• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir...

dro87

U19 12th Man
How many players got the title thanks to their cricket abilities? Who was the last player to get it?

C_C

International Captain
Sir Issac Vivian Alexander Richards is the last one to get it me thinks.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dro87 said:
How many players got the title thanks to their cricket abilities? Who was the last player to get it?
Hadley maybe?.... im not sure, but i know who the next one should be.... Sir Richie Benaud!... i can just picture it after all the formalities he can say to the queen 'Superb knighting, that'..

Langeveldt

Soutie
benchmark00 said:
Hadley maybe?.... im not sure, but i know who the next one should be.... Sir Richie Benaud!... i can just picture it after all the formalities he can say to the queen 'Superb knighting, that'..
LOL

"Welcome to the knighting ceremony, here tuhday... "

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Persons awarded knighthoods for services to cricket:
Sir Francis Lacey 1926
Sir Frederick Toone 1929
Sir Vijaya Ananda (The Rajkumar of Vizianagram) 1936
Sir Pelham “Plum” Warner 1937
Sir Donald Bradman 1949
Sir Henry Leveson-Gower 1953
Sir Jack Hobbs 1953
Sir Leonard Hutton 1956
Sir Frank Worrell 1964
Sir Neville Cardus 1967
Sir Garfield Sobers 1975
Sir George “Gubby” Allen 1986
Sir Richard Hadlee 1990
Sir Colin Cowdrey 1992
Sir Clyde Walcott 1994
Sir Everton Weekes 1995
Sir Alec Bedser 1997
Sir Conrad Hunte 1998
Sir Vivian Richards 1999

Learie Constantine was also made a knight in 1962, tho for his services as a barrister, politician and diplomat rather than to cricket.

Lacey and Toone were knighted for their services as cricket administrators. Cardus was knighted for his services to cricket (& other) journalism.

I do think that Oz now has it's own system of honours rather than accepting knighthoods from the old country anymore. Otherwise SR Waugh would've been a shoe-in.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I do think that Oz now has it's own system of honours rather than accepting knighthoods from the old country anymore. Otherwise SR Waugh would've been a shoe-in.
Yep. This is evident in our Prime Ministers as well. Sir Robert Menzies was knighted, but Gough Whitlam, Malcolm Fraser, Bob Hawke etc haven't been. The reason is that one of our PMs (Whitlam I think) abolished the knighthood and replaced it with the Order of Australia, as part of the general movement at the time away from the structures of the monarchy. No Australian has been knighted since the early 70s, as far as I know.

Slow Love™

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, we ditched the old knighthood title in the early 70's - I think the highest honour now is "Companion of the Order of Australia". Not sure how different it all is, despite the name changes. I think it's still handed out by the Queen though, via the Governer General.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a related side-note, have any Australian cricketers been awarded the Companion of the Order of Australia since you colonial upstarts cut the apron-strings?! ;)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
As a related side-note, have any Australian cricketers been awarded the Companion of the Order of Australia since you colonial upstarts cut the apron-strings?! ;)
And just as the British call them Sir Richard, Sir Garfield etc, what do you call them ? Mate Boon, Mate Lee etc ??? :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Don Bradman was awarded it in 1986, not that he needed it. Belinda Clark was awarded the Order of Australia, which I think is a lesser honour... confusing.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
And just as the British call them Sir Richard, Sir Garfield etc, what do you call them ? Mate Boon, Mate Lee etc ??? :)
No, that would be silly. It would be Mate Dave and Mate Brett of course. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Heaps, I believe. Order of Australia recognitions are given out on Australia Day (Jan 26) each year, and just this year there were two new inductees for services to cricket, as follows:

Mr Keith Ross MILLER MBE, deceased
Late of Mornington Vic

Mr Mark Edward WAUGH
Rosehill NSW

I believe in fact that Sir Don was made a Companion of the Order of Australia in 1986, to go with his knighthood. Belinda Clarke was also given one, and was the first woman recognised with such an award for cricket, I believe. No doubt Richie has one, as does Steve Waugh and Allan Border and so on.

edit: turns out there are a few rankings as adamc suggested. The highest is the Companion of the Order of Australia, which comes with the title (AC), and this is what Bradman and Miller have. Mark Waugh was given the Officer of the Order of Australia award, as was Mark Taylor for services to cricket and cancer research in 2003. Steve Waugh got the highest one, AC, in 2004, and was also Australian of the Year that year. A bit of sibling rivalry between the Waughs, it seems. :D

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
benchmark00 said:
:laugh:

C_C

International Captain
Dont think anyone from the current crop will get a Sir title...they look for cricketing excellence and a paragon-of-virtue behaviour.....Richards was no paragon but he never got into any controversy (savefor his WI team =black team comment) like Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Gillchrist, etc. all have at some point or another in their careers.

telsor

U19 12th Man
C_C said:
Dont think anyone from the current crop will get a Sir title...they look for cricketing excellence and a paragon-of-virtue behaviour.....Richards was no paragon but he never got into any controversy (savefor his WI team =black team comment) like Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Gillchrist, etc. all have at some point or another in their careers.
It's largely a matter for the persons government 'recomending' the candidate to the queen. Barring exceptional circumstances, said recomendation will be accepted.