• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes won't be close

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Honestly, I'm not bitter. I'm a huge admirer of the Australian cricket team and their will to win, and how they go about it on the field. It's the pathetic arrogance of some of their more vocal and immature supporters I find difficiult to deal with. As you so rightly imply, we come from different generations.

The 'brain' bit was meant to be a joke. Perhaps your sense of humour was removed too.
You get that with all supporters though. In some cases it grates more because they are Aussie supporters, in others it's annoying when you hear it from the English - depends on who you yourself support really I guess.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
1. I cannot think of a more derogatory term than 'Australian'
2. Cameel is new to CW and doesn't understand that I have a sense of humour which is appreciated by some (yes, even some Australians). He quite naturally thought that I have a downer on you bread-stealers and sheep-rustlers, but he now knows different.
3. Your wisecrack was very much appreciated - it was quite good for you. No, really, it was. It reflects your new, mature attitude. Much better than your usual pulling the legs off spiders (please, please try it with a funnel-web).
4. In order for me to make a civil reply, I would have to BE civil. This, clearly, is impossible.
5. Please show me where I was being abusive - and don't come back with the fact that I insulted your nation. Come on. You haven't apologised to the world for Gough Whitlam OR Kylie Minogue yet.
6. My God - I just referred to 'your nation'. That's akin to awarding it a state of legitimacy. Naturally, I meant 'Penal colony'.
7. You're an amateur
haha, just on number 5: We'll apologise when you guys do the same for the Spice Girls, Atomic Kitten, Gareth Gates, Will whateverhisnameis, Jordan (a.k.a the slapper of the last two centuries - took our Peter Andre and corrupted him too!), any band that has tried and miserably failed to be the Beatles in the last 20 years, Margaret Thatcher, Brits going to foreign countries on package tours...etc etc

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
That too.

I'll come back to those appearances in the Barry McKenzie films - Gough was great, and it'll be a long time before you see his like again. It's no coincidence that Whitlam made cameo appearances in 2 of the 3 Australian cinematic iconic moments of all time (the other being Yahoo Serious's true-to-life portrait of Einstein).

It's a little-known fact, though, that one night in 1957, Whitlam went out for a few beers with famous architect Jorn Utzon and got caught short after a kebab.

It was Gough Whitlam's hemorrhoids which gave Utzon the seeds of an idea which eventually became the design of the Sydney Opera House.

Anyone else you'd like insulting?
Well there you go! This brings to mind a tale about Gough's nemesis and fellow Australian Prime Minister, Malcolm Fraser. Reportedly, soon after he was thumped by Bob "I can scull a yard-glass in 8 seconds" Hawke, he went on a trip to the United States, and one evening after a drinking session awoke in his hotel room without his money, keys, identification or, in fact, his pants.

We have some wonderful public representatives here, I tell you.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Son Of Coco said:
You get that with all supporters though. In some cases it grates more because they are Aussie supporters, in others it's annoying when you hear it from the English - depends on who you yourself support really I guess.

Australians are probably worse than most though, mostly because winning consistantly over a long period gives some supporters a certain attitude which puts other teams supporters on edge ( you'll find this is true in most sports ). That said, other teams supporters are always looking out for it and take 'offense' more easily, so there is a kind of circularity to the argument.

The only other particularly bad supporters are the Indians ( I am, of course only refering to only the bad individuals here, they also have excellent supporters ), which is pure numbers both in the sense that if 1% of Indians are crazy/bad thats a lot more significant than even 10% of Australian supporters and there is also the confidence so many voices in agreement gives them.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed, though if one of Strauss or Tresco were ruled out the most likely replacement would be Key or a move up the order for Vaughan

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i suppose it could be bell as he has experience as an opener and is likely to get in the team one way or another sometime soon, could be hs big break i suppose

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
sledger said:
i suppose it could be bell as he has experience as an opener and is likely to get in the team one way or another sometime soon, could be hs big break i suppose
He won't open in the Ashes, no way.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Neil Pickup said:
He won't open in the Ashes, no way.
bar a major injury disaster no he wont, and neither will anyone expect him too. however he is capable of playing that role there isnt much doubting his capacity to do so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sledger said:
Since when has Bell had experience as an opener?!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So opening in a couple of One Day games against the equivalent of Neil's U13 3rd XI (and he hasn't done for Warwickshire) is preparation for facing McGrath and Gillespie in Tests?!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So opening in a couple of One Day games against the equivalent of Neil's U13 3rd XI (and he hasn't done for Warwickshire) is preparation for facing McGrath and Gillespie in Tests?!
I would say if England get injuries to their openers the pecking order would be something like this:

Vaughan
Key
Butcher

All these guys have opened in both FC and Test and would be the first three they would call on.

Also KP opening aganist India A has more weight then Bell opening aganist Zimbabwe, also these are both OD matches not FC or Tests.