• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever One Day XI

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Tendulkar
Gillchrist(wk)
Richards
Lara
Bevan
Rhodes
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

yeah 3 bowlers and 2 bowling all rounders does leave it a little weak, i think akram could commant a place above pollock too :p

C_C

International Captain
Richards i have at 4 due to having punter at 3, mainly because Punter has a stronger opace preferance.
Well Punter isnt in my team so that dilemma doesnt come :)
Rhodes was never anything special in terms of batting ability and I can think of a dozen players I would rather have than him. Ponting or Dean Jones would be the best selection, but someone like Aravinda De Silva would be fine as well.
I am not totally sold on having a Ponting or Deano at #6....they were up the order batsmen and i just dont know hwo good they would be comming in around the 40th over...which a #6 in that lineup mostly will.....Rhodes was pretty decent at that role plus i find his batting is underrated......a 35 ave in cricket isnt eye-popping but certainly not ordinary either.
besides, i find the idea of stocking the side with pure batsmen or bowlers in ODI is a bit erroneous....because in ODI, fielding is of crucial importance.....remember...runs saved is almost like runs scored...and no one saved as much runs as regularly as Rhodes in ODIs....not even ponting or Deano... considering that the #6 will mostly bat after the 40th over, a quickfire 25-30 from rhodes with the bat and 15-20 runs saved in the outfield is good enough IMO.

Shaun Pollock isn't a good enough one day batsman to play at 7 in an ODI, where wickets might fall in the middle overs.
True that he aint no klusener with the bat...but the role of a #7 in that lineup is to hit out in the last 5-10 overs and be an excellent bowler....how often is the #7 in that lineup gonna come in around the 25th over ? and if he did, the coach should make the batsmen run till their tongues touch the ground....I think having 5 frontline bowlers is optimal and Pollock is a significantly better ODI bowler than Klusener.....they have very similar wicket/match ratio and Pollock has a significantly better E/R....
So basically i for #7 i am looking for a player who can contribute 20-25 runs with the bat from 15-20 balls and bowl his 10 overs excellently....for that criteria, i think Pollock is the best suited....and my second choice is Kapil Dev.

age- Garner is not there JUST because of his E/R. He is quiete simply the best death overs bowler alongside Akram because he had IMO the best damn yorker ever....he also has one of the highest wicket/match ratios in ODI cricket.......and in those days such a high wicket/match ratio is no mean feat, given that batsmen wernt looking to hit out as much.

I think people underestimate the value of fielding in ODIs.......in the side i picked, it has excellent fielders.......Tendulkar isnt stunning but he is as competent in the field as most with a very safe pair of hands...same with Lara.....Richards was an awesome outfielder...bevan was one of the best after Rhodes,Gibbs and Azharuddin in his heydeys.....Rhodes is well...Rhodes....Akram is one of the better fielders we've seen in ODIs....Pollock is competent....Murali for a large part of ihs career was an electric fielder with a dynamite throw and Garner was surprisingly agile for a man his size....more agile than the likes of mcGrath,Hadlee,Marshall, etc.......

i feel this team suits the requirement of ODIs the most.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
the 'bowling allrounders' have this kinda record in ODI bowling :

313 wickets @ 23.80 from 228 matches, 11 4-fers, 4 five-fers, 3.74 economy, 38.1 strike rate

502 wickets @ 23.52 from 356 matches, 17 4-fers, 6 five-fers, 3.89 economy, 36.2 strike rate

the other three bowlers have this kinda record:

146 wickets @ 18.84 from 98 matches, 2 4-fers, 3 five-fers, 3.09 economy, 36.5 strike rate
369 wickets @ 22.11 from 238 matches,10 4-fers, 8 five-fers, 3.78 economy, 35.0 strike rate
315 wickets @ 22.05 from 205 matches, 9 4-fers, 7 five-fers, 3.87 economy, 34.1 strike rate

Dont think 5 bowlers of that callibre are 'weak'.
:D

Scallywag

Banned
Tendulkar
Gillchrist(wk)
Lara
Bevan
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

C_C
Over half of you players come from current players which must mean the quality of cricket is at its highest now.

C_C

International Captain
C_C
Over half of you players come from current players which must mean the quality of cricket is at its highest now.
most of those players are close to retiring so i wouldnt put them as 'current'...but rather a generation previous.
In anycase, it doesnt mean that quality of ODI cricket is at its highest now....personally i think it was at its highest in the 80s and 90s........besides, quality isnt determined by the few super players...its the average feild strength.......

The reason i've picked those players is because they have been successful over a far longer period of time than the players in the 70s and 80s.....but then again, ODI game was different back then and not as often played.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

lads why are leaving out blokes like Imran Khan, Ian Botham and Richard Hadlee from your various XI's if u want all-rounders these three gentlemen were great all-rounders without and u blokes gotta have them in your team.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

now age master who r u speaking to really when u send this post mate about carrer bowling strike rates

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
lads why are leaving out blokes like Imran Khan, Ian Botham and Richard Hadlee from your various XI's if u want all-rounders these three gentlemen were great all-rounders without and u blokes gotta have them in your team.
well we are after the best

Khan: Batting 33, Sr 70, solid but not up there with the best, Klusener for example had an average ove over 40 with a very high SR. bowling average 26 with ER of nearly 41.

Botham: Batting ave 23, bowling 28. again good but not up with the very best.

Hadlee: only averaged 21 with the bat in ODI's, bowling was good but similar to Garner in that he had superb economy, 3.3, so i doubt he would be as effective vs todays batsmen, it also says to me taht he was pretty much seen off as NZ didn't have many opther particularly great bowlers. bowling SR 39.1

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
now age master who r u speaking to really when u send this post mate about carrer bowling strike rates

just general information for all, shows how Saqulain and Lee compare to the rest ;)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

age_master said:
well we are after the best

Khan: Batting 33, Sr 70, solid but not up there with the best, Klusener for example had an average ove over 40 with a very high SR. bowling average 26 with ER of nearly 41.

Botham: Batting ave 23, bowling 28. again good but not up with the very best.

Hadlee: only averaged 21 with the bat in ODI's, bowling was good but similar to Garner in that he had superb economy, 3.3, so i doubt he would be as effective vs todays batsmen, it also says to me taht he was pretty much seen off as NZ didn't have many opther particularly great bowlers. bowling SR 39.1
come on mate u know that their figures dont truly show how great those three were

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

age_master said:
yeah but they just dont compare to Akram, or Pollock with the ball
well maybe pollock and akram were better with the ball than botham but not Imran and Hadlee, no no no

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
better all round players, better with the ball than botham, better with the bat than the other 2
Akram is certainly not better with the bat than Imran. He has the highest test average of any player who averaged under 25 with the ball, ahead of Keith Miller. Pollock and Imran are about on part with the bat in my view.

However, I picked the more recent players in Lee, McGrath and Wasim over the likes of Garner, Hadlee, Lillee etc because they played after the evolution of one day cricket to a completely different game in the early to mid 90s. I have no doubt that the earlier players still would have done well in the new form of the game, but it is difficult to say how well. I guarantee you Garner wouldn't have had an eco rate of 3 bowling on flat pitches with modern ODI batting tactics. Still, he was good enough that he only just missed out from my team.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
1. Adam Gilchrist (keeper)
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Viv Richards (captain)
4. Dean Jones
5. Jonty Rhodes
6. Michael Bevan
7. Kapil Dev
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shane Warne
10. Saqlain Mushtaq
11. Glenn McGrath

Beleg

International Regular
Lara
Glichrist
Richards
Tendulkar
Inzamam
Lloyd - Captain
Pollock
Botham
Wasim
McGrath
Muralitharan

Blaze

Banned
Also I am surprised Jonty Rhodes has been mentioned.. he was nothing special with the bat.. Sure he was a spectacular fieldsman but fielding doesn't matter if you havent got any runs to bowl at.