• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is Sehwag so good: My analysis

psxpro

Banned
C_C said:
I am talkin test cricket... ODI cricket is fun and stuff for me....not the real deal..am sure you'll agree.
Besides, both Gilly and Waggy open in ODI cricket.

And i am not talkin about once every year scenarios of Gilly comming in at 50/5 and doing a rescue job....those are very far and few in between....i am talkin about the average scenrio...the average scenario for Gilly is to come with the score at 250-300 and then pulverise bowlers who are deadbeat and demoralised.
Yes there are new balls in test cricket but if you think Facing Pollock fresh up is the same as freshing pollock after he has bowled 20 overs and toiled the whole day on the field is the same...then what can i say but :-O :-O :-O :wacko: :wacko:
Sehwag and gilly are both awesome players but Gilly is in a class of his own, he is actually under more pressure at no 7 becasue he is their last batsman and yet he almost always delivers.
Sehwag is the best opner in the world atm but Gilly is easily the better batsman and more valuable imo.

Deja moo

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
And yet in those 14 tests he has made 2 match-winning hundreds.
Yes he has. But an average of 29 over 14 tests refutes socials claim that no team has been able to contain him .

psxpro

Banned
Deja moo said:
Yes he has. But an average of 29 over 14 tests refutes socials claim that no team has been able to contain him .

So what he is still the best match winning batsman, maybe ever.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
psxpro said:
Sehwag and gilly are both awesome players but Gilly is in a class of his own, he is actually under more pressure at no 7 becasue he is their last batsman and yet he almost always delivers.
Sehwag is the best opner in the world atm but Gilly is easily the better batsman and more valuable imo.
I disagree with Gilly facing more pressure...
As a wicketkeeper, batting is still just part of your duties and thus there is not that much pressure on Gilchrist as compared to Sehwag.

Not that I am trying to say that Gilly is not as good as Sehwag, according to me they are both right up there as batsmen.. probably equal or maybe Sehwag just beating Gilly...
But as a player or cricket not just batsman its Gilly because lets not forget people hes also the wicketkeeper..

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
SKD's is an interesting observation too; I hadn't noticed that at all. It might also be instructive to see how his efforts in the first innings when India bat first against those when they bat second stack up. If he performs better when they bat first I guess it suggests he's at his most effective when given free-reign.
I have an another theory for this.Sehwag is so effective in first innings is becos of the fact that the pitches are much more suitable for batting than the second innings.we have seen some 50's from sehwag in second innings but that happens normally during 3rd day of test play.On 4th or 5 th day of test cricket when the pitch really helps the bowlers sehwag fails and this i think has to do both with the combination of factors, like pitch helping the bowling and thought process in sehwag's mind that pitch is not helpful for him to bat.Once he slightly free his mind and play , i think he is going to score more.Anyways its just a matter of 1 or 2 big second innings century after which we will see sehwag will score big in second innnings too.
:D

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think that the points made in the original point have been very well thought out. Sehwag's eye is the best in world cricket and the thing that sets him apart is the ability to identify the bad ball so early. I think that his foot movement is poor when compared to the more classical batsmen but his eye and ability to play late overcomes this deficiency.

It is not fair on either player to compare Sehwag and Gilchrist. They both play in different batting positions and therefore bat in different situations. I think it is a strength of both players that in general they play their natural game no matter what is going on. If the score is 85-5 then Sehwag will probably be 60no and purring along. I just love watching them both bat as it is always entertaining.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
on the contrary, coming after the aussie top and middle order, gilchrist more often than not starts batting on a very comfortable run cushion...hence way less pressure on him... :)