll more than likely result in being 50-4 at Lunch.
    Knocking Gillespie and Kasprowicz off their line is easier, but it's still not a strategy you'd be wise to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    I think the only way that this series will be remotly close is if England take the game to the Aussies.

First test at Lords they have to bat first and bat like NZ batted today. The only weakness I saw at all from this Australian team over the last month or so is that when they are put under pressure they tend to struggle. When the aussie bowlers were getting hit for 8-10 runs an over they started bowling all over the show. Even McGrath couldn't keep the ball on a consistant good length.

When you attack them you have a greater chance of success. They key is to show the intent early on and see how the Aussies respond because lets face it Australia don't get put under many pressure situations so they aren't used to it as much.

England should aim to be 150-2 at lunch on the first day IMO.

Still in saying all this I think Aus will win and win comfortably
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Yea but he is not likely to bowl inside the first hour is he so England could be 75-1 or 2 and be feeling confident and that would help them deal with Warne.

Or they could just block Warne out and attack the bowler from the other end.
    If you go for all-out attack, especially if the pitch has something in it for the seamers, you're simply committing cricketing suicide.
    McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz are difficult enough on a seamer if you're trying to block them; if you go after them it's close enough to impossible.
    What I can see, of course, is the situation where England win the toss, the pitch will clearly offer a bit, but everyone wants to avoid a repeat of The 'Gabba 2002\03, where Hussain made the right decision and got pilloried for it.
    I'm pretty sure England will bat first come what may, because if Australia win the toss they'll have the confidence to stick us in, and if the pitch has something in it they will almost beyond question run into trouble, because McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz don't often waste a seaming pitch.
    Cricket can be an infuriatingly predictable game.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information