Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Obscure Selection

Your Favourite Obscure Selection

Every now and then, a selection panel comes up with a "bolter", someone gets picked and no-one saw it coming, e.g. Peter Taylor in 1987, where everyone was asking if they really meant to pick Mark Taylor.

What's your favourite obscure selection, not necessarily on the basis of performance, but that we look back on and have a bit of a chuckle.

Up there for me is Gavin Robertson being picked, virtually from club cricket to go to India, and he performed rather admirably IIRC when taking into account his complete lack of talent.

Another one that can sneak a mention is Bob Holland, the 38 year old legspinner. Not that I was around then, but it seems obscure enough for me.

Your thoughts.

David Sewell, was very young.

Once again we had a lack of pace bowlers so he was chucked in for a tour of Zim, he failed and has played like crap ever since. Only started to take wickets again this season.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    The "Peter Who?" thing must have been pretty good!

Apart from him, I don't know... If Hasan Raza was really 14, I'd like to hear a selector justify it...
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

International Debutant
    I think it was kind of weird when Nathan Hauritz was called up for the final test against India last year instead of MacGill.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Colin Miller would have to be my one, when i first saw him selected i just thought to my self this just shows the lack of depth in spin bowling in Australia. A guy that bowls spin for a season or two gets picked for the nation team. But he proved he was more then a capable bowler, won test player of the year a couple of years a ago.

I interesting that most left field selections in Australia are spin bowlers, Peter Taylor, Bob Holland, Hauritz, Roberston, Hogg (back in 95), Warne (when he first started) and Miller.
    I can since another one coming up for the Ashes if MacGill isn't picked, Dan Cullen.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by Dydl
    I think it was kind of weird when Nathan Hauritz was called up for the final test against India last year instead of MacGill.
    i think it's generally accepted that if warne hadn't have done the injury so close to the start of the test, macgill probably would have been flown over. i guess the obscure part was that hauritz and white were both over there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Casson
    The "Peter Who?" thing must have been pretty good!

Apart from him, I don't know... If Hasan Raza was really 14, I'd like to hear a selector justify it...
    Well the guy does average 50 in FC cricket now, i think that justifies it to some excent.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Sachin Tendulkar at 16 back in 1989 really takes the cake.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Well the guy does average 50 in FC cricket now, i think that justifies it to some excent.
    It was still an obscure selection... He was 14! (Apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    I interesting that most left field selections in Australia are spin bowlers, Peter Taylor, Bob Holland, Hauritz, Roberston, Hogg (back in 95), Warne (when he first started) and Miller.
    I can since another one coming up for the Ashes if MacGill isn't picked, Dan Cullen.
    generally spin bowlers haven't really been that successful post-WW2 in the sheffield shield (and lately the pura cup) competition. even someone like ray bright, who played 25 tests, averaged 32 over 184 first class games. ditto greg matthews.

EDIT: not that these guys were not successful, just that these are probably top 5/10 Australian spinners post-WW2 and there statistics aren't all that eye-catching.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 27-03-2005 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    generally spin bowlers haven't really been that successful post-WW2 in the sheffield shield (and lately the pura cup) competition. even someone like ray bright, who played 25 tests, averaged 32 over 184 first class games. ditto greg matthews.

EDIT: not that these guys were not successful, just that these are probably top 5/10 Australian spinners post-WW2 and there statistics aren't all that eye-catching.
    Allot of that has to do with the pitches and not nessary the quailty of the indiviual bowlers. From reports pitches in Australia pre WW2 were more responsive to spin bowling. But in saying that they have produced 3 world class leg spin bowlers since then in Benaud, Warne and MacGill.

If dan cullen gets picked for the ashes series, that would be pretty obscure
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Wasim Akram - picket to play for Pakistan on basis of a net session. Not sure whether he had played fc cricket before.

Terrorised Australia in his first appearance at the MCG, which coincidentally was one of the first times he had ever played in spikes of his own.

Also a young WI batsman was selected on the last tour of Australia on the basis of his performances in u19 World Cup.

Ian Healy was picked for Aus after only a couple of matches.

Incidentally, it was generally acknowledged that Peter Taylor wasnt even the best spinner at his club when he was picked.
    Last edited by social; 27-03-2005 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by social
    Also a young WI batsman was selected on the last tour of Australia on the basis of his performances in u19 World Cup.
    xavier marshall, i believe. hope he doesn't get written off just because he had a hard time of it during the tour. talk about being thrown in the deep end...with concrete floaties on.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    xavier marshall, i believe. hope he doesn't get written off just because he had a hard time of it during the tour. talk about being thrown in the deep end...with concrete floaties on.
    Its funny with all the players not picked because of contracts, that he was not picked for the first test. He looked a good prospect who needs experiance.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information