• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Texting Shane

Scallywag

Banned
Some drongo has a story about Shane texting for a bargain basement price of $30,000:00 I wonder who will cough up the dough and be the first to break this amazing story.

I'm glad money is not the driving force behind the story and anything said will only be the truth. And I'm sure the reporters will only report the facts and not try to make a story out of nothing to get their $30,000:00 worth.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Speculative at best. I don't believe anyone, even Shane Warne, could be so stupid so as to do that with the record he has.

I don't believe it for half a second.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
Speculative at best. I don't believe anyone, even Shane Warne, could be so stupid so as to do that with the record he has.

I don't believe it for half a second.
We are talking about Shane Warne here.

Nothing would surprise.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
social said:
We are talking about Shane Warne here.

Nothing would surprise.
No, that's quite plainly ridiculous. Shane Warne isn't stupid enough to get into another texting scandal. At worst, he's prone to making more stupid mistakes because of his ignorance, but he isn't stupid enough to repeat them.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I agree that it shouldn't be news (although in that context, starting a thread about it is a little ironic). I also don't like the fact that Cricket Australia is "investigating" the issue - it reminds me of the stupid penalty given to Tuffey by the NZ board last week.

However, if you were to ask me whether I thought the story had any basis, Warne's lawyers response heavily implies that it does:

Andrew Scott-Howman, Warne's New Zealand lawyer, said in a letter that Warne could not confirm whether he sent the SMS. "Personal text messages sent between two parties are private and confidential in nature, and may not be published without the consent of those parties," he said.

An outright denial might have been more convincing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
No, that's quite plainly ridiculous. Shane Warne isn't stupid enough to get into another texting scandal. At worst, he's prone to making more stupid mistakes because of his ignorance, but he isn't stupid enough to repeat them.
So you dont think he knew John the Bookie wanted something more for his money than the weather or that he was taking a banned substance or that as a public figure you attract more attention than normal?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
social said:
So you dont think he knew John the Bookie wanted something more for his money than the weather or that he was taking a banned substance or that as a public figure you attract more attention than normal?
Nobody is questioning that he has done some incredibly thoughtless things in his time - what I said to you was that he isn't stupid enough to make the same mistakes twice. I know that you'd think you would be smarter than that; at least afford Shane Warne that same benefit of the doubt.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mr Casson said:
Nobody is questioning that he has done some incredibly thoughtless things in his time - what I said to you was that he isn't stupid enough to make the same mistakes twice. I know that you'd think you would be smarter than that; at least afford Shane Warne that same benefit of the doubt.
***ual compulsion never follows those kinds of rules - it certainly rarely did for my dad, and he's a fairly intelligent guy. :)

On a more positive note, since the article I read at cricinfo, Cricket Australia has now distanced itself from the story, stating it's a private matter for Warne.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
***ual compulsion never follows those kinds of rules - it certainly rarely did for my dad, and he's a fairly intelligent guy. :)

On a more positive note, since the article I read at cricinfo, Cricket Australia has now distanced itself from the story, stating it's a private matter for Warne.
I doubt your dad is a high-profile star whose credibility is already spread so finely that another scandal would destroy his career and his name forever. Shane Warne is a unique being - his volatile reputation might be something that he is using to try to stay out of trouble. I'm only saying he should be afforded some respect as a person who is an easy target for gold-diggers, and he should be considered innocent until proven otherwise. I know I'd like that if I was in his situation.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I won't take one side or the other just yet. Given Warne's record and, as Slow Love said, the very unconvincing response from his lawyers, I'm inclined to believe the story. I don't think however that it's any matter for Cricket Australia unless it becomes a criminal matter.

If Warne didn't do it, his lawyers would have categorically denied the issue. After all, what would he have to lose in that case?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Mr Casson said:
I doubt your dad is a high-profile star whose credibility is already spread so finely that another scandal would destroy his career and his name forever. Shane Warne is a unique being - his volatile reputation might be something that he is using to try to stay out of trouble. I'm only saying he should be afforded some respect as a person who is an easy target for gold-diggers, and he should be considered innocent until proven otherwise. I know I'd like that if I was in his situation.
This kind of scandal isn't going to destroy Warne's career (certainly Cricket Australia have already made their perspective clear on that) and name forever, and neither should it.

My perspective is that providing he's not assaulting or raping people, it's a matter between he, the person involved, and his wife. IMO, you're treating this situation too seriously. If the accusation was related to match-fixing or drug-use, I'd probably treat the issue with more gravity.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
This kind of scandal isn't going to destroy Warne's career (certainly Cricket Australia have already made their perspective clear on that) and name forever, and neither should it.

My perspective is that providing he's not assaulting or raping people, it's a matter between he, the person involved, and his wife. IMO, you're treating this situation too seriously. If the accusation was related to match-fixing or drug-use, I'd probably treat the issue with more gravity.
I'm not treating it too seriously - that would mean that I care what Shane Warne does, which quite frankly, I don't.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Casson said:
I he should be afforded some respect as a person who is an easy target for gold-diggers, and he should be considered innocent until proven otherwise.
Looking at his past, I dont think Warnie deserves that. He is stupid, really stupid. :wacko:

Josh

International Regular
First thing I said was "Someone's probably thought Warnie hasn't been in the news for a while, and it looks like his career is back on track, let's start a fresh rumour."

I don't believe it either.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Warne should be more careful with the way he behaves in public. AT times, he is a bit too arrogant for his own good. Because of that, people get a certain impression of him and when stories such as this come out, they tend to believe it readily, without waiting for some confirmation.

telsor

U19 12th Man
I'm dubious, but who knows for sure, all we have is a newspaper selling papers by saying someone tried to sell them a story, and a bunch of 'no comments'.

BTW, Warnes lawyers would have to say what they did...It was probably their legal argument last time that they were private communications.

Regardless, does it really matter? Personally, I don't care what sportspeople do off the ground so long as it is legal and doesn't affect their performance. Until it's proved that that was the case, I don't care.

C_C

International Captain
My viewpoint in this- as in other issues(tuffey for eg.) is the same.
unless itis illegal by the law of the country the 'act' was performed in and unless it explicitly violates your contact with your employer (board), the employer can sodd off.
IF NZ law doesnt prohibit it and Warne doesnt violate any contract clause with CA, he can text message as much as he wants and to as many people as he wants in his free time.

I hate this recent trend of employers muddling in the private life of their employees out of the sphere of their contractual representations.
:@ :@ :@ :@

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ultimately, if it is true (and note I said "if", no judgement implied!) it probably doesn't reflect too well on Shane as a husband, but who knows what arrangements or accommodations Mr & Mrs Warne have in their marriage? I would imagine she would be aware of his reputation as a "swordsman" & may even turn a blind eye to any extra-marital activities he may get up to.

It certainly isn't a matter for the ACB in the same way as his conversations about the weather to bookmakers of doubtful provenance or his raiding of mama Warne's medicine cabinet were.