Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Fulton has back-foot issues" - Bracewell

"Fulton has back-foot issues" - Bracewell

Pretty interesting stuff IMO, considering this is the same selection panel that rate Michael Papps' (non-existent) back-foot game as passable!

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/41015.wma (3 minutes in)

So at 26, where does Fulton go from here?

* He's currently got the second-highest FC ave. in NZ history behind Martin Crowe (for those with 2000+ runs)

* He was the second-highest runscorer on the 'A' tour of SA last year, on pitches that prompted Lou Vincent to say "we're struggling with the bounce".

* NZ provincial attacks aren't getting much faster, or provincial wickets any harder.

* The next 'A' tour is to Sri Lanka in September, not exactly a great back-foot examination.

* Fleming has now been pushed down into the cushy plethora of middle-order options. I think he'll quickly find that planting your front foot outside off to play balls hitting middle and leg won't work against an old ball either, and so much for Graeme Smith (leading from the front with an average of 55 as a LH test opener) being "mentally frail".

Regardless, it seems if Fleming wants to be at # 4 long-term, NZ's first-choice line-up would loom as being 1) Cumming 2) J Marshall 3) H Marshall 4) Fleming 5) Astle 6) Oram.

No Vincent, no Styris, no McMillan, and obviously no Fulton.

* I presume Fulton is in the Major Associations XI to play Sri Lanka next Monday, which may be one last chance for him to absolutely demand selection, despite his perceived flaws.

I heard commentator Steve Davie mention this morning that Otago players Redmond and Todd were included, so if Voltman could check his NZPA wires for the full Major Associations team I'd appreciate it.

Sorry, Kippax - just checked for you, and no sign of it yet.

Thanks for that, Voltman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax
    Pretty interesting stuff IMO, considering this is the same selection panel that rate Michael Papps' (non-existent) back-foot game as passable!

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/41015.wma (3 minutes in)

So at 26, where does Fulton go from here?

* He's currently got the second-highest FC ave. in NZ history behind Martin Crowe (for those with 2000+ runs)

* He was the second-highest runscorer on the 'A' tour of SA last year, on pitches that prompted Lou Vincent to say "we're struggling with the bounce".

* NZ provincial attacks aren't getting much faster, or provincial wickets any harder.

* The next 'A' tour is to Sri Lanka in September, not exactly a great back-foot examination.

* Fleming has now been pushed down into the cushy plethora of middle-order options. I think he'll quickly find that planting your front foot outside off to play balls hitting middle and leg won't work against an old ball either, and so much for Graeme Smith (leading from the front with an average of 55 as a LH test opener) being "mentally frail".

Regardless, it seems if Fleming wants to be at # 4 long-term, NZ's first-choice line-up would loom as being 1) Cumming 2) J Marshall 3) H Marshall 4) Fleming 5) Astle 6) Oram.

No Vincent, no Styris, no McMillan, and obviously no Fulton.

* I presume Fulton is in the Major Associations XI to play Sri Lanka next Monday, which may be one last chance for him to absolutely demand selection, despite his perceived flaws.

I heard commentator Steve Davie mention this morning that Otago players Redmond and Todd were included, so if Voltman could check his NZPA wires for the full Major Associations team I'd appreciate it.
    I think you'll find that Styris will probably bat 6 and Oram 7...
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS
    I think you'll find that Styris will probably bat 6 and Oram 7...
    Perhaps, although I think Oram has said he views himself more as a top 6 batsman in the future than a third seamer.

Oram at 7 would also require him to open the bowling whenever Bracewell wanted to play two spinners. I think we'd probably need Bond to not only come back successfully, but to be one of the world's great pacemen to get away with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax
    Perhaps, although I think Oram has said he views himself more as a top 6 batsman in the future than a third seamer.

Oram at 7 would also require him to open the bowling whenever Bracewell wanted to play two spinners. I think we'd probably need Bond to not only come back successfully, but to be one of the world's great pacemen to get away with that.
    No, if you wanted to play 2 spinners, THEN Styris would go out of the side.

But normally, you play one spinner, meaning you would then have Bond, Franklin/Martin/Butler, Vettori, Oram and Styris, with Astle as backup.

Also, I dont really think it matters what oram views himself as.... Mark Richardson viewed himself as a spinner but he got picked as an opening batsman. James Franklin and Kyle Mills view themselves as allrounders but get picked as bowlers etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS
    No, if you wanted to play 2 spinners, THEN Styris would go out of the side.

But normally, you play one spinner, meaning you would then have Bond, Franklin/Martin/Butler, Vettori, Oram and Styris, with Astle as backup.

Also, I dont really think it matters what oram views himself as.... Mark Richardson viewed himself as a spinner but he got picked as an opening batsman. James Franklin and Kyle Mills view themselves as allrounders but get picked as bowlers etc etc
    Not the best example - five/six years before Rigor was picked, he considered himself a spinner, but certainly not by the time he got picked. In fact, he didn't even think he could bowl any more (despite still getting very good returns in Dunedin club cricket - at the expense of me getting a bowl...).

Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion! Jet Pac Stan Champion!
    Based on the form of NZ's test batsmen they must all have some technical issues. I can't believe Bracewell, a tail-ender, and a coach with a terrible record at test level, has any right to criticise Fulton's technique if he can post consistently more runs than any other batsmen in NZ FC cricket.

And if Fulton has technical deficiencies (as most non-test players do) then he must have no more than the the rest of NZ's top FC batsmen.

I can't wait for the day that Bracewell and the selectors are cast aside for individuals that use common sense and have the balls to bring through players ahead of a crisis.

State 12th Man
    Papps a non existent back foot player? What the? He's got a great cut shot, and he employed the pull and hook shot to pretty good effect against SA last year.

For Fulton - I have seen him many times getting out, while attempting a back foot drive and inside edging it onto the stumps....that's certainly not to suggest he shouldn't be in the NZ side.
    GO THE BLACK CAPS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Not the best example - five/six years before Rigor was picked, he considered himself a spinner, but certainly not by the time he got picked. In fact, he didn't even think he could bowl any more (despite still getting very good returns in Dunedin club cricket - at the expense of me getting a bowl...).
    Yeah.... I was thinking that after I posted it.

But the examples of Franklin and Mills stand tall.

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    If Oram plays it must be as an allrounder. he needs to bat at 6 with McCullum at 7 and four bowlers to follow. Why doesn't Vincent open. The side would then be

Cumming, Vincent, H Marshall, Fleming, Styris, Oram, McCullum, Vettori, plus 3 quicks or 2 quicks and a spinner.

I have not picked Astle due to recent inconsistency. I don't know enough about J Marshall to say if he is better than Vincent as an opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    Papps a non existent back foot player? What the? He's got a great cut shot, and he employed the pull and hook shot to pretty good effect against SA last year.
    It's only fair that someone shuffling down the track pre-delivery and leaning forward is called a serious 'front dogger', Ming.

Papps' cut is played with his weight on the front foot. I'm not convinced by his flinch-pull or flinch-hook (neither were the Proteas), but we can agree to disagree on that one until we get some more evidence.

Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion! Jet Pac Stan Champion!
    If Fulton has a bad back-foot technique then how does he manage to score his runs at a run a ball? Surely he must score all around the wicket, off front and back foot, to score consistently at such a quick rate.

If Oram plays it must be as an allrounder. he needs to bat at 6
    Number 6 is a batsman's position...

So youre saying he should play as a batsman who can bowl...

IMO, youre side should be:

Lou Vincent (for lack of anyone better)
    Craig Cumming
    Hamish Marshall
    Stephen Fleming
    Nathan Astle
    Scott Styris
    Jacob Oram
    Brendon McCullum
    Daniel Vettori
    James Franklin
    Shane Bond

or, if its a turning track:

Lou Vincent
    Craig Cumming
    Hamish Marshall
    Stephen Fleming
    Nathan Astle
    Jacob Oram
    Brendon McCullum
    Daniel Vettori
    James Franklin
    Paul Wiseman
    Shane Bond

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    It just looks to me like another situation where Bracewell has too much control over selections. I know in Australia their coach and Pointing aren;t on the selction panel, but they do have a say. I think the Kiwis could take a leaf out the their neighbours books and let Bracewell consentrate and the coaching of the side and leave the selections to Hadlee and the like.

It is pretty clear that guys like Mills aren't good enough to play international cricket but they continuely get selected, cus their Bracewell favorites, and guys like Futon who are good enough to play Test Cricket get overlooked cus their not Bracewell favorites.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information