• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possible Indian captains

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It may or may not be appropriate for Ganguly to lose his place from the test side.
That is another debate. But if he were to lose his place, who would be the best person to lead the test team?

R.S.Dravid - Cool head and mature person. People say he is too mellow/soft and is not fierce enough. He has shown that he is as good a fighter as any one whil ebatting. Can he do it is a captain is a big question.

S.R.Tendulkar - The arguement against him is that he failed as a captain earlier. But the problem was that he expected too much from his players putting unnecessary pressur eon himself. Also, as Tendulkar has mentioned, he didnt have the support of the management. Also would dhe be willing to lead the side a third time. He has a mature cricket brain and could prove a much bette captain because of the experience of the past.

V.V.S.Laxman - Too much of a dasher and not suited to the captain role. Not awesome team skills required by a leader.

V.Sehwag - Same arguement as Lazman.

A.Kumble - Can be a good captain. But he would have to compete for his place with Harbhajan specially abroad. So would not be best suited over all if he cant always make the Indian first XI. Apart from that, no one doubts his ability or cricketing brains.

Md. Kaif - regarded as a future captain, no chance presently as he still has to cement a place in the side currently.

So the contenders boil down to Dravid, Tendulkar and Kumble. I would go for Tendulkar. He has a very good cricket brain and India could benefit from his experience as player when he is captain.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
id like to see Kumble as captain but the chances of that arn't good, Dravid is probably the most likley as i doubt tendulkar can keep in good form with the bat while captaining

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
A.Kumble - Can be a good captain. But he would have to compete for his place with Harbhajan specially abroad.
From the recent games, there's no evidence to support that.

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
out of that list, kaif is the most intelligent, in my opinion, and suits the captain role perfectly but he is having to fight a battle with yuvraj for a place in the test squad so him captaining the test side would not be a realistic picture. Even though Tendulkar had failed as captain years back, that was because of the pressure on him as the team's one and only star batsman. it's different now because it's not a one-man team anymore, to say the least, and tendulkar's mindset has changed. I think he would be a very innovative captain full of new ideas. This could be seen as a risk though. The safest and most practical captain would be Rahul Dravid. no need to explain why.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Yeah Kumble, Sehwag and Laxman for me in that order. Dravid's shown his batting form deteriorates quite horribly as captain and the same with Tendulkar. Sehwag is good and aggressive and Kumble is great. And I agree with Marc, Kumble should be India's 1st-choice spinner until his retirement. If India play at home on spin-friendly tracks or in Sri Lanka, then Harbhajan should play, otherwise, he has to bide his time until Kumble's retirement when only one spinner is called for.

C_C

International Captain
take Tendulkar outta the equation...in numerous interviews he has said that he doesnt wish to lead IND in the future and three stints was enough.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gangster said:
Yeah Kumble, Sehwag and Laxman for me in that order. Dravid's shown his batting form deteriorates quite horribly as captain and the same with Tendulkar. Sehwag is good and aggressive and Kumble is great. And I agree with Marc, Kumble should be India's 1st-choice spinner until his retirement. If India play at home on spin-friendly tracks or in Sri Lanka, then Harbhajan should play, otherwise, he has to bide his time until Kumble's retirement when only one spinner is called for.
That's committing the same mistake that England used to - selecting the captain before determining who the best available 11 players are.

Id pick Tendulkar. By all accounts he has the best cricket brain in the Indian team and he should be mature enough to handle other aspects of the role by now.

Dravid has been unimpressive in the times that Ive seen him but you can almost guarantee that he'll be top of many people's list for no other reason than he appears to be the regular stand-in.

The risk with Kumble is that he under-bowls himself or is selected in conditions that dont suit his style of bowling.

deeps

International 12th Man
dravid averages 15 whilst captain.........it seems to affect his batting way too much, we dnt want to bring down a great player like dravid and make him into the next ganguly.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
It may or may not be appropriate for Ganguly to lose his place from the test side.
That is another debate. But if he were to lose his place, who would be the best person to lead the test team?

R.S.Dravid - Cool head and mature person. People say he is too mellow/soft and is not fierce enough. He has shown that he is as good a fighter as any one whil ebatting. Can he do it is a captain is a big question.

S.R.Tendulkar - The arguement against him is that he failed as a captain earlier. But the problem was that he expected too much from his players putting unnecessary pressur eon himself. Also, as Tendulkar has mentioned, he didnt have the support of the management. Also would dhe be willing to lead the side a third time. He has a mature cricket brain and could prove a much bette captain because of the experience of the past.

V.V.S.Laxman - Too much of a dasher and not suited to the captain role. Not awesome team skills required by a leader.

A.Kumble - Can be a good captain. But he would have to compete for his place with Harbhajan specially abroad. So would not be best suited over all if he cant always make the Indian first XI. Apart from that, no one doubts his ability or cricketing brains.

Md. Kaif - regarded as a future captain, no chance presently as he still has to cement a place in the side currently.

So the contenders boil down to Dravid, Tendulkar and Kumble. I would go for Tendulkar. He has a very good cricket brain and India could benefit from his experience as player when he is captain.
Why does Md. Kaif feature there?...And no AA...What is this world coming to?

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
But seriously Rahul Dravid is the best contender...no reasons required,he's simply the toughest among all the cricketers since Steve Waugh...even now Rahul is the right choice instead one Mr. Ganguly

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nikhil1772 said:
But seriously Rahul Dravid is the best contender...no reasons required,he's simply the toughest among all the cricketers since Steve Waugh...even now Rahul is the right choice instead one Mr. Ganguly
Steve Waugh prospered with the bat as captain. Not sure if you've been reading this thread at all, but Dravid does not.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Steve Waugh prospered with the bat as captain. Not sure if you've been reading this thread at all, but Dravid does not.
Well I chose to ignore that point simply because Rahul has not been captain in that many matches to judge his batting during captaincy

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
biased indian said:
i dont hink u need a thread for this Dravid is the automatic choice.unless he do some thing like shane warne did :) :)
And if Rahul is not the next captain...going by ur logic...Vijeta is going to be mad mad mad :D

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Very good choice, but he may not last very long, given his age, hough he's good enough to play till 39. His batting form as captain is just a coincidence. Everyone said that Michael Vaughan's batting deteriorated when he was captain- he put that to rest with convincing batting in the final Test in the West Indies, then scored two centuries in a Test match back home. Dravid is a superior player to Vaughan and is a World XI class batsman, so captaincy shouldn't affect his batting.
He'd make a terrific captain because of his positive attitude and intelligence, but would he want to lead the side?
Captaincy would make him more responsible. He is one of the more intelligent players to play for India, so he would make a good captain.
Sehwag is just plain lazy. Reason enough not to pick him
Maybe the Test side, but he's struggling even in the longer version of the game. As a bowler, he knows what's good for his team as a bowling side.
Unless the selectors do what their South African counterparts did and make him the captain, though his style is rather questionable. Of course, he has won a domestic tournament (Duleep Trophy) as captain of Central Zone.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid to me seems the automatic choice . But Kumble or Sehwag should be made Vice Captain.

Sehwag has potential to be a captain after Dravid, provided he is groomed and trained for the job over coming 1-2 years .

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
From the recent games, there's no evidence to support that.
Recent games - In Mohali which was a good wicket, Kumble didnt bowl very well. Many including me felt Bhajji would be a better choice for that game.

And Bhajji was the one who performed in the 1st inning of Bangalore as well on a good batting track.

masterblaster

International Captain
I'd rate Mohammad Kaif as a future Indian Captain, he certainly has the tools to be a great leader in the future. As of right now, I'd say Dravid would have to be the number 1 contender. But we dont want his batting to suffer do we?

Kumble would make a good captain I'd think.