Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: Aussie selfishness

  1. #1
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957

    Aussie selfishness

    Okay I was amused to see Australia carry on their inning and declare only after Warne reached a fifty in the 2nd Australia - New Zealand test. http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...22MAR2005.html

    Why!?

    They had more than enough on the board and a day had already been lost due to rain. As it proved, the Australians did fall short on time. A declaration 20 runs earlier wouldnt make a HUGE difference but had there been 2 hours of less rain, a latter declaration may have been crucial.

    It is just a point in case of a captain who called Lara's 400 selfish when it was one of the mor eimportant innings in Windies recent cricket which restored some pride back into their cricket after the humiliation suffered earlier in that series.

  2. #2
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    without the rain, Australia would have actually had something like 220 overs to take 20 NZ wickets..something I am sure they would have been confident about

    Australia only declared 2 overs I think after what was probably a logical time for a declaration...and thats the difference between this and Laras 400...logically WI, if really after a victory vs England should have declared quite a bit earlier than they did
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  3. #3
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,303
    i think they should have declared after passing 500 with follow on mark at 150 (if i am correct)
    asking NZ to score 350 was more than enough
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  4. #4
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    Australia only declared 2 overs I think after what was probably a logical time for a declaration
    Why wait for milestones. Specially from a captain who pounces on other teams for aiming for exactly those.


  5. #5
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    47,096
    IIRC Atherton called time once with Hick on 98*. Think it was an Ashes tour. Maybe 97?
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

  6. #6
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Why wait for milestones. Specially from a captain who pounces on other teams for aiming for exactly those.
    Maybe Warne was told that he had only a couple of overs to do his stuff...we dont know whether Ponting would have declared anyway if Warne had have taken his time over it...Warnes 50 came in under 40 balls, it wasnt as though Warne was holding everything up....

    Lara on the other hand slowed down on that third day,and probably batted on maybe a session too long.It wasnt as though Ponting was the only one to question Laras motives..Andy roberts, who was commentating for English radio, was quite vocal when it came to criticising Lara on that third day

  7. #7
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    Maybe Warne was told that he had only a couple of overs to do his stuff...we dont know whether Ponting would have declared anyway if Warne had have taken his time over it...Warnes 50 came in under 40 balls, it wasnt as though Warne was holding everything up....

    Lara on the other hand slowed down on that third day,and probably batted on maybe a session too long.It wasnt as though Ponting was the only one to question Laras motives..Andy roberts, who was commentating for English radio, was quite vocal when it came to criticising Lara on that third day
    but the fact is that
    there was prediction for rain on the last two days
    already a days play was lost due to rain
    the follow on mark was down to 150
    and australia already had more than 500

    and y did they had to wait for some one's to reach a milestone ,which their captain had claimed that they don't do.so there is no question of giving warne x number of overs and it was only a fifty not the hundred which warne desperetly wants

  8. #8
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian
    but the fact is that
    there was prediction for rain on the last two days
    already a days play was lost due to rain
    the follow on mark was down to 150
    and australia already had more than 500

    and y did they had to wait for some one's to reach a milestone ,which their captain had claimed that they don't do.so there is no question of giving warne x number of overs and it was only a fifty not the hundred which warne desperetly wants
    well you cant say what was going through Pontings mind at the time..coz you dont know!!!!

  9. #9
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    well you cant say what was going through Pontings mind at the time..coz you dont know!!!!
    Known for a fact - he waited for Warne to get a pointless milestone before he declared

  10. #10
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...20MAR2005.html

    In around the same time, in the 2nd India-Pakistan test, India did not wait for a possible Irfan Pathan half century. He was making the runs pretty quick and he could have needed just two more overs too to get a possible 50.

    Surprising really that a subcontinental team didnt show the selfishness it is so very acknowledged of showing when an Aussie team shows the milestone attraction.

  11. #11
    State Vice-Captain Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    1,384
    yeah, but like mentioned the declaration would not have made much difference. Also in relation to lara's decision, if i was him i would have done the exact same no doubt.
    Making a crickweb comeback, long time no see!!
    Msn : linkswl@fsmail.net


    The best of the best!!

  12. #12
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Known for a fact - he waited for Warne to get a pointless milestone before he declared
    oh...if he has said that then fair enough.

    However, I think that this is comparing apples to oranges (to use awful management speak)...Ponting delayed the declaration by 2 overs (in my opinion)..Lara delayed a declaration by 2 hours (if not more)..

    here is what Ponting said about Lara:"I've read some of the reports in the paper over the last couple of days about Lara's innings. Their whole first innings might have been geared around one individual performance and they could have let a Test match slip because of it."

    Well I dont think australias innings was geared around Warnes 50 was it..he batted on 2 overs,during a time he was scoring much faster than a run a ball...its a completely different scenario

  13. #13
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    However, I think that this is comparing apples to oranges (to use awful management speak)...Ponting delayed the declaration by 2 overs (in my opinion)..Lara delayed a declaration by 2 hours (if not more)..
    Compare it with Irfan Pathan's inning at a similar pace.

  14. #14
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...20MAR2005.html

    In around the same time, in the 2nd India-Pakistan test, India did not wait for a possible Irfan Pathan half century. He was making the runs pretty quick and he could have needed just two more overs too to get a possible 50.

    Surprising really that a subcontinental team didnt show the selfishness it is so very acknowledged of showing when an Aussie team shows the milestone attraction.
    again..its a completely different scenario..India were trying to break a 0-0 draw vs Pakistan,already 420 in the lead with time in the match ticking away..Australia were only half way through the third day...with a maximum of 220 overs to play....whilst 1-0 up in the series..

    I cant beleive people are quibbling over 2 overs

  15. #15
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Compare it with Irfan Pathan's inning at a similar pace.
    why compare it anyway..you were the one to have a go at Ponting for his comments about Lara..why is India dragged into this all of a sudden

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. aussie jokes
    By Kimbo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-04-2019, 04:48 PM
  2. Aussie media mocks England
    By wahindiawah in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
  3. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
    By Mister Wright in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29-11-2003, 08:56 PM
  4. Next Aussie Stars
    By Andre in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 28-08-2003, 12:57 AM
  5. Aussie Website - Feedback Needed
    By Lach in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •