• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possible Indian captains

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
Of course Pratyush. I dont think, for a minute, Kumble should lead before Dravid.

I was just letting off my pent up fury at the way indians batted today and how sensibly Kumble batted by contrast. :)
I was lucky enough to be working and didnt have to see the match.

And yes if Kumble can make the runs he can, some one could have stuck on the wicket for some more time.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:

And yes if Kumble can make the runs he can, some one could have stuck on the wicket for some more time.
Working? Not too long ago, I thought you were still in college, since you had to write some exams.

Still, the ideal captain for the Indian side is one who plays to a plan and is ready for any situation, and of course, one who thinks differently from the current captain.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
Working? Not too long ago, I thought you were still in college, since you had to write some exams.
I am 22, working as well as finishing my masters in finance (cfa)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:

I too did not see beyond lunch. But it was terrible the way sachin batted allowing the close in fielders complete freedom. If he had even been pushing a few drives, he would have survived. I have never been so disappointed with Tendulkar's batting in his entire career. There was no venom in the wicket nor in the bowling. It was just negative batting which had to result in the odd bat pad, the odd ball missing the bat and hitting the pads for an appeal and so on.

Totally unexplainable for such experienced cricketers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
I too did not see beyond lunch. But it was terrible the way sachin batted allowing the close in fielders complete freedom. If he had even been pushing a few drives, he would have survived. I have never been so disappointed with Tendulkar's batting in his entire career. There was no venom in the wicket nor in the bowling. It was just negative batting which had to result in the odd bat pad, the odd ball missing the bat and hitting the pads for an appeal and so on.

Totally unexplainable for such experienced cricketers.
Hate to disagree but I dont think it was terrible. They in a situation to save a match is how many balls a batsman survives, how many minutes he survives. Tendulkar survived 98 balls, Sehwag survived 124 balls. Tendulkar survived 140 minutes as opposed to Sehwag's 152 minutes.

As a captain I would only be considered with those two statistics.

The main problem :-

VVS Laxman lbw b Shahid Afridi 5 35 29 1 0
*SC Ganguly b Shahid Afridi 2 16 14 0 0
+KKD Karthik b Mohammad Sami 9 55 44 2 0

These players tried to play away frm their natural game and paid the price. I wouldnt say the same about Dravid as he can play solid defense and did survive a while, also showing in the pas he can bat ultra defensively.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Hate to disagree but I dont think it was terrible. They in a situation to save a match is how many balls a batsman survives, how many minutes he survives. Tendulkar survived 98 balls, Sehwag survived 124 balls. Tendulkar survived 140 minutes as opposed to Sehwag's 152 minutes.

As a captain I would only be considered with those two statistics.

The main problem :-

VVS Laxman lbw b Shahid Afridi 5 35 29 1 0
*SC Ganguly b Shahid Afridi 2 16 14 0 0
+KKD Karthik b Mohammad Sami 9 55 44 2 0

These players tried to play away frm their natural game and paid the price. I wouldnt say the same about Dravid as he can play solid defense and did survive a while, also showing in the pas he can bat ultra defensively.
I am not comparing Sachin with Sehwag
Nor did I say sachin should have batted like Sehwag.
Far from it.
He should have just played the bowling on merit and pushed to mid on or mid off where a push to that place was possible instead of going on and on in dead defense irrespective of the delivery. By doing so, he ensured that the first mistake he made would be his last since there were 5 guys around the bat all the time who could cooly keep focussing on him without blinking their eyes.

The only thing Kumble did was, not to let them crouch so carefreely around him and push the ball out of the reach of the close in fielders.

Sachin played TO the close in fielders. He needed to play as if to the fielders manning the mid field areas (not hitting boundaries necessarily), imaginary fielders if you like. This would have given these close in fielders less time and much to react to a chance than they had with his drop dead tactics.

It is normal in such situations AND withy the wicket still playing well as it was.

I could have understood if the wicket was spiteful and he was barely able to fend off deliveries. But that wasnt the case.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
I am not comparing Sachin with Sehwag
Nor did I say sachin should have batted like Sehwag.
Okay I understand the main problem is with the fact that Tendulkar may have batted less riskily as far as you are concerned.

Forget that for a moment. How many chances did he offer and how many minutes did he last in the end.

In a normal Tendulkar inning too he could have lasted around 100 balls made a 60 and got out. As far as you are concerned, the reason he got out was the way he batted as the pitch offered next to nothing. I have not seen the inning but I think he did last a fair while that is almost two and half hours and had some of the others supported, the draw could have been salvaged.

I too expect a lot from Tendulkar but he knew what he was doing according to me which is the only reason he could last the said minutes in the first place.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Okay I understand the main problem is with the fact that Tendulkar may have batted less riskily as far as you are concerned.
No Pratyush. You still dont get it.

I am not saying for a minute that he should have taken risks.
No he should have NOT taken any risks.

What stategy he adopted was RISKY. He became extremely vulnerable to a small error of judgement with so many fielders close to the bat with no worry since they are seeing him ball after ball, plonking the bat by the side of his pads.

I know what he was trying to do. He felt confident that this way he would play out time. But he was wrong.
1. This was risky with so many people around him.
2. There is no risk in driving half volleys and pushing straight deliveries back a;long the track off either foot in the VEE.

I am not saying he should taken risks. What he did was risky thats why it was certain that he would fall.

Go home and watch the entire innings of his and see if there was venom in the wicket which made him play in this mode or his determination that THIS was what he was going to do.

He made a terribly wrong calculation and I am amazed that he did so since he is one of the most cereberal cricketers in the world.

He may have thought that by closing down shop and taking India to safety he would do what people had said he had never done. But he chose the wrong method. He made his own job MORE difficult and that of the bowlers much easier.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
He may have thought that by closing down shop and taking India to safety he would do what people had said he had never done. But he chose the wrong method. He made his own job MORE difficult and that of the bowlers much easier.
With the reply I have in the Indo-Pak thread, I think I can say I understand what you were saying.

You believe it was the wrong method.

Cheers. I replied in the other thread to the same.