Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank God for Australia !

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

Thank God for Australia !

This morning they were showing the second test of India's last series down under and I sat spell bound watching. They were showing the highlights but even though I had seen the test match I wished they were showing the complete game, ball by ball. So absorbing is a contest between Australian bowlers and the top batsmen of the world.

Sachin, though he was going through a bad patch played well for a 31 before totally misreading a flipper and padding up to MacGill to be leg before. And I thought, that was a gem of an innings while it lasted. But thats because it was against such a keen attack and a side that just wouldnt give up.

The tragedy of the game is not because Australia are too good for the rest of them but because there is only one Australian team !!

It sounds like the same thing but there is a difference in emphasis.

Even if sides will get trounced by the Aussies, they will still provide great contests between individual great players like , say Lara, and the Aussie bowlers even as Windies get trampled in a no contest. Thank God for that till we can have better.

Hope the Aussies will keep up the high standards amidst relative mediocrity in the cricketing world till others catch up. Who wants a contest between two mediocre sides, even if it means an even contest.

I for one dont.

that's the problem with one day games. people say it was a fantastic game of cricket just because someone won or lost by a small margin. usually, it was only a really enjoyable game for the last two overs.

and as you said, high standard cricket is always better to watch than the opposite.

International Debutant
    Obviously to me, a match between, Australia and India, lets say would be more entertaining than a match between Australia and Bangladesh. Wickets would fall and the match would be just domination for Australia. It would still entertain, the Bangladeshi batmsen would hit 4's and score runs, but the basic feel would be boredom. The game will go on and minnows will exist.

Each and every game, at least one thing will entertain the crowd. The higher the competition, the more entertainment the crowd gets. Thus, the crowds are higher, as they are anticipating the excitement and entertainment that will be brought to them through a good contest. The crowd would anticipate in a match against Bangladesh, not many, if any sixes to be hit, or many fours scored. The crowds anticipate lack of excitement and don't bother to turn out as it doesn't have much value in it for them. They would be more suited to watching it on televison.

A team's profile matters in the turnout for the crowd.

It was almost a good thing that in 2003 or 2004 the test series between Austalia and Zimbabwe never happened. There wouldn't be much contest and not many runs scored by the weaker side.

It is a bad thing for the reputation of cricket.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Zimbabwe (current team) and BD are in a league of their own and what should be done with them has been discussed many times. That problem will remain sadly

Like the "invincibles" , the current players will be remembered as being part of a "Cricketing Colossus" !

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    I, for one, prefer good cricket. If any team plays another and beats them by a big margin, if it was good standard cricket played by them, I'm happy. That's why I like it when other teams challenge Australia because it usually mean they've played well too so it's a high standard of cricket.

Seeing the WSC cricket teams in action live would have been something. Shame it all ended years before I was born!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Seeing the WSC cricket teams in action live would have been something. Shame it all ended years before I was born!
    Thought you'd just turned 26? If so it ended about the same time as you were born!
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Actually, you're right. For some reason I had it in my head that it ended in 76 or thereabouts but yeah, you're right.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Thank God For England!!!!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    You mean "Pray to God for England" ?

I agree with SJS.
    Due to the agression shown by the Aussie players I find any match involving Australia highly entertaining.

Thats what this game need.. more agression..and a better fight..
    Founder & President of VSAS

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Aussies have changed the way the game is played - they play all-out for a result. And you can see this wonderful "disease" spreading to other nations. India & Pakistan have been batting consistently at 3-3.5/over, which 10 years ago would have been unheard of.

Due to this approach, the popularity of test matches is on the rise.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    yes thank god for rikki clarke, ian blackwell and aftabd habib, all wonderful contributars to the game of cricket....

Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Zimbabwe (current team) and BD are in a league of their own and what should be done with them has been discussed many times. That problem will remain sadly
    Every cricketing nation has to start somewhere. Sri Lanka started out a little like Bangladesh has, but look at them now.

Zimbabwe is another story. Their government should be shot.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Every cricketing nation has to start somewhere. Sri Lanka started out a little like Bangladesh has, but look at them now.

Zimbabwe is another story. Their government should be shot.
    Yes, at least Bangladesh is improving to a noticable degree over time. It's worth remembering that they have only been a test nation for four or five years now, and although they are without doubt the least successful test nation ever, this appears worse than it is because of the high volume of matches played. No other fledgling test nation has ever played anything like the amount of cricket Bangladesh has in their early years, which, while it might increase the speed of their advancement, also makes the disparity in skill levels more obvious.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information