• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dutch cricket

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket in Holland isnt going very good at the moment...youth is growing steadly but not fast. KNCB(board) has money problems therefor the dutch team cant do a proper warm-up for the ICC throphey just the local competion. the dutch 1st team doesnt have a future in the NEAR future on the long term its growing but the U15 is the next crop of very talented players. U18 team has some prospect but nothing flashy like van Bunge.
the rest of the team is getting old Tim de Leede is nearing his mid thirties so if van Troost and more players. the youth competions are build up like Top competition(18 plays 50 overs, U15 40 U13 35 and so on) with the rules that a no-ball and wide is 2 runs and NO overbowl then you have Everybody bats and bowls U18=40 overs, U15 35 and U13 30 overs with the same weird rules BUT in the U15 league you have to bowl everyone so 10x30 + 5 overs spread over the bowlers of your choice. in U18 you can decide not to bowl everyone but they have to bat from 1-6. now my question is what can happen to help Cricket in holland ? what kind of setup what added and stuff. and how can we help cricket more popluar with the rest of the people. Cricket in Holland had some very bad publicity last 2 seasons first there was the Pakistani guy that went mad against the umpire(board) and hit the umpire with his bat on the head! you never hear something abotu cricket on the news or newspapers this happens and you get articles and news items :wacko: :@ then there was a Hoofdklasse team(highest class) a pakistani, afgan mix team, they got into a split up and started fighthing with knives before a match...again no new at all this happens and wham we got cricket in the papers..because of this a lot of people think cricket in holland is only Pakistani's (Serious guys at this board from pakistan but it is that way in holland i really mean no offence i got Pakistani's in my team and they are the best...biased about cricket and really nice duded so i dont have anything against them.) but its only 30% of the cricketers in holland the rest is pretty local.

EDIT: arg just noticed i posted it in OT could a mod please move it to cricket chat? cheers!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Fingers crossed that funds go in hollands way. But from the way you put it it doesn't sound to bad, as long as youngins are playing more people become interested.
What are your suggestions to fixing?

ps. Use paragraphs

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah im dutch remember :(
the funding thing is a big problem, the dutch board should recieve 120.000 dollar but because of England not going to zimbabwe ICC got a big claim around there neck..so who's the losing..side well guessed the minnows now we only recieve $53.000

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
they tried that...inviiting big stars let them play in biggest footie stadion of holland..guess what...it didnt go thru...and more bad luck like that.

cricket player

International Debutant
If you think holland can be a good cricket team with out pakistans,afghanis,bangladeshes,indians,Then you must be joking,You have to start playing cricket from an early age to be a certin cricket player,hollanders,once they know what is cricket,Then they start playing it with out knowing how to hold the bat,so I suggest that you should be thank full to those afghanis pakistanis indians for letting cricket grow more in holland,

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
there's not much you can do without the money these days. What other sports are played in Holland outside of soccer (which is pretty massive over there).

There are some quite talented cricketers over there but the only thing you can do is just develop them and wait for a slice of luck - i.e. beating England or a fully fledged test team in a ODI or 4-day game.

There are two things that can be done which i don't think would cost too much;
1) Work on that idea i head in the "non test cricketing nations" thread about sending 3 players a season off to another county/province. Being one of the better non test nations you would affiliate the Dutch with a good province - West Australia could be a good option as there are a lot South Africa/Dutch people over there aren't there?? Anyway, it wouldn't really matter where they go. I genuienely believe a cricket from somewhere like Netherlands would learn 20 times more in one season of high class (not neccesarily FC) cricket in a country like Australia or South Africa or England than they would've in their entire cricketing career's. This is perhaps the way to develop players so that the Dutch team may just cause an upset against countries like England or Pakistan etc,.

2) With the introduction of 20/20, i think teams touring to various places should place these "international" 20/20's in non cricketing nations. I.e. when Australia tour England the game should be played in Netherlands or Scotland etc,. When teams tour Australia the game should be played in Papau New Guinea or Fiji or Vanuata etc,.

Neither of those two ideas would be that costly - first would only cost an affair (accomodation and employment could be arranaged). second wouldn't cost anymore than hosting it in a test playing nation.........

other than that you can only really keep plugging away and waiting for a bit of luck.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
1st point. the KNCB pays for 5 players a full winter(summer overthere) to play cricket in South Africa in a high team not FC but a high team, some players indeed have developed from that...example Daan van Bunge and his older brother Job.
2nd point yeah something like top nations playing twenty20 matches IN holland would be great, cuz i doesnt last long and its just bam bam bam a good way to introduce it to the other people.

CP: I have NEVER EVER said that i dont want pakistani's or anyone in cricket in holland i only said the havent been giving good publicity...all my mates from higher to lower teams have been playing since there 10th or younger oke 2 or 3 new dudes but for the rest from a young age. i am thankfull to them but it needs to grow with the local people becuase we only got something like 150.000 subcontintential people maybe even less. and we got 13 milion "locals". myself im one of those guy that didnt have a sport apart from football when i was 8 and i wanted another sport. so i looked around togheter with my ma and we ended at cricket...i loved it immediately and i play cricket for over 8 years.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Holland does have a tradition of the game and a long history at that. It is only that they have not been competitive in international level.

I mean the 1996 Holland squad had so many original Holland born players playing in the team like Bas Van Noorvjick etc. It is one of the countries the ICC should support to improve.

Its sad Kenya didnt get support they deserved after 2003 specially. Come one ICC. Look at where cricket can hold a foothold in the long term.

Blaze

Banned
cricket player said:
If you think holland can be a good cricket team with out pakistans,afghanis,bangladeshes,indians,Then you must be joking,You have to start playing cricket from an early age to be a certin cricket player,hollanders,once they know what is cricket,Then they start playing it with out knowing how to hold the bat,so I suggest that you should be thank full to those afghanis pakistanis indians for letting cricket grow more in holland,

?

Jacob Oram didn't start playing cricket until he was 16..and I am sure there are many other cases.. Playing for years and years and getting coaching from an early age may give you an edge but it only gets you so far. Natural ability is the key to succeding on the big stage

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cricket player said:
Not only is that rubbish, it's racist. Apology in order, methinks.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
?

Jacob Oram didn't start playing cricket until he was 16..and I am sure there are many other cases.. Playing for years and years and getting coaching from an early age may give you an edge but it only gets you so far. Natural ability is the key to succeding on the big stage

side note: oram played soccer mostely, "goalie" the irony ahe! is'nt soccer hollands national game.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Tariq: Er zijn twee dingen die ik gehaat. Het onvermogen van mensen om andere culturen.. en Nederlanders.

Bob... man, this place WOULD SUCK without you :happy: 8-)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
haha :P
its Tarick...well i dont hate them i like em most of the time..its just a fact that SOME of them havnt done justice to dutch cricket..thats all im saying.
nice eeh..translation sites :D

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Incase die u er niet in om bent geslaagd om op te merken, ik zei ik HAATTE de NEDERLANDERS! Dwaze Nederlandse jongen..

Nah, Bob is just... challenged? he haz sum problms wiht stff..

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
dat je er niet in bent geslaad om dat op te merken, ik zei ik HAAT Nederlanders dwaze nederlandse jongen...thats the correct translation of it...:P
i dont care you hate me...

Queenslander

Cricket Spectator
kwek said:
now my question is what can happen to help Cricket in holland ?
I recall Peter Cantrell moving to Holland in the 80's ? to try and get things going. Is he still there ? Is he still associated with Dutch cricket?

I think you could also look at grade/county cricketers in Australia/England etc who have Dutch heritage and may be eligible to represent Holland at World Cup qualifiers etc. This may only be a "stop-gap" measure but if you were to pick up a couple of quality players, albeit for short period, win a few games - the long term prospects may improve as a result. I used to play a reasonable level in Australia (too old now) and would have given anything to have played in a World Cup match. My parents were both born in Holland and I dare say there would be a number of similar cases in Australia with quality state or grade players having Dutch parents or grandparents and with little chance of playing for Australia.