• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumble and laxman dropped form one-days

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Kumble and laxman has been dropped form one-days against pakistan.Kumble should have graciously retired from ODI rather than being very mediocre and pulling his life.
I think laxman's poor form in tests also contributed partially for his one day omission,but the primary reason being his ODI form is not good for last year or so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kumble since WC99
Long, long, long overdue - hasn't been a good ODI bowler for 6 years now. Played on 85 matches too long... of course, he wasn't to know that at the time.
Still, it'd have been much better if he'd retired with an economy-rate of 4.10-an-over and 232 wickets at 27.79. Have done him much more credit for the bowler he once was.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

well i agree with Laxman dropping not so sure about Kumble though, i still feel he can contribute to India ODI cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given his recent form, the only contribution he can make would be negative.
And it'd be sad for a once brilliant bowler to go on being so poor.

Sudeep

International Captain
Kumble is being rested, because he developed a minor knee injury yesterday, or that's what I understand from the papers today.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Sudeep said:
Kumble is being rested, because he developed a minor knee injury yesterday, or that's what I understand from the papers today.
ohhhhhh, because i was wondering why India would exclude Kumble from their one-day side

masterblaster

International Captain
Well, whoever we bring, our bowling lineup is still abysmal. Tough break to Ajit Agarkar (again!) as he misses out to those lame excuses Zaheer and Ashish Nehra.

Have the selectors even compared the records of Nehra and Zaheer to Agarkar?

Sure Agarkar's economy rate is a little high, but he still picks up more wickets than Nehra and Zaheer and contributes more with the bat and in the field.

The selectors fluffed that selection.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Laxman would be very valuable for India in the one day series, so it's a little surprising to see him dropped from the side. I presume at least one of Harbhajan Singh and Murali Kartik has been included in the ODI side so that would make up for Kumble's slight injury - IMO, he would've made a difference though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset said:
I think Laxman would be very valuable for India in the one day series, so it's a little surprising to see him dropped from the side. I presume at least one of Harbhajan Singh and Murali Kartik has been included in the ODI side so that would make up for Kumble's slight injury - IMO, he would've made a difference though.
IMO Mongia is a slightly better OD bat then Laxman, but i was suprised that Siriam didn't get into the squad in front of both of them. Agarkar is also pretty unlike to miss out to Zaheer and Nehra.

adharcric

International Coach
India Squad (Kochi & Vishakapatnam)
Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly (capt), Rahul Dravid, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Dinesh Mongia, Mahendra Dhoni (wk), Irfan Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Murali Kartik, Ashish Nehra, Lakshmipathy Balaji, Zaheer Khan

Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraj, Kaif, Balaji - no comment

Ganguly - he better start performing with the bat .. otherwise both his test and one-day positions will be in danger

Mongia - Sriram and Laxman were other options, hopefully Mongia keeps up his good form but it's doubtful he'll be in the playing eleven .. if he plays, he might be a solid bowling option as well

Dhoni - Karthik for tests and Dhoni for ODIs was quite expected, so no surprise here ... hopefully he displays his aggresive batting approach in playing a good knock or two

Pathan - supposed to be the #1 seamer so he better get that in-swinger going and increase the pace

Harbhajan - clearly a better ODI bowler than Kumble, hopefully he can play to his potential

Kartik - won't be in the playing eleven, Ramesh Powar might've been more deserving

Nehra - he needs to be given a chance considering Khan and Pathan have been crap

Khan - perhaps should be rested for the first ODI in favor of Nehra

1st ODI: V. Sehwag, S. Tendulkar, S. Ganguly, R. Dravid, M. Kaif, Y. Singh, M. Dhoni,
I. Pathan, L. Balaji, H. Singh, A. Nehra/Z. Khan

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
We dont have a great one day bowling side so our only hope is the batsmen keep outscoring the opposition which is too much to ask day in and day out.

I think Ganguly should open the innings with sachin and let Sehwag bat at number three.

It was an opportunity to include someone like Romesh Powar but...

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
We dont have a great one day bowling side so our only hope is the batsmen keep outscoring the opposition which is too much to ask day in and day out.

I think Ganguly should open the innings with sachin and let Sehwag bat at number three.

It was an opportunity to include someone like Romesh Powar but...

Agree. Sehwag needs time away from the openers slot in the one dayers. I would even go as far as slotting him at 4 or 5.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Agree. Sehwag needs time away from the openers slot in the one dayers. I would even go as far as slotting him at 4 or 5.
Yes. You are right. As it is, we slow down in the middle overs. His presence at 5 will really give an impetus.

Ganguly
Tendulkar
Kaif/Yuvraj
Dravid
Sehwag
Yuvraj/Kaif
Dhoni
Pathan
Balaji
Harbhajan
Zaheer/Nehra

With flexibility with Dravids position depending on situation.

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I feel it is unfortunate that Agarkar is ommitted, when the pathetic duo of Nehra/Zaheer are retained - both have been in terrible form and do not contribute with the bat or in the field.

Also feel Dinesh Mongia does not deserve a recall, his performances against top opposition for India whenever he has been selected have been abysmal. Laxman, meanwhile, peformed reasonably well in one-dayers last year and has a better record than Ganguly over the same time priod.

masterblaster

International Captain
vvk said:
I feel it is unfortunate that Agarkar is ommitted, when the pathetic duo of Nehra/Zaheer are retained - both have been in terrible form and do not contribute with the bat or in the field.
Couldn't agree with you more on this one. You're absolutely spot on. Zaheer and Nehra have failed repeatedly when put up against strong opposition with ball, bat and in the field. Agarkar atleast to his credit raises his game with the ball and he's one of the fittest and fastest fielders in India.